Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 05:07 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,723,689 times

Advertisements

Yep that's my question. Being from Florida (Miami and Jacksonville) and now living in the Phoenix area 2+ years, I'm used to a easy, laid back kind of living. Is Charlotte as laid back as the places I mentioned? It seems to me that Charlotte is a smaller version of Atlanta and therefore, isn't laid back. I could be wrong b/c I've never been to Charlotte.

I know the area doesn't have palm trees and ocean breezes all over the place, but I'm still curious as to the pace. I'm in my late 20s, like to go out every other weekend, I work hard, but I don't like to feel rushed. I get that rushed feeling when I'm visiting family in Atlanta and I'm thinking I may get that feeling to a smaller extent in Charlotte. I may get a job there in the next couple of weeks so I wanna know what I'm getting into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2006, 05:14 PM

431 posts, read 1,668,686 times
Actually it does have palm trees. Ocean breezes....nah

Old 10-24-2006, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U120 View Post
Actually it does have palm trees. Ocean breezes....nah
But is it laid back to the extent of the cities in my first post?

Old 10-24-2006, 06:23 PM

23 posts, read 59,744 times
Well I haven't been to Miami, haven't been in Phoenix since I was a kid, and when I was in Jacksonville last summer it was for a wedding so everything was rush rush rush.
Maybe the reason you feel that way in Atlanta is because you're there visiting family. I know when I visit my in-laws in ho-dunk ID you'd think that a town with 1 stop light and only 1 gas station would feel realxed, but the family have a way of making things stressful.
Life is what you make it no matter where you are.

Oh and there are palm trees just not like in FL. And you're close enough to drive to an ocean breeze, but far enough away from the hurricanes.

Old 10-24-2006, 07:06 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
Yep that's my question. Being from Florida (Miami and Jacksonville) and now living in the Phoenix area 2+ years, I'm used to a easy, laid back kind of living. Is Charlotte as laid back as the places I mentioned? It seems to me that Charlotte is a smaller version of Atlanta and therefore, isn't laid back. I could be wrong b/c I've never been to Charlotte.

I know the area doesn't have palm trees and ocean breezes all over the place, but I'm still curious as to the pace. I'm in my late 20s, like to go out every other weekend, I work hard, but I don't like to feel rushed. I get that rushed feeling when I'm visiting family in Atlanta and I'm thinking I may get that feeling to a smaller extent in Charlotte. I may get a job there in the next couple of weeks so I wanna know what I'm getting into.

Do you think Phoenix is layed back? If so Charlotte is more layed back than Phoenix.

Old 10-24-2006, 07:39 PM

35 posts, read 161,029 times
Now THAT's what I want to hear!

Old 10-24-2006, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
Do you think Phoenix is layed back? If so Charlotte is more layed back than Phoenix.
Yeah, I think Phoenix is laid back. Just a little more than Florida in my opinion. The living is easy out here and no one is in a rush. Me and friends go out to Kona Grill, we wear leather flip flops, nice jeans and a nice shirt. It's just a laid back scene all over. So you get the feeling from Charlotte that it's laid back? Well, that's good to hear. If you don't mind me asking, what leads you to say that? Do any of you feel that Charlotte is more work than play or the other way around? Or is it a mixture?

Last edited by he's so hott; 10-24-2006 at 07:55 PM..

Old 10-24-2006, 07:48 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,834,554 times
Well here in Charlotte we are in a rush to get to nowhere!

I think the living here is as fast/slow as you want to make it.

Old 10-24-2006, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
Well here in Charlotte we are in a rush to get to nowhere!

I think the living here is as fast/slow as you want to make it.
Haha, that's good! Ok, I see how one can live a fast paced or slow paced life. Alright, you know how Florida has that tropical feel to it, which leads to a more casual, care-free, go with the flow, kind of thinking among some of the citizens, especially the younger ones? Kinda like how SoCal has that laid back, go with the flow type of feel. I'm trying to gauge how prevelant that type of attitude is among the good folks of Charlotte.

Old 10-25-2006, 12:45 AM

259 posts, read 1,181,998 times
You want laid-back? Then come live out in Gaston County just west of charlotte. I'm from FL and have had to get used to small town folk taking taking to long to make their point when talking. Its common for me to spend a minute or two in small talk with anyone from the mailman to my neighbor, or even a stranger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: