Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 02:40 PM

75 posts, read 336,151 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm considering moving to Charlotte and am trying to identify areas where.....

1) You can get .75 to 1+ acres of land. (I have 2 puppies who like to run!)
2) The developer didn't plow down EVERY single tree to build the house
3) Priced between $250k - $400k with 3-4 BR, etc...
4) Older homes are fine (10+ years), since it seems like the "newer" developments give you .18 acres, if you're lucky!
5) Reasonably close to downtown (20-30 mins?)....not way out in the country
7) Wait, is this even possible in and around Charlotte???

I spoke with a Charlotte realtor, and she said to "look north". Okay, good. But can anyone give me specific towns, neighborhoods, or even names of developments? I'm not even sure if I should be looking outside of Mechlenberg (sp?) county not? Thanks for any info!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2006, 02:49 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louiemoon0810 View Post
Hello. I'm considering moving to Charlotte and am trying to identify areas where.....

1) You can get .75 to 1+ acres of land. (I have 2 puppies who like to run!)
2) The developer didn't plow down EVERY single tree to build the house
3) Priced between $250k - $400k with 3-4 BR, etc...
4) Older homes are fine (10+ years), since it seems like the "newer" developments give you .18 acres, if you're lucky!
5) Reasonably close to downtown (20-30 mins?)....not way out in the country
7) Wait, is this even possible in and around Charlotte???

I spoke with a Charlotte realtor, and she said to "look north". Okay, good. But can anyone give me specific towns, neighborhoods, or even names of developments? I'm not even sure if I should be looking outside of Mechlenberg (sp?) county not? Thanks for any info!!!
Hi Louie I have two suggestions - The Farmwood Subdivision in Mint Hill is a "country" subdivision - mostly acre lots, some more. And in Matthews, but on the other side of Independence Blvd from the town center of Matthews, is an older subdivision that used to have horse trials for its residents to use called "Windrow". The lots in there were large also and very treed. If you are looking for it on a map it is located off of Idlewild Rd past the intersection of Idlewild and Hwy. 51. Good luck!

Old 10-17-2006, 03:48 PM

46 posts, read 188,061 times
Hi Looniemom,
My husband and I just bought a house in Fairview (Union County) just up from Mint Hill. We are in the Tallwoods II and bought 1.35 acres with a new house on it. We were told to avoid Merklenburg County if possible due to the higher taxes. My husband will be working in uptown and it is about 40 mins away, a sacrifice for the larger lot.
Good luck. Work with a good realtor.

Old 10-17-2006, 05:25 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,169,105 times
Hi Louie,
I don't think it is impossible to find what you are looking for, especially since you will consider older homes. I just did a quick search on MLS and found a bunch. Just PM me if you would like me to send you the listings.
Good luck in your move

Old 10-19-2006, 10:35 AM

Hello again. So, I've done some house searching based on everyone's suggestions and found homes in Matthews, Mint Hill, and Wellington that fit my criteria nicely.

My next question is....why are the homes there so affordable, given that you can get that much land and still be close to Charlotte??? What's the downside in those 3 areas (crime? taxes? small-minded neighbors?......???) that a potential transplant from Pennsylvania (me) would have no way of knowing about, just from searching the MLS? Or are they just affordable b/c the homes in those areas are older?

Old 10-19-2006, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Hello again. So, I've done some house searching based on everyone's suggestions and found homes in Matthews, Mint Hill, and Wellington that fit my criteria nicely.

My next question is....why are the homes there so affordable, given that you can get that much land and still be close to Charlotte??? What's the downside in those 3 areas (crime? taxes? small-minded neighbors?......???) that a potential transplant from Pennsylvania (me) would have no way of knowing about, just from searching the MLS? Or are they just affordable b/c the homes in those areas are older?
Chief among the reasons Mint Hill has not risen in value like other areas of south Charlotte and Matthews in my opinion is it's geographic location in relation to Independence Blvd. I'll try to explain... Prior to I485 recently opening, the chief way in and out of the Mint Hill area was off of Independence Blvd at several locations. Independence Blvd/Hwy 74 is THE most traveled road in the whole state. If you work in uptown or somewhere on the other side of Independence Blvd you used to have to travel one of several small 2 laned roads for several miles to even get to Independence Blvd. At commuting times traffic could back up and be very frustrating. Then once you actually got on to Independence Blvd you would have the hassle of dealing with THAT traffic. But, with 485 now being open and Hwy 51 being widened to 4 lanes right beyond Mint Hill at Matthews people have more options. Also, improvements have been made to Independence Blvd. from uptown outwards to as far as Sharon Amity road (about halfway to uptown from Matthews) and things are better these days. I don't personally feel that people have caught on to that yet and therefore the area is not "hot". Won't take long thou before many people needing to work in the University area or beyond realize how quickly they can now get there from Mint Hill. When they do, I believe Mint Hill will become a more desirable place again. It is a nice little town with its own mayor and city government. They have been harder on developers than anybody else in Mecklenburg county as far as restricting them to what they can build, so consequently many home lots are still large. Also, a smart thing they did was to restrict apartment complexes and not allow more than a handful to be built. I would say, definitely keep your eyes open for what you want out there and don't be afraid to go for it - it is a good community

Old 10-19-2006, 09:15 PM

Holy cow, LovesMountains....thank for such an informative response!!! That's helpful to know about the traffic around Mint Hill.

I found affordable, nice houses with good acreage in Matthews and Wellington (is that in Union Cty?), too. Any thoughts on those areas?

Old 10-19-2006, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Holy cow, LovesMountains....thank for such an informative response!!! That's helpful to know about the traffic around Mint Hill.

I found affordable, nice houses with good acreage in Matthews and Wellington (is that in Union Cty?), too. Any thoughts on those areas?

Refresh my memory about Wellington, what road is it off of? (having a senior moment, but I know I know that neighborhood!!!)

Glad I can help

Old 10-19-2006, 09:54 PM

348 posts, read 430,301 times
I think you mean Weddington? There is a neighborhood in Weddington (and yes, that is in Union County) that is call Wellington Woods. You might be getting the two confused. LOL!

I would take Weddington over Mint Hill any day of the week! So, if you had a choice definitely go for Weddington. Great schools (tho getting crowded), not terrible access to 485 (though you'll have to deal with some 2-lane roads to get there, which ain't fun during rush hour). Most people here will tell you that Union County is beautiful. There are other areas in Union that are a bit cheaper than weddington--Indian Trail, Stallings, Unionville, Waxhaw, etc. that are really beginning to take good root. Weddington can be overpriced, especially for new construction. But great deals on big properties can be found if you are willing to get into an older home and fix it up. I personally think the better deals (if you're looking for land) is in the older homes.

I'll be looking early next year to move from South Charlotte into Union and I am looking for a minimum of 2 acres. So, I'll be looking at older homes too. Also considering Cabarrus County (just north of Mint Hill), where land is still plentiful. There's an area called Midland that I adore. Still a bit rural, but minutes from 485. So, I feel that you kinda get the best of both worlds in a short trip!

Old 10-19-2006, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaf View Post
I think you mean Weddington? There is a neighborhood in Weddington (and yes, that is in Union County) that is call Wellington Woods. You might be getting the two confused. LOL!

I would take Weddington over Mint Hill any day of the week! So, if you had a choice definitely go for Weddington. Great schools (tho getting crowded), not terrible access to 485 (though you'll have to deal with some 2-lane roads to get there, which ain't fun during rush hour). Most people here will tell you that Union County is beautiful. There are other areas in Union that are a bit cheaper than weddington--Indian Trail, Stallings, Unionville, Waxhaw, etc. that are really beginning to take good root. Weddington can be overpriced, especially for new construction. But great deals on big properties can be found if you are willing to get into an older home and fix it up. I personally think the better deals (if you're looking for land) is in the older homes.

I'll be looking early next year to move from South Charlotte into Union and I am looking for a minimum of 2 acres. So, I'll be looking at older homes too. Also considering Cabarrus County (just north of Mint Hill), where land is still plentiful. There's an area called Midland that I adore. Still a bit rural, but minutes from 485. So, I feel that you kinda get the best of both worlds in a short trip!

Lisa, I wondered if he meant "Weddington" too, although I do know there is a Wellington subdivision somewhere out there Weddington may be too pricey for our poster here, if I am remembering his price range correctly. But also, he wanted access to uptown - which is a heck of a lot more trouble from Weddington than Mint Hill. The outlying areas of Mint Hill are really just as pretty to me as areas in Union county, especially going towards Midland. Used to pick strawberries in Midland every spring with my kids
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte