Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2007, 08:40 AM

89 posts, read 311,913 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all. Been lurking here for weeks reading and reading and reading..

I have a few questions that I have not found answers to:

My situation: Moving from Denver and starting over again.. its a life change for me going from Corp america to running several small business's and being closer to my brother and 2 nieces.

I am renting a furnished home on Lake Norman for a few months while my girlfriend looks for a job.. we want to buy/rent near where she finds a job. She is a Parallegal.

Questions:

Storage:
I bought a 26ft moving truck and will need to store it (park it) near lake norman.. Any ideas? I am on the southern part of LM... west side of the lake.

I have a Porsche I am restoring.. would like to begin working on it right away when I get there.. any ideas how I would find shop space to rent (I have tried craigslist and found little to nothing).

Housing:

I was looking in the Mclintock neighborhood.. and we LOVED it.. but very few houses for sale now in my range (Under $175k). I MUST HAVE LARGE TREEs.

Ideally I really need a piece of property that has a big workshop or enough land and zoning to put up a "pole barn" for a workshop.. How far out of the city am I looking at to do this? I could spend more if it had a shop.. up to about $200k.

My plan is to wait for my GF to find a job (while pushing her in the right directions) before buying a house.. so she is within 20 minutes drive IN TRAFFIC.. I am asking her to look in the fringes FIRST otherwise it will be impossible to buy the property I want and I will end up having to rent or buy commercial property.

Oh, my business's do not require me to live anywhere in particular.. I have 3 ideas one of which I already started.. I have a trucking company that hauls cars (all my work is done in my PJ's at the kitchen table).. the others are a wrought iron fence and railing building business, Porsche restoration, and stainless steel counter top (residential) custom fabrication...

Crazy huh? and I am a 6 figure IT professional now.. done with it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 08:48 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,427,768 times
In case you don't know, vehicles and boats are taxed annually in NC and it can get expensive.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:50 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Default Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barchetta View Post

Oh, my business's do not require me to live anywhere in particular.. I have 3 ideas one of which I already started.. I have a trucking company that hauls cars (all my work is done in my PJ's at the kitchen table).. the others are a wrought iron fence and railing building business, Porsche restoration, and stainless steel counter top (residential) custom fabrication...

Crazy huh? and I am a 6 figure IT professional now.. done with it!
Please let us know when you get the Porsche restoration business up and going. Have a 914 sitting in a barn in a neighboring county! The only problem - $$$ to pour into it.!!! I need to find someone who will do it in increments so I can space out the $$$.

As for your requirements w/ land . . . just have no clue close in to CLT. You could go N to Iredell or Alexander Co . . . but that won't solve your dilemma w/ g/f's commute.

Maybe someone else will have better advice about finding a location that might work for you . . .

Old 11-16-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Please let us know when you get the Porsche restoration business up and going. Have a 914 sitting in a barn in a neighboring county! The only problem - $$$ to pour into it.!!! I need to find someone who will do it in increments so I can space out the $$$.

As for your requirements w/ land . . . just have no clue close in to CLT. You could go N to Iredell or Alexander Co . . . but that won't solve your dilemma w/ g/f's commute.

Maybe someone else will have better advice about finding a location that might work for you . . .
I've seen some properties.. I just need to wait until she finds something..

Sorry, I only do am interested in 911 Porsches.. and I dont plan on doing other peoples cars.. just my own and then I will resell.. I have a 69' that is 80% if anybody is looking.. they are appreciating 15% per year! Its an investment!

Not looking forward to the humidity there

Old 11-16-2007, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
In case you don't know, vehicles and boats are taxed annually in NC and it can get expensive.
Not a problem since I never register my cars.. but thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte