Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 04:21 AM

305 posts, read 1,810,247 times

Advertisements

I did a search on this form for high-speed internet companies in Cornelius and only came up with two threads and not many folks responded.

I am disabled. I can walk with a cane but not for any length of time. I mention this because it is the reason I don't hang at the mall. The only kind of shopping I do is grocery shopping ... and that usually means I've been dragged kicking or screaming or the cat died because I didn't want to go to the store and buy cat food.

Therefore, the internet is where I shop. With the exception of groceries, the internet is where I go when I need something. I am a bargain hunter. I use internet coupons, take advantage of free shipping, and only buy when I NEED something, not want something.

I do a lot of research online. For genealogy, health, and politics.

I talk to everyone in my family (4 brothers, 2 sisters, a mom, grandkids, kids, friends) and take online classes.

I HAVE to have a fast internet.

I see that Comcast or (gulp) Time Warner is not in Cornelius yet. Does anyone have any idea when that might happen?

And who is the current, best high-speed internet provider in Cornelius? I've looked at one, MI-connection. We DO NOT want a dish. There is another provider called Windstream. One offers 12 mbps. I don't remember which right now.

But I want someone who has a reputation I know and can trust.

The internet is my sanity connection to the outside world. It has to be unwavering in it's up time and of course, speed.

I'm hoping this new post will entice others to respond. We're in no hurry. We're not moving for another 6 months. But this is the one issue that I'm really concerned about.

Oh, one more thing ... is it possible to have one company who provides high-speed internet access and another company provide digital tv access at the same time?

Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 09:06 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,955,004 times
AT&T are the better in the area in my opinion. Not sure if Windtsream makes it up to Cornelius. Either of the phone companies would be best.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:13 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,795,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebopop View Post
I did a search on this form for high-speed internet companies in Cornelius and only came up with two threads and not many folks responded.

I am disabled. I can walk with a cane but not for any length of time. I mention this because it is the reason I don't hang at the mall. The only kind of shopping I do is grocery shopping ... and that usually means I've been dragged kicking or screaming or the cat died because I didn't want to go to the store and buy cat food.

Therefore, the internet is where I shop. With the exception of groceries, the internet is where I go when I need something. I am a bargain hunter. I use internet coupons, take advantage of free shipping, and only buy when I NEED something, not want something.

I do a lot of research online. For genealogy, health, and politics.

I talk to everyone in my family (4 brothers, 2 sisters, a mom, grandkids, kids, friends) and take online classes.

I HAVE to have a fast internet.

I see that Comcast or (gulp) Time Warner is not in Cornelius yet. Does anyone have any idea when that might happen?

And who is the current, best high-speed internet provider in Cornelius? I've looked at one, MI-connection. We DO NOT want a dish. There is another provider called Windstream. One offers 12 mbps. I don't remember which right now.

But I want someone who has a reputation I know and can trust.

The internet is my sanity connection to the outside world. It has to be unwavering in it's up time and of course, speed.

I'm hoping this new post will entice others to respond. We're in no hurry. We're not moving for another 6 months. But this is the one issue that I'm really concerned about.

Oh, one more thing ... is it possible to have one company who provides high-speed internet access and another company provide digital tv access at the same time?

Thank you very much.
Have you actually called Time Warner? As far as I know they ARE in Cornelius. Cornelius is a bedroom community of Charlotte - it's hard for me to believe the internet wouldn't be there yet.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:14 AM

Time warner is not there it MI-Connection

Old 09-24-2008, 09:24 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,795,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
But there IS something there, great! I just couldn't understand how there wouldn't be

Old 09-24-2008, 03:57 PM

17 posts, read 55,785 times
MI-Connection took over Time Warner's area in Cornelius. MI-Connection is actually owned and ran by the City. There response to Cable TV issues has been quick and helpful.

We have Windstream (which took over CTC) and I would not recommend it. If it weren't for not wanting to change e-mail address' again, I would change.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:45 PM

305 posts, read 1,810,247 times
I put the address and zip code in all the major digital cable and High Speed Internet companies and got nothing. So I guess it will have to be MI Connection.

cmidden ... that's why I like using Google's gmail. I can have one single, stable email no matter where I go or what I do with Internet Providers. Try it! You'll love it!

Old 09-25-2008, 07:33 AM

I use Windstream and have no problems at all.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:47 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,241,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
I had Mi-Connection for nearly a year in Davidson. Stay away! The service was horrible. I literally could run a server for more than 3 days without a connection disruption. Very often, disruptions would occur several times per day.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:11 AM

8 posts, read 27,101 times
I would venture to say that you are not going to be able to see that big of a difference between the speeds of the ISPs. Unless you're a gamer, a standard cable internet will suffice for shopping, emailing, etc. One thing I would suggest you do, is look into Verizon Fios Verizon.com as that is, from what I understand, some of the fastest internet around. Also, I don't see why you couldn't have multiple providers for phone, cable, etc. --- unless you're moving into an Apartment complex or possibly a townhome community --- this is because a lot of times those communities have contracts with certain providers. I'd look into it some more before being set on one provider. Hope that helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte