Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 05:28 PM

9 posts, read 18,979 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We are considering buying a house in York, SC near Lake Wylie but we work in charlotte. Does anyone have any experience commuting that way? Also what do you know about Meritage Homes or any of their communities?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 05:50 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,208,954 times
Friend I assume you are wanting to know about how bad the traffic is and how long it takes on average to get from your home to work and back. The best way is to go to the location and make a dry run. If you must be at work at 8am I would leave the home at 7am and just see what you see. There are thousands and thousands of other cars doing the same thing you will be doing and it may be bad and then it may not be that bad. It is a major thing you must know before you buy the house...Gasoline is not expected to ever get any cheaper and will go up again and again so your commute cost have to be looked at hard. PS dont even think about I77 unless you don't mind long tie ups and back ups.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:40 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,841,246 times
It takes me 30 minutes to get from north of downtown to the Buster Boyd bridge with light traffic. In rush hour, I've seen bit stretch to an hour if there is a wreck or bad weather. Your times may vary but do be ready to sit. Especially on the way home after you cross the bridge. It gets slow by T-Bones.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:29 PM

Thank you for the replies. I do plan to drive there after work during the week just to see how long it would take. google map says its about 45 mins from the house to where i work, so we will see how long it will really take. thanks again.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:10 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,217,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awa D. View Post
Thank you for the replies. I do plan to drive there after work during the week just to see how long it would take. google map says its about 45 mins from the house to where i work, so we will see how long it will really take. thanks again.

I am very familiar with York/Lake Wylie and I can tell you that many people do this same commute. If you are looking at the location around Hwy 274 just keep in mind that there are schools in the area which mean children, and school buses to contend with (school zones). Something else is that once you get to Hwy 49 towards the Buster Boyd Bridge (on the SC side) the speed limit is 35mph. I would try both ways (coming and going) to see if this is for you.

I see in one of your older posts you were looking at Creekside in SW Charlotte (by MI) at one time. I am not sure if you are aware of it or not but MI Homes is building a subdivision right around the corner from Creekside on Gold Hill Rd in Fort Mill. It is called Hawk's Creek at Tega Cay (actual location is Fort Mill Township) and within your price range.

Join the Hawk's Creek V.I.P. List | M/I Homes of Charlotte

Good Luck!

Old 10-07-2013, 06:56 AM

533 posts, read 936,977 times
Depends on where in York. Will you be near 274 at all?

Old 10-07-2013, 10:45 AM

Yes I will be near 274. The subdivision is called palm tree cove.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
I am very familiar with York/Lake Wylie and I can tell you that many people do this same commute. If you are looking at the location around Hwy 274 just keep in mind that there are schools in the area which mean children, and school buses to contend with (school zones). Something else is that once you get to Hwy 49 towards the Buster Boyd Bridge (on the SC side) the speed limit is 35mph. I would try both ways (coming and going) to see if this is for you.

I see in one of your older posts you were looking at Creekside in SW Charlotte (by MI) at one time. I am not sure if you are aware of it or not but MI Homes is building a subdivision right around the corner from Creekside on Gold Hill Rd in Fort Mill. It is called Hawk's Creek at Tega Cay (actual location is Fort Mill Township) and within your price range.

Join the Hawk's Creek V.I.P. List | M/I Homes of Charlotte

Good Luck!
Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely check it out

Old 10-08-2013, 07:19 AM

533 posts, read 936,977 times
Your best best is to get on 274, take it south down to 161 and take 161 to 77. Then take 77 into uptown.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:42 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,217,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloante74 View Post
Your best best is to get on 274, take it south down to 161 and take 161 to 77. Then take 77 into uptown.
Taking what the OP has said (area of interest: Palm Tree Cove) and you are commuting to uptown Charlotte during peak travel times......then I would definitely try the route that Sloante74 has suggested above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte