Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 04:47 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Show me.

The officer responded properly based on the info he was given. If that info wasn't accurate, that is another issue entirely.
Vax, it's not a different issue. Could it be perhaps the officer was lying? Why is that never in the realm of probable motive? There's NOTHING CMPD has to corroborate his reason why he pulled him over.

Here's my position - and isn't directed at you, but I need to make it clear:
The police are people, and people are capable of good and bad actions. I don't categorize an entire group as being one or the other. So I don't categorize all police as bad nor do I categorize every young black male as bad. I don't assume cops are without flaw and should get a pass at everything nor do I assume that every black man is incapable of wrong doing. This is such a simple minded point of view frankly.

With that, there is NO evidence to support what the officer did. Looking at the evidence solely, it was wrong. This is only a story because there is no evidence. If there was a tape, 911 record, a location specified of the armed robbery - this wouldn't even be discussed here.

Last edited by Miker2069; 10-27-2013 at 05:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 04:55 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Vax, it's not a different issue. Could it be perhaps the officer was lying? Why is that never in the realm of probable motive? There's NOTHING CMPD has to corroborate his reason why.

The police are people, and people are capable of good and bad actions. I don't categorize and entire group and being one or the other. So I don't categorize all police as bad nor do I categorize every young black male as bad. This is such a simple minded point of view frankly.

With that, there is NO evidence to support what the officer did. It was wrong. This is only a story because there is no evidence. If there was a tape, 911 record, a location specified of the armed robbery - this wouldn't even be discussed here.
Exactly. And that is why I can't help but be skeptical about the validity of this stop . . . the officer's justification for his actions can't be corroborated.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:23 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Exactly. And that is why I can't help but be skeptical about the validity of this stop . . . the officer's justification for his actions can't be corroborated.
Any reasonable person thinking objectively sees this.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:03 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Vax, it's not a different issue. Could it be perhaps the officer was lying? Why is that never in the realm of probable motive? There's NOTHING CMPD has to corroborate his reason why he pulled him over.

The police are people, and people are capable of good and bad actions. I don't categorize an entire group as being one or the other. So I don't categorize all police as bad nor do I categorize every young black male as bad. I don't assume cops are without flaw athe vend should get a pass at everything nor do I assume that every black man is incapable of wrong doing. This is such a simple minded point of view frankly.

With that, there is NO evidence to support what the officer did. Looking at the evidence solely, it was wrong. This is only a story because there is no evidence. If there was a tape, 911 record, a location specified of the armed robbery - this wouldn't even be discussed here.
I've been commenting based on the officer having been told that there had been an armed robbery with a suspect in a gold GM. If the truth appears to be that he made the whole thing up; no record of dispatch sending out the car's description, etc. then I apologize.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
i've been commenting based on the officer having been told that there had been an armed robbery with a suspect in a gold gm. If the truth appears to be that he made the whole thing up; no record of dispatch sending out the car's description, etc. Then i apologize.
+1

Old 10-27-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
I've been commenting based on the officer having been told that there had been an armed robbery with a suspect in a gold GM. If the truth appears to be that he made the whole thing up; no record of dispatch sending out the car's description, etc. then I apologize.
We all would assume that the officer was telling the truth . . . it is upsetting to think an officer would make something up to justify a stop. I suppose it COULD be the truth even though a tape of the 911 call doesn't seem to exist (for whatever reason) . . . but at this juncture, it does look awfully suspect.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:37 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,866,320 times
Quote:
I wouldn't describe being wrongfully handcuffed as an inconvenience.

I know some people are accepting of giving up due process, the right to know what your being charged with, and other basic guarantees of the bill of rights - as long it doesn't happen to the them.
"Wrongfully handcuffed?" What does that mean?

He wasn't arrested. That's why he wasn't "charged" with anything. Clearly you have NO idea how police procedures work, nor what the Bill of Rights does and doesn't provide.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:33 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
We all would assume that the officer was telling the truth . . . it is upsetting to think an officer would make something up to justify a stop. I suppose it COULD be the truth even though a tape of the 911 call doesn't seem to exist (for whatever reason) . . . but at this juncture, it does look awfully suspect.
Is there a record of dispatch calling the officer about the alleged robbery? That is not clear to me.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
"Wrongfully handcuffed?" What does that mean?

He wasn't arrested. That's why he wasn't "charged" with anything. Clearly you have NO idea how police procedures work, nor what the Bill of Rights does and doesn't provide.

Gotta say...I really love this forum an the folks here (that was sincere)

Okay...

Quote:
Arrest defined - when used in its ordinary and natural sense, means the apprehension of a person or the deprivation of a person's liberty. The question whether the person is under arrest or not depends not on the legality of the arrest, but on whether the person has been deprived of personal liberty of movement
Kind of seems like he was "arrested" in the pure dictionary sense. For a minute or a week - the length of time is irrelevant. Now, in the absence of any evidence to support the officers actions, this is a "false accusation" and a "false arrest". Why is it acceptable that falsely detaining someone even for a second is "ok". This isn't a sobriety check point, this was a brandished weapon pointed at someone's head for no justifiable reason. Come on - a reasonable objectively thinking person can see this.

How ever you slice it, it was wrong. Say this incident is wrong has no bearing on ALL CharMeck officers, although some people seem to be taking it that way.

CMPD is fortunate in this case as the kid who was stopped now has a litany of legal avenues to pursue damages against CMPD and the city. As I've said earlier, he most likely won't.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Is there a record of dispatch calling the officer about the alleged robbery? That is not clear to me.
It's not clear to me, either, VMAXNC. I keep looking in media reports to see if someone has clarified that and I have asked several times on this thread if someone has found out further info about the legitimacy of the alleged 911 call . . . one would think that simply by questioning dispatchers on duty during that time period that the person who took the call would remember it, if nothing else . . . I thought all calls were logged but I may have gotten that idea from watching too many crime shows, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte