Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2007, 08:04 PM

3 posts, read 19,914 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Charlotte, NC from Buffalo, NY. Me and my sister are trying to move by the end of January 2008. (Soon huh?) Anyway, I need some sort of guidance. I dont know where to begin... first of all, I need a place to live. I've been to Charlotte to visit. I've seen a few of the apartment complexes. but i want to rent a house. In NY a two bedroom house rents for like 550/mth. What is the average going price for a 2-bedroom house in Charlotte? I have family on the west side, and i think that i want to stay in this area. or maybe the University District? Are there any sites i should look at?
My next concern is a job. I currently work at a group home for people with mental retardation and learning dissabilities. I woud like to stay in this field. are there any agencies in Charlotte like this? someone told me to try United Way, but they are not hiring. What job fields are really prospering down there? If anyone can give me some information on job searching that would be appreciated.
other than that i am just wondering if there are any other things i should be looking into as far as relocation?
PLEASE HELP!!!!
also, what is a relocation packet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 08:45 PM

450 posts, read 2,322,258 times
Not sure about jobs, but would you consider checking into nursing homes and senior citizens homes as well? Just an idea...it seems to me like nursing homes and assisted living facilities are always in need of good help..

As for houses to rent, $550 seems kind of low. I can't believe anywhere in NY state would have houses to rent at that price. Wow. I'd think cost of living is much higher anywhere up there....I know most areas that I am familiar with in Charlotte seem to at least be about $700-800/month for a house...I lived in Concord, and it should be cheaper than a lot of areas of Charlotte, and modest homes there were going for about $700 a month.

If you're looking into apartments and wanted to be in the University area of Charlotte, I'd recommend going 15-20 minutes north of the Unviersity to Concord, off I-85, and looking into renting a townhome at CaraLea Valley. I am not up on the current pricing but I lived there for a few years before moving into a house, and it was a quiet community and the townhomes are pretty nice. At the time the 2 bedroom townhomes were $550 a month or so- I am sure it's gone up now, but probably not a whole lot. They also have apartments....it's nicely landscaped and a pretty home-like feel to it. I doubt it's changed that much since I lived there, and my only complaint was the walls are kind of thin, you can hear your neighbor's phone ringing and tv and toilet flushing. But I had decent neighbors.

Other than that, I still recommend looking into Concord if you don't mind being just outside of Charlotte, or perhaps look into Harrisburg where they have a lot of condos for sale and rent. I forget the name of the place but they are 10 minutes north of UNCC off Hwy 49 (Unversity City Blvd), and it's a community of townhomes and condos..it's very nice and I know some people buy them to rent. I'm sorry I don't remember their names, but they're the only ones in Harrisburg I think, right there around the new town hall. If you drive on 49N of UNCC you can't miss them, they'd be on your left.

I am not much help on house rentals...I'd probably stay away from apartments right around the University, they are having some robberies and crime issues, plus they're usually noisy, lots of students partying,,,been there, done that.

If you have any more specific questions I'd be happy to try to help or try to find out for you-- I am mostly familiar with the University area in Charlotte although I did work in Uptown, I lived for a while in University then moved out to Concord. I can also tell you, UNC-Charlotte has a good Disability Services office for the college students, so maybe if you contact them they can direct you to employment in the area for working with people with learning disabilities and mental retardation, or possibly, you could work there for a while while looking for employment. The Disabilit Services works mainly with assisting the college students with their needs while in college there, such as providing help such as notetakers for students with learning disabilities and ADD, dyslexia, etc. But they still might be aware of other services in the community that deal with adults with other types of issues.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:53 AM

8,956 posts, read 20,379,888 times
We just moved to NC a month ago and are now renting a nice (and new) large 2-bedroom apartment in Huntersville (Giland Street). The apartment has a new washer/dryer, new frig, new dishwasher and beautiful up-to-date lighting fixtures. We didn't want to live "in" Charlotte and our apartment is just north of Charlotte. It cost us almost a $1,000 a month (renting an enclosed garage also), but it sure is nice. After a year or so, we will be looking for a "ranch" style house in this area. We wanted to live close to Lake Norman because we LOVE boating.
Job wise. My career is in Purchasing/Inventory Management and my wife is a degreed Accountant. We are continuing our search for jobs, but it's not easy here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte