Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 04:41 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,657,698 times

Advertisements

As far as O'Brien handling the RW situation... he screwed up. Russell Wilson was special. He's the type of kid you KEEP in order to attract better talent. You dont kick a kid like that off the team in order to keep an unproven talent. Russell Wilson won a Rose Bowl if I'm not mistaken... what did NC State win?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 07:55 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,466,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
As far as O'Brien handling the RW situation... he screwed up. Russell Wilson was special. He's the type of kid you KEEP in order to attract better talent. You dont kick a kid like that off the team in order to keep an unproven talent. Russell Wilson won a Rose Bowl if I'm not mistaken... what did NC State win?
Russell Wilson didn't win a Rose Bowl, Wisconsin did. Wisconsin would have whipped every team in the ACC that year, or most years, so not really a comparison there. I'm sure O'Brien had NCSU in some crap bowl like he did every year he was there, with or without Russell. I love Russell more than probably anyone on here, even have his Seahawks jersey which I purchased BEFORE he ever made a start for them as I KNEW he was special and would win the starting job and be very successful. The kid is a great player and an even better human being, so yeah, it was tough losing him and regardless if he'd stayed at State another season or not, O'Brien was not going to make it two more years with his mediocre results with Debbie Yow at the helm. O'Brien knew this and took the chance that the 2nd season with Glennon (last year) would be a special season as it should have been with a lot of upperclassmen plus Glennon having a full season under his belt, unfortunately for Tom the team was wildly inconsistent and landed in a junk bowl where they got handled by the SEC.

I was on hand in Carter Finley for O'Brien's first game as our coach and his last, I remember that drive home Sunday morning and it being reported he was fired. I was shocked as I thought he'd done just enough to hang on one more year but then elated that we'd move in another direction as it was painfully obvious Tom had reached his ceiling as a head coach at State. Owning UNC for those years was fun though.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:54 PM

3,868 posts, read 4,281,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Justifying the cheating at UNC, by not just the athletes but literally everyone involved from the academic advisors to coaches to tutors to actual professors by saying everyone does that is absolutely ridiculous.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2
99.999% of the professors, advisors and tutors at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill did not have anything to do with one rogue professor, tutor, questionable actions of a coach and players who know the RULES. Again, if the NCAA snoops hard enough around NC State, they'll bag some nice academic fraud cases and other things. The NCAA is like the IRS, once they lock in on ya, get ready for the long haul to clean up shop.

No one is justifying academic fraud but generalizing on any university as a result of the actions of one or a handful of people is ridiculous and riddled with envy in my opinion...and yes, everybody does it or has a player, or a coach, or a tutor, or a professor that is abusing the system.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 07-29-2013 at 03:11 PM..

Old 07-29-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Russell Wilson didn't win a Rose Bowl, Wisconsin did. Wisconsin would have whipped every team in the ACC that year, or most years, so not really a comparison there. I'm sure O'Brien had NCSU in some crap bowl like he did every year he was there, with or without Russell. I love Russell more than probably anyone on here, even have his Seahawks jersey which I purchased BEFORE he ever made a start for them as I KNEW he was special and would win the starting job and be very successful. The kid is a great player and an even better human being, so yeah, it was tough losing him and regardless if he'd stayed at State another season or not, O'Brien was not going to make it two more years with his mediocre results with Debbie Yow at the helm. O'Brien knew this and took the chance that the 2nd season with Glennon (last year) would be a special season as it should have been with a lot of upperclassmen plus Glennon having a full season under his belt, unfortunately for Tom the team was wildly inconsistent and landed in a junk bowl where they got handled by the SEC.

I was on hand in Carter Finley for O'Brien's first game as our coach and his last, I remember that drive home Sunday morning and it being reported he was fired. I was shocked as I thought he'd done just enough to hang on one more year but then elated that we'd move in another direction as it was painfully obvious Tom had reached his ceiling as a head coach at State. Owning UNC for those years was fun though.
Are you remotely insinuating that Wisconsin was that good without RW? Without RW and maybe with him there are teams in the ACC that could have beat them....we're talking about the B1G, not SEC.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Saban is a great coach? Antler Spray + whatever they are drinking in the water in Tuscaloosa = players twice the size of any D1 college athlete at similar positions. If you think it is just the workouts, you are joking yourself. Saban offense = 90% run (i.e. nothing to call home). It is just a matter of time before the NCAA comes calling...

It's not like Alabama will ever show at the Belk Bowl with those juiced athletes.

Florida last year only looked like a good team in one game i.e. FSU. The rest of the games they barely escaped. Louisville's win appeared on a big scale but it really wasn't. Florida should have never been in that game. Fun Fact: Ticket sales and attendance were atrocious for that bowl.

FSU and Miami needs to follow in Louisville's footsteps!?!? That's funny.
Let see here...

Saban won at Michigan State (check)
Saban won at LSU (check)...even ole Les won with his old players
Saban won at Bama (check)

Sounds like he know the formula for success in CFB...don't know what other criteria to use...help me out here...trying to support your case.

Nah, Bama and SEC too much of a cash cow for harsh NCAA violations. Poor Miami, if they had been winning as of late, the NCAA would've applied the wrist slap.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:15 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,453,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Perception is reality.... and the perception last year was Louisville didnt have a chance against the Gators. Doednt matter who was supposed to be in that game. It was a BCS bowl and everyone watched Louisville put on a show.
You sure about everyone? If I recall correctly, it was one of the worst attended bowls.

Quote:
...and yes, FSU and Miamu need to follow in Louisvilles footsteps. Its been a long time since either of these schools exceeded expectations. Miami is a joke... sorry, but itd been a long time (in football years) since Miami has been feared or respected. FSU gets the talent but they always trip up vs Florida or some average team in the ACC (NC State last year).
If the expectation was to win the national championship (i.e. ESPN's hype for FSU), then sure it is hard. Granted, Louisville would never have that lofty expectation. They played in a league last year, where I can't even name half the teams. Hey when Louisville wins 5 straight bowls... come talk.

Louisville, enjoy mediocrity your first year in the ACC when Teddy graduates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfHowl
Wisconsin would have whipped every team in the ACC that year, or most years, so not really a comparison there.
Not in 2008

Old 07-29-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:

Wisconsin would beat most ACC teams without Wilson... you can try to downplay Wilsons contribution but you know darn well they wouldnt win a Rose Bowl without him that year. The kid is clutch...

Its a shame NC State didnt let him finish his career... pretty scummy to give a senior the boot for a lesser talent.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
You sure about everyone? If I recall correctly, it was one of the worst attended bowls.

If the expectation was to win the national championship (i.e. ESPN's hype for FSU), then sure it is hard. Granted, Louisville would never have that lofty expectation. They played in a league last year, where I can't even name half the teams. Hey when Louisville wins 5 straight bowls... come talk.

Louisville, enjoy mediocrity your first year in the ACC when Teddy graduates.

Not in 2008
Yes... everyone who watched.

The expectation for FSU used to be a national title but umm.... how about beating lesser talent in the ACC? Beat Florida...

As far as the Ville goes... they definitely have a beast at QB but I have a feeling Strong has another QB or 2 down in Florida. When you put on a show in a BCS game its easier to recruit talent.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
99.999% of the professors, advisors and tutors at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill did not have anything to do with one rogue professor, tutor, questionable actions of a coach and players who know the RULES. Again, if the NCAA snoops hard enough around NC State, they'll bag some nice academic fraud cases and other things. The NCAA is like the IRS, once they lock in on ya, get ready for the long haul to clean up shop.

No one is justifying academic fraud but generalizing on any university as a result of the actions of one or a handful of people is ridiculous and riddled with envy in my opinion...and yes, everybody does it or has a player, or a coach, or a tutor, or a professor that is abusing the system.
I can name multiple people in authority at UNC that no longer work there because of their involvement in this scandal, certainly isn't .01%. You have people that are directly associated with agents, multiple cases of that actually, associated with known felons, professors that make up classes for athletes only, tutors doing improper assisting, etc. etc. the list literally keeps going and going! It's not just the football team either, just look at your boy PJ Hairston. He can't keep his nose out of the police blotter and is even linked to a felon, along with another member of the UNC team, receiving improper benefits and being stupid enough to post it on social media! The NCAA has literally done NOTHING. Ol' Roy FINALLY was forced to "indefinitely" suspend PJ today after this last speeding ticket, in a car that isn't his (shocker) for going 93 in a 65. I am sure Roy will make him sit the entire first half of the blue/white game to show UNC and his loyal, blind fans just how serious he is about running a tight ship. Certainly LMAO at all the UNC fans that somehow, someway, still justify all the nonsense that has gone on over there for the last few years.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Are you remotely insinuating that Wisconsin was that good without RW? Without RW and maybe with him there are teams in the ACC that could have beat them....we're talking about the B1G, not SEC.
Who in the heck in the sorry ACC would have beat Wisconsin two years ago? Maybe our ACC Champ Clemson that got smoked by WVU, giving up 70 points along the way? The ACC has been so mediocre in football for so long it's hard to even say that we'd be really competitive with teams in the Big East much less the Big Ten, certainly not before we got Louisville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte