Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 02:47 PM

15 posts, read 95,874 times

Advertisements

Would like some information on Belmont in Gaston County. It seems everyone is looking into Union county, though I have heard that commuting to Charlotte can be a nightmare...and certain schools in Fort Mill, SC aren't enrolling anymore children!! So that leaves Gaston County, would really appreciate if someone who knows Belmont could help. Need info on schools, crime, commute and of course, your opinions !! Thank You!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 03:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,762 times
Default Belmont

I live in Belmont and absolutely love it. The commute to Charlotte for me isn't bad at all. I drive in the 9:00 am range. As far as investment I don't think you can beat it. I've heard that Belmont is the next Balentyne. Great community, schools etc... Thats my 2 cents

Old 04-24-2007, 05:13 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,905,951 times
We lived in Belmont in the 90's and loved it. Great town. Probably the easiest commute into Charlotte there is. Good schools, safe, really pretty. One of the biggest pluses is it's not growing at a break-neck pace. Belmont's one of my highest recommendations to others. A real hidden gem!

Old 04-24-2007, 05:28 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,544,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyandres2 View Post
Would like some information on Belmont in Gaston County. It seems everyone is looking into Union county, though I have heard that commuting to Charlotte can be a nightmare...and certain schools in Fort Mill, SC aren't enrolling anymore children!! So that leaves Gaston County, would really appreciate if someone who knows Belmont could help. Need info on schools, crime, commute and of course, your opinions !! Thank You!!
That's where I'm leaning too, there and Cramerton. My son said it's probably going to be an extremely good investment in the long run...course he's looking to inheirit

Old 04-24-2007, 05:41 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,544,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthtodale View Post
I live in Belmont and absolutely love it. The commute to Charlotte for me isn't bad at all. I drive in the 9:00 am range. As far as investment I don't think you can beat it. I've heard that Belmont is the next Balentyne. Great community, schools etc... Thats my 2 cents
As a resident, could you tell me if they have cable there, and which company it is. Just because I'm interested in changing my ISP for my service on my computer.

Also, this is great someone lives there.....are there any established public swimming clubs? Not country clubs, but somewhere you are allowed to join, or pay day by day to swim?

I just love little towns with old charming bungalow homes.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:24 PM

44 posts, read 171,027 times
I grew up in Charlotte but moved to Belmont in '99 and love it. I have 2 kids, one in elementary and the other in middle school and have been very pleased with the schools.

To answer questions from a previous poster...yes, there is cable here. It is through Time Warner. And there is a swim club that you can join, but it doesn't have a pay-per-day option. If you want to do that, the Cramerton Parks and Rec is close by and has a decent public pool with good per-day rates.

Feel free to PM me Moderator cut: soliciting real estate business

Old 05-01-2007, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,453 times
Default Where to look

I grew up in Charlotte but moved away a few years ago. We're planning on moving back this year (yay!) and are starting to think about where to go. Any suggestions on neighborhoods in Belmont would be appreciated. I love the old bungalows that you find in Dilworth in Charlotte but cannot begin to afford them. We'll probably look in the $150-200k range. I'm not familiar with the market there. Where should we start?

Old 05-01-2007, 01:25 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,054 times
Hey there Mikeyandres2 - there is a little more to the story in regard to certain schools in Fort Mill, SC not enrolling children. While it is true that at the start of the new school year (2007) there will be two elementary schools that will not be excepting new students (enrollment freeze)...we still have other 3 other elementary schools within the Fort Mill district that are excepting students. The district also tries to steer away from mobile classroom units. We just had a new middle school open this year, and a new high school that will open at the start of the new school year of 2007. In addition a new elementary school will be open in 2008, with several more schools to be built in the near future.

But with all the said and done.....Belmont, NC is a great area too!

Best of luck to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyandres2 View Post

Old 05-02-2007, 02:34 PM

44 posts, read 171,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bain View Post
I grew up in Charlotte but moved away a few years ago. We're planning on moving back this year (yay!) and are starting to think about where to go. Any suggestions on neighborhoods in Belmont would be appreciated. I love the old bungalows that you find in Dilworth in Charlotte but cannot begin to afford them. We'll probably look in the $150-200k range. I'm not familiar with the market there. Where should we start?
There's not a lot in this price range in Belmont...everything is pricey or mill houses with not a lot in between. But there are a few neighborhoods you can still get into in that range...Abbey Place, Lakewood, Point Crossing, and Heather Glen come to mind. There is also a new Ryan neighborhood, South Point Ridge, that has a few under $200k.

You can PM me with any questions!

Old 05-02-2007, 04:06 PM

928 posts, read 3,851,056 times
The schools in Gaston County are deceptive. You can build a 200K home and get a failing school that is super low on the state standards. Just look at the Historic Area in Gastonia. Most people in the 200K-300K homes use private schools too.

Mount Holly would be the best choice. However, Belmont's south point area has the best schools and are fast growing areas. You get more house for your money in Gaston County. The traffic is very heavy too, however, it can take 30 mintues to travel down a local street in Charlotte which is rather crowded too.

Good Luck with your search. Gaston County uses local neighborhood schools and has no choice plan. You get the school that serves your neighborhood, so your kid might be next to crack heads kids and there's nothing you can do about it. It's very deceptive. Check out every school and their state testing scores before you sign on the line for a house.

Good Luck. I'd be happy to speak privately about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte