Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2013, 07:26 PM

69 posts, read 107,732 times

Advertisements

Have moved several times across country, but it has been 14yrs. since last one.
Can you recommend moving companies and/or advise which ones to avoid?
Moving from TX to Charlotte.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 07:41 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,989,061 times
We've used United Van Lines in the recent past (2007, 2012, and currently using them for another move). We've had great experiences. However, like all moving companies, there are differences in agencies. For example, Suddath-United in Jacksonville FL is excellent, but Suddath-United in Charlotte not so great. Our move coordinator is actually Andresen-United in Massachusetts, and she's handling our move from Charlotte to FL using the local Hildrup-United.

The key, in my opinion, is to find a good coordinator for whichever moving company you ultimately choose. So, when you're calling for quotes, take note of the personality of the person you talk to.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:00 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,992,985 times
If you don't mind driving the truck, rent the truck and hire a loading crew and an unloading crew. I used this site to find mine: U-Haul: Moving Help moving labor service

I save thousands on my move from MI.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:47 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
This site is a pretty good resource and has reviews of moving companies nationwide:

Links | MovingScam.com

I'm using it to coordinate our move.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:18 AM

328 posts, read 616,385 times
We had really good luck with All My Sons. I'd check them out.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:43 AM

14 posts, read 24,872 times
We went the ADF-UPack route (they drop off a 28' commercial shipping trailer, you load it, pay by the linear foot, they fill the remainder with commercial freight, deliver that, and then deliver the trailer to your destination where you unload it).

Even with contracting with their partner moving staff company on both sides of the move, it was still only about 1/3 of the cost of a full service multi-state move. And we went with the "deluxe" package, which included the moving staffers on the departure end breaking down and packing all the furniture, mirrors, pictures, lamps, etc. And (theoretically), on the NC side, they were to assemble the beds, unpack all the furniture and cart off all the packing materials.

On the NY side of the equation, those guys were like magic - consummate professionals who did such an amazing job I A) wished we had just spent the extra money and contracted with them to do the full service move (though we really couldn't afford that), and B) actually left me kind of dumbstruck with how good they were.

On the NC side, though, the experience was like night and day. First off, the truck driver completely ignored the spot we had had marked off with cones from the local PD and in the process took out a neighbor's tree limb. Great first impression.

And the moving staffers? Total cluster-whatchacallit, completely unprofessional (didn't even have a box-cutter; had to borrow our scissors to cut through the packing material, which they had no way of carting off at the end of the job; no tools to re-assemble furniture, and seemed shocked that they'd even be expected to do so; left boxes just wherever they felt like it (even though they were instructed repeatedly where certain things were to go); etc.

Not to take anything away from the guys - they busted their humps, but they in no way provided the service we paid for. And I would in no way hire that company ever again.

So, while ADF-UPack was definitely a money saver, the folks you work with in terms of their staffing partners, and their drivers as well, are a complete crapshoot.

I should add - we researched our options pretty exhaustively on the site Mike mentions up above, and it seemed like ADF was our best bet. So, just remember that no matter how many reviews you read, YMMV. ANd like I said (and mawipafl said before me), even within one particular mover/service/company, if you're dealing with different teams at different ends, you may have wildly different experiences.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:51 PM

531 posts, read 1,079,702 times
EasyMovers. They did several moves for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte