Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 11:36 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,201,880 times

Advertisements

77 into uptown <that will be fun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 08:28 PM

9 posts, read 18,977 times
I don't really work uptown I work on south tryon / woodlawn rd. according to google it takes about 45 mins to get to work. I tried going from work to Palm Cove Tree today. it took me about 50mins with traffic. So I guess it's safe to say I would be commuting 2 hours per day round trip. is that a reasonable commute time or am I crazy to put myself into this.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:03 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,211,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awa D. View Post
I don't really work uptown I work on south tryon / woodlawn rd. according to google it takes about 45 mins to get to work. I tried going from work to Palm Cove Tree today. it took me about 50mins with traffic. So I guess it's safe to say I would be commuting 2 hours per day round trip. is that a reasonable commute time or am I crazy to put myself into this.

Well, if you do decide to do it you won't be the only crazy one out there.

I will also tell you that there are various ways that you can make that drive but in the end you're the one that's going to have to decide if it is worth it or not.

Just a thought....why not rent out that way for awhile and see if you can handle the commute.

Whatever you decide best of luck to you!

Old 10-10-2013, 08:01 AM

533 posts, read 936,167 times
Yeah that side of the lake is hard to get to from uptown during peak traffic hours. Even if you came up 274 and took 49 to woodlawn your still looking at 45 min, minimum. I am guessing most folks that live on that side work in York, Rock Hill and Clover.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:01 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,815,129 times
It all depends if it's worth the commute. What are the reasons why you are doing it? I would sit down and make a list. Something like this:

Cost of savings from living out in York vs living closer to job. Write out the numbers. If it's to be closer to an amenity like lakefront will the commute take away from that?

Cost of saving on taxes both state income and real estate. Go to both counties websites and look up their tax millage rates. Find a calculator to calculate state income taxes. Even though you live in SC, you work in NC and will still pay NC state income tax.

Cost of gas from commuting. Cost of wear and tear (there are calculators online for this) such as more frequent oil changes, fluids changing etc. Tires etc. Take in effect rising gas costs as well.

Loss of 2 hours a day. Are you coming home just to eat and crash? Will an hour give you more downtime? Would you have to wake up earlier and rush out?

Till you answer these questions, you will know if it's worth it or not.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:43 AM

9 posts, read 18,977 times
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:13 AM

841 posts, read 2,475,317 times
I live in Clover and commute to uptown Charlotte each day. I think what saves me is that lucky for me, I have 2 choices to get to work. I can take 49 to 77 - which is a total nightmare - or I can drive through Gastonia and take 85 which is a dream compared to 77. It takes me about 45 minutes in the morning and closer to an hour (or more) in the evenings. If I can turn back the clock 5 years to when I first moved down here, I would definitely try to find something closer to Charlotte. It really does make a huge difference commuting 2 hours a day. I get off at 5pm and I don't get home until after 6pm. By the time I cook, clean, help kids w/ HW, etc, it's time to go to sleep. I feel like there is not enough hours in the day. I also hate that I put so many miles on my car. I bought a new car in July 2012 and to date, I have put over 30k miles on it already! So please take that into consideration. Taxes, gas and cost of living is cheaper in SC, but at the end of the day, it doesn't really save you any money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte