Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 10:41 AM

43 posts, read 118,458 times

Advertisements

Was trying to transfer my current high speed internet to new location in Steele Creek area of city and when calling AT&T they state that Uverse is not available in all areas of zip 28273. I have been pleased with them as my internet service provider thus far. However, a little irritated now that after pricing promo ended service was $52/month AND I had to pay their special modem for $99, of which now I don't have use for and have to buy new.

I tried going with Time Warner Cable and been routed to several different people b/c they say that house "is not serviceable" despite the house next door having service. Their records are wrong and having a time to correct.

I forgot that DISH has high speed internet through satellite and I love DISH and have them for my TV. I never really looked into them b/c I thought satelitte internet was expensive. But, reading online this morning after the TWC fiasco I see they have packages starting at $39/mo and you get $10 off your TV bill! Looks like though speed is around 10mbps where TWC is ~15. I am not really sure how much faster 10 vs 15 is? Anyone else have DISH as internet provider and is it good?

Who would have thought getting high speed internet would be this hard in Steele Creek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 01:26 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Check out www.windstream.com and Home - EarthLink Mobile

Now Earthlink will be installed by TWC but you deal with Earthlink. I had them for years before switching to windstream simply because where I move, windstream was half the price so I jumped on it.

I looked into the satellite a couple of years ago but it was too pricey. The pricing you are posting now aren't bad.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:51 AM

198 posts, read 291,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Check out www.windstream.com and Home - EarthLink Mobile

Now Earthlink will be installed by TWC but you deal with Earthlink. I had them for years before switching to windstream simply because where I move, windstream was half the price so I jumped on it.

I looked into the satellite a couple of years ago but it was too pricey. The pricing you are posting now aren't bad.
I was looking up windstream - but did not find Charlotte as a listed city.. does it mean i have to stick to TWC :-(

Old 11-11-2013, 11:07 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinChanInNC View Post
I was looking up windstream - but did not find Charlotte as a listed city.. does it mean i have to stick to TWC :-(
You must entered in wrong zip code, Windstream is definitely in Charlotte as they have a few offices in the city and a call center in Matthews.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:52 AM

372 posts, read 659,482 times
Quote:
Windstream is very confusing. If you call their customer service, they will swear that they do not service Steele Creek even though I see their trucks in my subdivision occasionally.

Not sure what Dish uses for satellite. We currently have Direct for our tv, which we are very happy with. However, they sublet their internet service through another provider which had HORRIBLE reviews.

In the end, we use TW, but I wish there were better options as well.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:05 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glmore View Post
Windstream is very confusing. If you call their customer service, they will swear that they do not service Steele Creek even though I see their trucks in my subdivision occasionally.

Not sure what Dish uses for satellite. We currently have Direct for our tv, which we are very happy with. However, they sublet their internet service through another provider which had HORRIBLE reviews.

In the end, we use TW, but I wish there were better options as well.
There is no better option than TW internet here.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
You must entered in wrong zip code, Windstream is definitely in Charlotte as they have a few offices in the city and a call center in Matthews.
Thanks Sunny for letting me know... I am trying with 28270.. let me try one more time..

Old 11-12-2013, 05:06 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Quote:
Thanks Sunny for letting me know... I am trying with 28270.. let me try one more time..
It won't let you pick Charlotte. It's stupid but you have to choose Matthews as your city even though when you put in your address and zip it's clearly NOT Matthews. You can call if it didn't work. But that zip should be covered.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:30 PM

958 posts, read 1,725,228 times
TW Cable is pretty darn good.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
It won't let you pick Charlotte. It's stupid but you have to choose Matthews as your city even though when you put in your address and zip it's clearly NOT Matthews. You can call if it didn't work. But that zip should be covered.
Ah !! Thanks so much momtothree. It never allowed me to pick Charlotte.. but let me try Matthews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte