Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2014, 06:33 PM

8 posts, read 11,918 times

Advertisements

Hi, all.

I recently posted a thread looking for info. about Union Co. and received some great info. I really appreciate.

After driving around the Waxhaw & Indian Trail areas today, we've decided those areas don't work for us. Fortunately, we fell in love w/ Matthews.

We love the area near the hospitals and Target shopping center. Tons of trees, and we just love the feel of that area and the downtown area, overall.

We are looking for a subdivision that is preferably within a couple miles or so of the Target shopping center and would prefer to not have to cross Independence.

We have (3) children ages 12, 10 & 2, so good schools are important. I think Matthews schools are good overall (right) so we shouldn't have to worry about avoiding an area? We don't need cream-of-the-crop, just nice schools w/ good ratings.

Our budget is around $225,000. At least 4 BR, 2,200 sf and .25 - .50 acres of land. We don't mind an older home, but would prefer a community pool.

Any suggestions of neighborhoods based on the info. provided, or general pointers about Matthews overall?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 08:36 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,185,932 times
There really aren't any subdivisions in the immediate area around Target. You may have to go to the other side of downtown Matthews, closer to the Siskey YMCA area.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:12 AM

469 posts, read 891,653 times
There are also some subdivisions in the downtown area - between the I-485 interchange going into downtown and from downtown fanning off S Trade St. Most are older - some older than others - but with a pretty wide price point. Hampton Green is the only one in this little stretch that I can think of that has a community pool, but if you chose another subdivision nearby, Hampton Green does allow people to join who don't live there. As Ex-LI said - when you're going away from downtown down S Trade, you'll hit a fork. Take that right fork and you head towards the Sickey Y - there are another batch of subdivisons before you hit the Y (and the bridge that goes over I-485). Again, some newer, some older. But at that same fork, if you take the left fork, you'll find even more.

So I guess to summarize my post, I would focus on the triangle from I-485 interchange and John St going to S Trade and then to Siskey Y on Weddington Rd (that right fork) all the way to McKee Rd and Pleasant Plains (that left fork).

Subdivisions that I can think of the name of in this triangle is Greylock, an older neighborhood that I don't know the name of, Matthews Estates (this is a weird subdivision that has 5 separate areas with homes in different price points and the 5 areas do not connect - the higher end off Country Place drive is very nice), Country Place, Hampton Green, Brenham, Chesney, Chaphin, then one I can't think. Ofter the right fork, you have Winterbrooke, Providence Plantation, and probably 5 or 6 newer ones that I can't think of their names. Taking left fork, Ashley Creek, Thornblade, Brightmore, Matthews Plantation, and a few more I can't think of their names as well.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:38 PM

129 posts, read 208,736 times
You picked a nice area, there is a lot going on over there. Traffic during the holidays can be a real bear, just something to consider if you want to live closer to that area. There is a new development off E. John St, right near 485. I don't know the name of it, but it's very possible there are homes in that price range and I'm sure they have a community pool. There is also a shopping area with a Healthy Home Market (not sure of the name), that seems to have some newer houses there. The .5 acre thing might throw that out of the water though. Good luck!

Old 04-08-2014, 07:58 AM

469 posts, read 891,653 times
That subdivision is Greylock - I'm not sure if they have a pool. I've been in it many times, but don't recall ever seeing a clubhouse or a pool. But I wasn't looking either.

The only Healthy Home markets I can think of is at the Galleria - apartments - and on Independence at Idlewild - not very close to Matthews and not in a great area. Maybe you are thinking of a different name - maybe HealthNutz in Sycamore Commons. The developments near there are mainly patio homes for older folks, but there might be something new going up. But this is also on the other side of Independence Blvd, but might not be so bad since the crossover Independence from here is an overpass.

Last edited by Go To Girl; 04-08-2014 at 08:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte