Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2007, 07:22 AM

29 posts, read 98,774 times

Advertisements

We have been looking into Stonebridge which is in Monroe, the builder is Beckwith seems to have allot of home for the $$$ (Have Four Children) I was looking at the school ratings and I will be honest I am so unsure because of the ratings - Ratings are in ( ) For elementary is western Union (75) for Middle Parwood (79) and Parkwood High (67)

What are any thoughts you have when you read the ratings? With Four children I will have someone in each one of these schools...

Any comments about the community or Schools????

Please Help, I am in dire need for some advice!! THANK YOU in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 06:51 AM

4 posts, read 11,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amywpbfl View Post
We have been looking into Stonebridge which is in Monroe, the builder is Beckwith seems to have allot of home for the $$$ (Have Four Children) I was looking at the school ratings and I will be honest I am so unsure because of the ratings - Ratings are in ( ) For elementary is western Union (75) for Middle Parwood (79) and Parkwood High (67)

What are any thoughts you have when you read the ratings? With Four children I will have someone in each one of these schools...

I have the same questions and one about the supposed new school. Anyone have any information on the school build out and ratings?

Old 03-23-2008, 09:11 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
what question regarding the new school? and best bet is greatschools.net it will give you all the test scores, and then the ReDir will give let u know if a school is a school of excellence or distinction or Title 1...great schools also gives you demographics and other info...

good luck

Old 04-06-2008, 06:31 AM

29 posts, read 98,774 times
right now there is no new school.. and building in stone bridge has came to a hault. Breckwith homes are no longer able to build atleast thats what they (Beckwith) told us! We are now finding a new area, since our home has been put on a No go. Also the school that has been put on the back burner.... It's been a roller coster with stonebridge!

Old 04-06-2008, 08:13 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
Default Check out builder financials

To all those looking at building new construction, I would suggest that not only should you research the builder's reputation about construction and service, you should also see how liquid the builder is. You don't want to be in the middle of construction and have the builder file bankruptcy. I'm sure you have heard many stories of this going on leaving the buyer with their deposit hung up. I heard in NPR the other day about a buyer who put down a deposit of $12K only for the builder to go bankrupt. They have had to turn down an offer on their own home since the builder will not return phone calls. The bank took over after they cancelled their sale and told them that they had to move within 30 days of completion. Well, they just lost their buyer and now have to re-list. They visited the half-built house and found the bank really was not doing anything to protect it...meantime, they have not received their $12K back. Horror of horrors! Stay with the reputable builders who have been reviewed and ranked by JD Powers, and again, buy an inventory home whenever possible. It's the middle ground between new construction and re-sale.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:56 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amywpbfl View Post

I don't really understand the numbers by the schools. My children went to all those schools and the only one we had any trouble with was Parkwood Middle and it is rated the highest.

DS after being in Western Union for about 4 years and in a combination class for three of those got really good scores on his achievement tests enough to be put in a gifted class. He had problems in Parkwood Middle that I considered to be connected to not being a native of the area and we put him in a private school for two years. He then went to Parkwood High and finished successfully. He has since graduated from NC State third in his class.

We love living in this area. It is a very family friendly area with a lot of really good people.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:41 AM

4 posts, read 11,862 times
Since posting, I have heard from the Mayor of Mineral Springs that the Harris Teeter Beckwith promised was imminent is definitely happening but with no timetable and will be part of a downtown buildout. The hangup is the sewer moratorium from the county which could go on for years. I also heard from Union County Schools and the new elementary school is definitely NOT part of the plans. I was told there have been two new schools in the area already and that Western Union is the school for the foreseeable future.
The Beckwith sales reps are overzealous and misinformed at best, flat out LIARS at worse. The amenities in the development are also tied to the Stonebridge golf and swim club it appears. 10k initiation fee (for golf, tennis and swim) plus 220 a month. I have not been able to get a straight answer on what the HOA fees will be and what they include.
I have heard great things from the neighbors there and from my Realtor but there are too many loose ends for me to buy here.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,484 times
Default Stonebridge

I'm a Realtor and live in Monroe just south of Stonebridge. I recently sold clients a home in that subdivision and was impressed with the value. I have 3 children in the Parkwood district schools, one in elementary, middle and high and I've been very happy with the schools. We've lived here since 1999 and recently moved but our number one priority was staying in this school district, which we did. My best advice to you is to visit the schools in person. And take your time, there is an abundance of available homes in this buyers market. You are buying at a great time. Good luck!

Old 04-09-2008, 11:43 AM

23 posts, read 90,029 times
Default Stonebridge Schools

I live in Stonebridge and am very happy with the current elementary school for our neighborhood. The school is not overcrowded, no "mobile" classrooms on the property, and very friendly. My daughter loves it. I know that we also got a lot of home for our money. We moved in in June 2007, and really have had NO problems. I do think that someone needs to keep up the spec homes, especially the grass. I know if I was driving thru and saw what I see everyday, I might not even stop to browse or get any info. We are also very anxious to find out what ore HOA dues are to be. I know that Stu, who used to be the rep, was NOT knowledgeable about anything. He hence, is no longer there. I have not had any contact with Karen, the new rep, but I have seen more results with her. Want to know anything else, just ask.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:46 AM

23 posts, read 90,029 times
Default Stonebridge

Well, since I last posted, things have changed. Karen is now gone and I have no idea who the rep is going to be. Our portion of Stonebridge was sold to another developer (?). US Land decided to keep the golfcourse homes and the swim/tennis portion. The dues are $80.00 per month, every month, in addition to your $600.00 HOA dues a year. The pool is not impressive. We will not join. We feel like Stonebridge is extorting money from us. We have lived their a year. We still can not get a straight answer from anyone. Don't get me wrong, I love my home and my lot, most of my neighbors, but really for $600.00 a year, I think at the very least we should have a playground, trash collection included, something. We are in it for the long haul, but just an FYI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte