Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 04:26 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,128,671 times

Advertisements

Anyone that enjoys roller coasters will be happy to know that Carowinds, may be building the worlds tallest traditional coaster for 2015. Traditional meaning, a coaster with a chain lift followed by a series of hills and turns (as opposed to the launch coasters that exceed 400ft in height). Currently, the tallest traditional coaster in the world is the Steel Dragon in Japan at 318ft. The one at Carowinds is rumored to be 325ft.

There are teaser banners being posted around the park as of yesterday that say "8th Wonder of the World". And to make things even juicier, the blueprints have leaked and can currently be found here: Carowinds2015.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 06:38 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,353,144 times
Well, this certainly explains what has happened to the old season pass/bus parking area. The longer walk to and from the entrance gate doesn't bother me much, but I did wonder what was going on. I suspected that it had something to do with the new coaster rumor.

At 325 ft, this is nearly 90 ft taller than Intimidator's initial drop. While this is certainly a taller coaster (and possibly a faster one too) I have my doubts of whether or not it will be a "better" coaster. After watching the youtubes of Steel Dragon and Intimidator side-by-side, it's hard to tell which ride is actually "better".

Steel Dragon 2000 POV World's Longest Roller Coaster Nagashima Spaland Japan - YouTube

Intimidator Front Seat on-ride POV Carowinds - YouTube

^^^Intimidator (though shorter, smaller, and slower) seems to have more air-time (that's when your butt leaves the seat). I just rode Intimidator today and my arse was out of my seat at least 5 times. I'll have to ride Intimidator and this new coaster before I can really get excited. I'll admit, when Intimidator was first announced, I thought that Carowinds got the short-end and Kings Dominion got the better ride with I305. Today, I can honestly say I was wrong. I could be wrong about this new coaster too.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:53 PM

The biggest difference between Steel Dragon, and the new Carowinds coaster is the manufacturer. And that does make a huge difference. The new Carowinds coaster will be made by the same Swiss company that made Intimidator (B&M). The seating will be more open than the boxy cars on Steel Dragon. A better coaster to compare it to would be Leviathon at Canada's Wonderland.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:17 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,353,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxer View Post
The biggest difference between Steel Dragon, and the new Carowinds coaster is the manufacturer. And that does make a huge difference. The new Carowinds coaster will be made by the same Swiss company that made Intimidator (B&M). The seating will be more open than the boxy cars on Steel Dragon. A better coaster to compare it to would be Leviathon at Canada's Wonderland.
Well, I hate to toot my own horn, but I called it last year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
As for the Cedar Fair pattern that I spoke briefly about; it's quite unambiguous. In 2008, Wonderland opened a ride called Behemoth (which is pretty much a twin of Carowinds's Intimidator). 2 years later (2010), Cedar Fair introduced Intimidator to Carowinds. In 2011, Wonderland got Windseeker. In 2012, Carowinds got Windseeker. In 2012, Wonderland got Leviathan (a 300 ft-plus 92 mph; $28 million coaster). My thoughts are that Carowinds can expect Leviathan's "twin" in 2015. The 300 ft height and the $30 million price tag certainly fits.

The fact that Carowinds will soon have a "Hyper" coaster (Intimidator) and a "Giga" coaster (the unknown $30 million monster) will be a total game changer for our park.
Carowinds receiving $50 expansion, new jobs

As for the naming of this coaster, "Carolina First in Flight" fits. I also like "The Charlotte Hornets". More could be done with the First in Flight theme though. "First in Flight" also gives us a chance to teach park visitors about NC's aviation history.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 07-07-2014 at 07:27 PM..

Old 07-07-2014, 07:20 PM

You certainly did! It will be exciting to this new coaster rise into the sky. It will be more exciting to ride it! I just hope it has a tunnel. Leviathon has one and some of the other leaked blueprints of the Carowinds one showed a tunnel.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:37 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,322,830 times
The coaster could possibly be named "Fury 325", as it was recently filed as a trademark by Carowinds owners and would make sense with the rumored 325ft. height.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:46 AM

5,162 posts, read 7,367,806 times
I knew Cedar Fair would bring big coasters to Carowinds, as their flagship park Cedar Point in Ohio is known for huge rollercoasters. I also thought Cedar Fair would follow the Canadian model from their Canada's Wonderland, where they have Behemoth followed by Leviathan. Both designed by B&M. And it appears this may indeed be the case here at Carowinds, with Intimidator followed by a Giga coaster similar to Leviathan, also by B&M. But taller. So great to see Carowinds becoming more of a major league, destination park. Now you won't have to go to Ohio, California, or some other state to ride a big league rollercoaster.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:06 AM

Land clearing has now begun at Carowinds and they are currently promoting "the eighth wonder of the world."

Old 07-16-2014, 06:56 AM

Apparently the official announcement will be Thursday, August 21. But preliminary speculation suggests record breaking height, and possibly length. Either way, it should be a major attraction on the level of Cedar Point and very exciting for Carowinds and the greater Charlotte region.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:59 PM

Just in case you have not been watching the news or following FB trends, here is an actual front seat ride on the new FURY 325 first day of testing.

FURY 325 POV March 4, 2015 :: Carowinds Exclusive Front seat view from record breaking giga coaster - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte