Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 11:00 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,722,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
You don't have to attend the "game" to form an objective opinion but I don't think it so much dinks and dunks versus caliber of receivers on the team and play calling. The Panthers have invested a lot of resources into the D Line and LBs and it shows, and valued engineered development of a solid receiver cast for Cam.

The Seahawks secondary is probably the best in the NFL and with the Panther's having a marginal receiver corps (aside from Steve Smith), Cam did the right thing to avoid a big TO. The team self-destructed and did enough damage with silly penalties, pre-season mistakes without Cam contributing to the mess via a INT. Anytime your QB doesn't turn the ball over and the team is a position to win late in the 4th Qtr...what else could you ask for. Hopefully, Ginn becomes the goto guy for a down field threat.

Cam didn't have a chance to win this game down the final stretch this time (yes, he hasn't closed the deal on several occassions), they never got the ball back after the DWs fumble. Mark Sanchez? I like Russell Wilson, always have, but he did get away with a few "wish" throws that would've been picked off if the Panthers had equal talent in the secondary as Seattle..
I'm not really buying the caliber of receivers argument...The panthers have viable goto guys in Steve Smith and Greg Olson.

Compare what Tom Brady is working with....( Julian Edelman, brittle Danny Amendola, an untested rookie in Kembrell Tomkins, & 1 healthy running back in Steven Ridley....)

I guess the jury is out whether its more of the actual play calling or if Cam cannot find anyone open, or he is not pulling the trigger....

Old 09-10-2013, 01:15 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,276,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I'm not really buying the caliber of receivers argument...The panthers have viable goto guys in Steve Smith and Greg Olson.

Compare what Tom Brady is working with....( Julian Edelman, brittle Danny Amendola, an untested rookie in Kembrell Tomkins, & 1 healthy running back in Steven Ridley....)

I guess the jury is out whether its more of the actual play calling or if Cam cannot find anyone open, or he is not pulling the trigger....
First Mark Sanchez and now Tom Brady? It was the Seattle Seahawks, the best secondary in the NFL with a extremely conservative play calling game plan. Were the Panthers picked to win the game? No, Vegas is pretty good at that thing. Did they have a chance to win? Yes. Did Cam cost them the game? No. As great as Seattle is claimed to be, they barely scrapped out 12 points with Wilson who again was fortunate not to have a safety called and 2 ints. It's ok to be good but sometimes better to be good and lucky.

Cam isn't Tom Brady and surely isn't Mark Sanchez. Brady is a Hall of Famer but even he can't mask the deficiency in an inept receiver corps....it's a longggg season.

Whether Cam is the future QB or not, the Panthers need another receiver to step up their game. They didn't invest in any during the off season but Hixon, who might be available next game. It isn't all Cam.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:56 PM

This is kind of what both of us are saying in this article...

Is the Carolina Panthers offense simply not good enough? | CharlotteObserver.com

Old 09-10-2013, 04:57 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
I still have yet to watch the game.. I have it on my DVR. Listening to Steve Smith on the radio yesterday he said they had deep routes but Cam was checking down because of the D. That Seattle secondary is probably the best in football.

Wilson is shifty... and the kid can make plays but watching the highlights it looked like he chucked a few up on a hope and a prayer and the WR made great plays.

Did someone say Mark Sanchez? lol... that dude is horrible. Defense and rushing game made him look good. He is what he is...

Brady is going to struggle this year...over the years they have done a lot with a little due to having a grear scheme but this year he will struggle without his safety valves in Welker and Gronk... and Hernendez.

The Bills arent an easy win..they have a decent DL and that will cause problems because the OL is bunk.

That being said... this almost winning needs to stop. Every close game a player steps up and accepte the roll of the spoiler.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post

Brady's passing attack is booty right now...

Most teams have 3 WR's abd a TE. This team failed in the WR dept. LaFell isnt a legit #2. Ginn is a speedster but that's it.. I dont think he is a good route runner. I base that on nothing but my opinion because I havent heard about him being discussed in WR convos. Hopefully Nix steps up but you can't ask why this team isnt flourishing in the passing game when you have a 13 yr 5 '9" #1 and nothing else at WR.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:38 PM

359 posts, read 591,724 times
LOL you are ridiculous

Andrew Luck doesn't have better targets (Old man Reggie Wayne & young TE's with Darius Heyward-Bey who has done nothing)
Russell Wilson doesn't have better targets (Golden Tate & Sidney Rice...neither who are amazing or even #1's)
Colin Kaepernick doesn't have better targets (Anquan Boldin & Vernon Davis...solid 1-2 combo just like Carolina)
RGIII doesn't have better targets (Pierre Garcon & Fred Davis with Santana Moss in the slot...Hankerson isn't a big name guy)

Get out of here with the WR dept not being great.

Cam is supposed to be the star who elevates the game of others. He hasn't stepped up and made the big plays or elevated his teammates and willed them to victory.

Don't even talk about that fumble either. That drive was extended by a bonehead SEA facemask. They should've punted way before if you want to play the "what if" game.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:59 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,463,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum View Post
LOL you are ridiculous

Andrew Luck doesn't have better targets (Old man Reggie Wayne & young TE's with Darius Heyward-Bey who has done nothing)
Russell Wilson doesn't have better targets (Golden Tate & Sidney Rice...neither who are amazing or even #1's)
Colin Kaepernick doesn't have better targets (Anquan Boldin & Vernon Davis...solid 1-2 combo just like Carolina)
RGIII doesn't have better targets (Pierre Garcon & Fred Davis with Santana Moss in the slot...Hankerson isn't a big name guy)

Cam is supposed to be the star who elevates the game of others. He hasn't stepped up and made the big plays or elevated his teammates and willed them to victory.

Don't even talk about that fumble either. That drive was extended by a bonehead SEA facemask. They should've punted way before if you want to play the "what if" game.
Thank you for stating the obvious here.

Love whoever keeps saying how Russell Wilson "should" have had two picks but somehow he didn't? Weird. Get out of here with the should have, could have mess.

As far as the WR's go, yeah the Panther's don't have great ones but I'd say they are as good as what Seattle was trotting out there but somehow Wilson throws for 320 and leads them to a victory with some WR who's never caught much of anything in the NFL being the recipient of that TD.

I'm not even blaming this one on Cam, I thought his arm looked very good and our WR/TE did not help him with some drops either. DW had a nice per carry average but the turnovers hurt. You put the ball on the ground against a good team and you'll pay for it, which we did. The offensive play calling was lack luster and predictable as well. Both are horrible combinations against a very solid defense, who by the way, were missing a LOT of their playmakers on defense.

The Buffalo game is no gimme and I'd actually take Vegas up on their spread right now as I don't think we come away with a victory, much less 3.5 points.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
LOL you are ridiculous

When was the last time the Panthers drafted a receiver that has panned out? Luck also has T. Hilton and D. Allen...young studs. All of those QBs have a younger and more talented receiver corps.

I hope Ginn or Hixon comes around. I'm no Cam booster but it's quite obvious the Panthers haven't invested much into upgrading Cam's supporting cast...ad hoc at best in a passing league.

Jimmy Clausen's gone, get over it. I guess Cam should've been on spot to recover DWs fumble....to elevate his game? No, Cam has do one thing and one thing only, get the ball to the open receiver and score points. For Panther fans, let's hope Shula deploys a stronger passing attack/strategy for the Buffalo game.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Thank you for stating the obvious here.

Love whoever keeps saying how Russell Wilson "should" have had two picks but somehow he didn't? Weird. Get out of here with the should have, could have mess.

As far as the WR's go, yeah the Panther's don't have great ones but I'd say they are as good as what Seattle was trotting out there but somehow Wilson throws for 320 and leads them to a victory with some WR who's never caught much of anything in the NFL being the recipient of that TD.

I'm not even blaming this one on Cam, I thought his arm looked very good and our WR/TE did not help him with some drops either. DW had a nice per carry average but the turnovers hurt. You put the ball on the ground against a good team and you'll pay for it, which we did. The offensive play calling was lack luster and predictable as well. Both are horrible combinations against a very solid defense, who by the way, were missing a LOT of their playmakers on defense.

The Buffalo game is no gimme and I'd actually take Vegas up on their spread right now as I don't think we come away with a victory, much less 3.5 points.
RW did get lucky with the scramble whip around and fingers crossed on a few throws. Are you comparing the Panthers secondary to Seattles secondary? That's why RW decided to throw the ball up for grabs in a few cases. I'm sure the Panthers coaches told Cam to beware and Seattle coaches reminded RW about the weak link of the Panthers D. Whatever, the Seattle TD throw was all on the receiver. Just the previous play, the same DB got burnt with a good throw from RW but that receiver had butter fingers.

It's not shoulda coulda but quite obvious. Panthers had costly turnovers and deployed a conservative passing attack.

If Cam blows against Buffalo with a different passing attack, then we'll see what if any moves the coaches decide to make. I think Cam did exactly what coaches wanted him to do for the Seattle game, don't turn the ball over, play it safe and depend on the D to impact the game. If not for a couple of bonehead plays and TOs, the strategy might have worked.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
LOL you are ridiculous

Old man Reggie is 6ft tall... and they also have TY Hilton

Golden Tate and Sidney Rice... I heard about them in college. Did you hear about LaFell in college?

Anquan Boldin has 2 SB appearances, was pretty much the safety valve in Baltimore and had 200 yards last week on 14 catches.

Washington? True.. but they aren't that good, and they looked horrible until the last quarter on Monday night. Last year when they played the Steelers they had 10 dropped passes... and they also lost to Carolina. Not sure what you are getting at but I think the 1600 yard RB had a lot to do with their success last year.

You guys are lying to yourselves if you think Carolina has good targets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte