Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 02:35 PM

17 posts, read 41,910 times

Advertisements

I am loking to buy a home on the water on Lake Norman.

I am not from the state.

I have heard the water levels are at a all time low. How do you know that they will be back up by next summer?

Does Duke Power have anything to do with it?

One of the homes is on water that is like mud.

I am very nervous.

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 03:10 PM

153 posts, read 468,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need to know View Post
I am loking to buy a home on the water on Lake Norman.

I am not from the state.

I have heard the water levels are at a all time low. How do you know that they will be back up by next summer?

Does Duke Power have anything to do with it?

One of the homes is on water that is like mud.

I am very nervous.

Thanks for any help!
Buy a lot (or home) that has a "main channel" lot, this way your shoreline may recede, but, the water will not dry up, if you purchase in a cove you will have the possibility of a seasonal waterfront lot (season being another drought like the one we are currently experiencing) A main channel lot will be a little more expensive but, if you are nervous, a main channel lot will alleviate any concerns of not having water all of the time. Yes, Duke does have some control over water levels, my understanding is that they manage it very well. Let me know if you have additional questions that I may be able to answer.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:17 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Something in the neighborhood of 14 feet lower than normal. Duke power has to have vested interest in how much water is in the lake.....If the water level drops to much god help anyone within 30 miles from the plant.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:36 PM

536 posts, read 1,693,888 times
Default question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Something in the neighborhood of 14 feet lower than normal. Duke power has to have vested interest in how much water is in the lake.....If the water level drops to much god help anyone within 30 miles from the plant.
Why? Explain more please about the 30 miles?

Old 11-11-2007, 06:56 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Default Uh, McGuire is a nuclear plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith "Baby-Face" Lutz View Post
You can google McGuire and find all sorts of interesting articles

Drought fueling power concerns: Duke facing a problem as water level drops on Lake Norman (http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock%20News/770725/ - broken link)

Old 11-11-2007, 11:07 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,235,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith "Baby-Face" Lutz View Post
They use the lake water for cooling. If the lake water gets too low, there will be no cooling going on.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:47 AM

999 posts, read 4,653,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
They use the lake water for cooling. If the lake water gets too low, there will be no cooling going on.
They would simply have to shut down, let's not scare anyone here with thoughts of a meltdown!
from the linked article in a previous response:
"If Duke loses the race with Mother Nature, it could be forced to temporarily shut down the plant, according to its operating license with the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission."

Old 11-12-2007, 08:52 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanchris2000 View Post
They would simply have to shut down, let's not scare anyone here with thoughts of a meltdown!
from the linked article in a previous response:
"If Duke loses the race with Mother Nature, it could be forced to temporarily shut down the plant, according to its operating license with the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission."

Who said anything about a melt down? I was referring to losing a large percentage of our power. A melt down wouldn't be likely but is possible although they were scheduled to renew fuel in 2008 anyways. You don't wonder why they are in such a hurry to get this problem solved and get to a point where they can use lower water levels and still have the ability to cool the reactor.

20 miles goes all the way to uptown. 30 would cover most of Charlotte.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:30 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Default Low water = cooling issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Who said anything about a melt down? I was referring to losing a large percentage of our power. A melt down wouldn't be likely but is possible although they were scheduled to renew fuel in 2008 anyways. You don't wonder why they are in such a hurry to get this problem solved and get to a point where they can use lower water levels and still have the ability to cool the reactor.

20 miles goes all the way to uptown. 30 would cover most of
Charlotte.
Dear me! I did not mean to insinuate a "melt down" either! That is why I posted the link -- so everyone could read for him/herself about the cooling issue.

I totally understood BigJon's earlier post - meaning - loss of power to a large region. Surely no one thought we were saying - melt down. I guess anything is possible but NRA is right there, working w/ officials.

I was at the opening of the McGuire plant back in the 60s!!! My dad wanted to check it out so we trekked to the plant for the "ribbon cutting." We are very fortunate to have nuclear power here. Safety issues are under constant scrutiny. Lake Norman would not exist if it were not for Duke Power creating it.

Nuclear power issues aside, LKN is a very desirable place to live. Wish I could afford a lake lot home, LOL!!! I don't foresee the region ever becoming another Love Canal - Didn't mean to suggest it, either!

Old 11-14-2007, 09:47 AM

295 posts, read 1,298,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Nuclear power issues aside, LKN is a very desirable place to live. Wish I could afford a lake lot home, LOL!!! I don't foresee the region ever becoming another Love Canal - Didn't mean to suggest it, either!
Love Canal wasn't a nuclear power issue. You might be thinking of 3-mile Island.

As for having nuclear power in Charlotte - I agree that its a good thing. If it weren't for 3-mile Island, there would be a lot more nuclear power plants in the country and we as a nation would be in a better situation with our power grid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte