Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 01:22 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,813,691 times

Advertisements

Thanks Barosa! I am doing this on a budget so it has to be a desktop. But thanks for the tips. I will write down what I see tomorrow and compare online. I hadn't thought of amazon! I use them for everything else plus have their prime so it's like duh for me.

whispers-you mean there is a bad part in Charlotte? (just kidding! don't shoot!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 02:53 PM

642 posts, read 1,170,152 times
One thing, if you are going to trash your old PC, and you do not mind keeping your old OS, what ever it be, you can transfer the license to the new PC and save yourself the cost of a new OS.

Of course you may hanker after Windows 8 but, XP (and others) are still a very vaible OSs for home use if you are on a really tight budget.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:43 PM

37 posts, read 62,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krokus View Post
One thing, if you are going to trash your old PC, and you do not mind keeping your old OS, what ever it be, you can transfer the license to the new PC and save yourself the cost of a new OS.

Of course you may hanker after Windows 8 but, XP (and others) are still a very viable OSs for home use if you are on a really tight budget.

Agreed. I trashed an old computer but installed XP on it and used the license from the computer I trashed. I have ditched ditched that one and built a win 7 machine. Got my components from NewEgg.
remember that Microsoft is ending their support for XP very soon. That will be important as far as security issues going forward.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:50 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,813,691 times
Both computers unfortunately have windows 8. I am actively looking for win 7 for the new computers. I will probably put the older computers back to Vista before donating (original software for them) and use the win 8 on my laptops. Win 8 does well on them. Again thanks!

Old 08-16-2013, 05:35 AM

821 posts, read 1,854,112 times
We have had three built by ATD Computers on the north side of Charlotte (they closed their store on Monroe Road where we had the PCs built. The consolidated two stores). Talk to Ryan and tell him your requirements.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:01 AM

37 posts, read 62,014 times
I second ADT.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgmommie View Post
remember that Microsoft is ending their support for XP very soon. That will be important as far as security issues going forward.
No really. Nearly all the improved security that MS have put into their newer OSs is to protect the user from themselves. I say this because a well setup PC is very hard to attack so long as you follow some simple rules.
- Set the firewalls on your home router and all your PCs to reject all request packets except on port 80
- have a decent anti-virus/malware program that is correctly set up and that you actually RUN on a regular basis. Mine runs 3 times daily and deep scans every week.
- Don't download (and run) from unknown/untrusted/unscanned sources.
- Don't open unknown/unscanned email attachments
- Stay clear of websites that are likely to try to execute "drive-by" scripts.
- Disable browser add-ins and unknown toolbars(Java is getting better).
- Use a heirarchy or passwords based on their importance. Change them regularly and do not use the same ones over and over.

I could go on and on here but all of the above is really just common sense.

Lastly, if "they" want to get you, they will. There is stuff out there that makes even my bald head of hair curl. However since you are not Uncle Sam or a place that contains profitable (any definition) they probably won't bother.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:50 AM

279 posts, read 447,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krokus View Post
- Set the firewalls on your home router and all your PCs to reject all request packets except on port 80
You should not allow any request (non ACK) packets on the untrusted side, and especially on port 80. On the home side it really doesn't matter that much as long as you have the wireless security nailed down.

---------------

I got tired of constantly trying to keep ahead of the endless problems with Windows security. I recently spend 3 days cleaning a very nasty virus off my Mom's machine because of it. For my own personal use on machines where I'm not running software that absolutely requires Windows (games) then it's Arch Linux.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barфsa View Post
You should not allow any request (non ACK) packets on the untrusted side, and especially on port 80. On the home side it really doesn't matter that much as long as you have the wireless security nailed down.

---------------

I got tired of constantly trying to keep ahead of the endless problems with Windows security. I recently spend 3 days cleaning a very nasty virus off my Mom's machine because of it. For my own personal use on machines where I'm not running software that absolutely requires Windows (games) then it's Arch Linux.
Errrmm. Every website load starts with an ACK packet (hi, here I am.). Port 80 has to be open on the PC.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:31 PM

834 posts, read 1,015,596 times
Haswell->DDR3-1xxx and Piledriver->DDR3-1xxx and SATA-600 is current, good luck getting that from a retailer or PC shop..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte