Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2007, 11:42 AM

120 posts, read 370,534 times

Advertisements

Folks,

Here is a copy of an Itinerary that I used during my trip last week touring the Charlotte Area. With the help and assistance of lovesMountains who assisted me with trip routes while I was visiting, helped to really shape and give my itinerary and visit that extra punch. I actually wasn't planning on visiting South Charlotte, but when lovesMountains gave me the trip route down to Waxhaw via Providence Road, I am so glad I took her advice. Anway, here is a copy of my Charlotte Itineary/Trip Report. I do not cover to many details, but if you have any questions, please feel free to send me a message.

Charlotte Itinerary – Sunday, August 18 – 23, 2007

Day 1 – Saturday, August 18, 2007 - Charlotte, NC· Arrive Charlotte/Douglas Airport from Chicago· Pick-up rental car with Alamo· Check-in to the Embassy Suites – Concord· Locate nice restaurant for dinner and hangout in the town of Concord.· Program GPS with addresses of malls and sites to visit in the Charlotte area.Day 2 – Sunday, August 19, 2007 - A Freestyle Day and Overview in Concord, University City, Concord, and Huntersville Open Houses· Visit Open Houses in Huntersville, Concord, University City, Highland Creek· Check out Concord Mills· Visit Shoppes at University City · Visit Lake Norman Shops· Visit Birkdale Village· Check out and drive around Uptown Charlotte on a Sunday to avoid traffic and possible congestion.Day 3 – Monday, August 20, 2007 - Visit through South Charlotte-Scenic Route to Waxhaw· Traveled from Concord, NC down to Waxhaw, NC, via Providence Road for a scenic route down to Waxhaw, then work back toward Ballantyne. Coming from Concord, I took I-85 South to I-77 South, Exit 9B onto I-277 to go around Uptown and got off at the 3rd Street exit. In a few blocks 3rd street becomes Providence Road. In about a mile or 2 Providence takes a sharp left at the red- light with Queens Rd. It will look like you should just go straight, but take the left at that light to continue on Providence. You can now take Providence Road ALL the way down to Waxhaw. It is a beautiful drive and you will see A LOT of nice places. The road will literally dead-end in the middle of old Waxhaw at the town railroad tracks. From there you can consult a map or GPS and see the area, then find your way back to Ballantyne. (Route Provide by the awesome lovesMountains).· Parked car and toured and walked the Uptown Charlotte to really take it all in. Noticed all the great restaurants and enjoyed the people watching. Saw that the Lion King was playing at the Blumenthal. Very nice new Uptown.· Tour South Park Mall and Neighborhood (Maggianos for dinner at Mall)· Tour Ballantyne Subdivisions including Ballantyne Country Club· Tour Ballantyne Commons & Village Theater (Independent Films)· Tour White Oak Subdivision in South CharlotteDay 4 – Tuesday, August 21, 2007 – Davidson, Huntersville, Lake Norman· Tour downtown Davidson, NC neighborhoods and subdivisions· Tour Lake Norman neighborhoods and Subdivisions· Tour Monteith Park in Huntersville· Tour The Hampton in Huntersville· Lunch on Lake Norman at Midtown Sundries· Tour concord subdivisions· Drive by Lowes Motor Speedway· Visit UNCC at Charlotte Campus· Visit University Research Park Day 5 – Wednesday, August 22, 2007 – Visit Most Desirable Neighborhoods · Drive around and visited favorite subdivisions within Highland Creek and choose the best subdivision to focus on for future searches and visits. For me, one of my favorite subdivisions is a new one called, Dominion.· Visited more subdivisions in South Charlotte· Lunch at Katz New York Deli – great pastrami and corned beef and mac & cheese. Very yummy food and a nice selection of lunch specials and etc. It’s right on Providence Road. I brought back a menu with me.· Revisited Highland Creek neighborhoods in the evening to see if it was still as quiet as the daytime and you get a different flavor for a neighborhood at night. I will say this even though it was night time, I had questions, and folks while walking their dogs and out for walks stopped by my car and answered my questions.Day 6 – Thursday, August 23, 2007 – Charlotte Relocation Program Ends. Return Home to Chicago. · Return Rental Car to Alamo at airport· Return on Flight back to Chicago Canceled after eight hours sitting on the tar mat due to very bad storms in the Chicago area.

Notes/Comments· Overall Charlotte is a great place in my opinion. As far as Chicago food, well if I really find myself missing any particular food, like my Portillo Hotdogs and Polish Sausages, I know that I can have them shipped to me next day air. If the cravings get too bad, I will go on Kayak.com and book a very cheap flight to Chicago and rent a car and go pick up all of my tasty treats and bring them back home. I have a cousin who now lives in California. This is what she still does to this day. · Since my flight was canceled due to bad weather, my advice is to record some place safe a list of nearby hotels by the airport to keep handy so that you don’t have to scramble looking for a place to stay if and when your flight is canceled. Unfortunately for us, our flight was cancelled at around 11:30 p.m. in Charlotte and we had been waiting on the plane since 2:20 p.m. that day. Luckily, some nice man that I had a conversation with in a line to rebook my canceled flight for the next day, saw me scrambling and said try this place and it’s only $50.00 for the night. This guy was truly an angel and this hotel offered a shuttle that picked us up after midnight.

Last edited by RobbBrown21; 08-28-2007 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: Not sure how to add an attachment so added text version of Charlotte Itinerary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 12:58 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Wow, I'm tired just reading about all you accomplished on your visit here, LOL. Again, it was my pleasure to help you and I am so glad you enjoyed your visit as much as you did I hope on your next trip I can be of further assistence.

Wanted to mention, regarding Chicago type food - people around here seem to love and rave about this hot dog place that a former Chicagoen opened a couple of years ago - Matt's Chicago Dog. There are at least two locations, one uptown and one up in the north end. Maybe next visit you can check it out

Old 08-28-2007, 01:02 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
This is what one reviewer wrote about Matt's Chicago Dog -
"Authentic Chicago style dogs and Italian Beef - as good as Portillo's in Chicago! Fresh ingredients cooked right - highly recommended!!!"

19732 One Norman Blvd Ste 330
Cornelius, NC 28031
Phone: (704) 892-5005

425 S Tryon St
Charlotte, NC 28202
(704) 333-3650

Old 08-28-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
This is what one reviewer wrote about Matt's Chicago Dog -
"Authentic Chicago style dogs and Italian Beef - as good as Portillo's in Chicago! Fresh ingredients cooked right - highly recommended!!!"

19732 One Norman Blvd Ste 330
Cornelius, NC 28031
Phone: (704) 892-5005

425 S Tryon St
Charlotte, NC 28202
(704) 333-3650
Good as Portillios, well, I must check this place out the next time I come to town. Thanks for the information lovesMountains. It's so funny, that when you look for obstacles you will find them, and I have lived in many places, and so far I can't find any obstacles that's keeping or preventing me from moving to Charlotte, well just one, and that's the sale of my place here in Chicago. Other than that, nothing at all. Honestly, today, I have been on the lookout for a quick cheap trip back to Charlotte. I want to spend more time in Uptown and just chill and hang out. I am missing the Queen City already. Again, thanks lovesMountains for everything.

Robb.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:53 AM

204 posts, read 774,301 times
Thanx RobbBrown-I have copied down some of your itinerary as we are headed down from MN in a couple of weeks. You certainly crammed lots into a short time and your advice is great. BTW there's not much in food I'd miss from MN!!!

Old 08-29-2007, 12:03 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,430,380 times
If you will be here in September, you have to look at the calendar here: www.charlotteshout.com (broken link)

Old 11-15-2007, 09:56 PM

2 posts, read 5,130 times
Default WOW! Great Post

Thanks for that write up! My family and I are heading up to Charlotte from the Orlando, FL area next Tuesday(11/22/2007) through Sunday(11/25/2007) to scout Charlotte out for relocation spring of 2008. I work in the IT industry as a web developer and will be sending resumes out to the RTP and Charlotte areas. I am very interested in checking out the UNC campus and everything else you visited. I am so impressed with this forum and how much info is here. Thanks to LovesMountains for all the info provided. Aside from UNC I really wanted to just get a feel for the city. We live about 15 miles outside of Orlando in a nice little town. I love being near the city, but not in the city. Less Crime, Better Schools, Etc. I think we may very well follow your itin. As we are really only getting 3 full days, do you have any suggestions as to which places you visted you would leave out if you had too?

Also, as we are spending Thanksgiving in Charlotte, can someone provide a nice family style restuarant I could take my family of 5 to for around $100? I have found so many recommendations I am having a hard time narrowing it down. We are pretty open to the type of cuisine, although I prefer something American or Italian.

What did you think of the Embassy Suites?

Thanks,

QCoffe

Old 11-19-2007, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcoffe View Post
Thanks for that write up! My family and I are heading up to Charlotte from the Orlando, FL area next Tuesday(11/22/2007) through Sunday(11/25/2007) to scout Charlotte out for relocation spring of 2008. I work in the IT industry as a web developer and will be sending resumes out to the RTP and Charlotte areas. I am very interested in checking out the UNC campus and everything else you visited. I am so impressed with this forum and how much info is here. Thanks to LovesMountains for all the info provided. Aside from UNC I really wanted to just get a feel for the city. We live about 15 miles outside of Orlando in a nice little town. I love being near the city, but not in the city. Less Crime, Better Schools, Etc. I think we may very well follow your itin. As we are really only getting 3 full days, do you have any suggestions as to which places you visted you would leave out if you had too?

Also, as we are spending Thanksgiving in Charlotte, can someone provide a nice family style restuarant I could take my family of 5 to for around $100? I have found so many recommendations I am having a hard time narrowing it down. We are pretty open to the type of cuisine, although I prefer something American or Italian.

What did you think of the Embassy Suites?

Thanks,

QCoffe
The Embassy that I stayed was located in Concord, NC and it was a very ice place and was a convenient location for exploring North Charlotte. It's also right down the street from Concord Mills, which is a huge shopping mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte