Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 04:04 PM

459 posts, read 698,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_92 View Post
Dumb? Do you have any idea of what public teachers do for the little pay that they receive? I support anything that can be done to give them raiser, whether it is spending a extra buck on $100 that I spend.
It is not dumb to give teachers a pay increase, it is the taxation that I find ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 05:01 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,391,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulok View Post
It is not dumb to give teachers a pay increase, it is the taxation that I find ridiculous.

That's why there would be a vote. So we can all decide whether a tax increase for teachers is stupid or not.

Where else will the pay increase come from? Property taxes is the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

And keep in mind just because, say for example, one finds panthers stadium upgrades wasteful and a way to cut money, that money can't be spent on teachers. It has to go towards the hospitality industry.

Or another hot topic of wasteful spending; CMPD taking over security at the airport. CMPD makes more than airport security did costing much more. GOP leaders balked and used that as a primary argument why he city should be stripped of the airport. Say we took out CMPD and replaced it with airport security again. Use the spare money on teachers; again, we can't, because airport money has to be used on the airport. Also that means more CMPD back on city pay roll so in theory makes the situation even worse for teacher pay raise.

Cutting county services is pretty much the only thing to cut really.

Etc etc etc.

(this wasn't directed at you, I'm just speaking in general)

Last edited by Charlotte485; 07-21-2014 at 05:21 PM..

Old 07-22-2014, 03:05 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,611,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
That's why there would be a vote. So we can all decide whether a tax increase for teachers is stupid or not...
It should be noted this proposed tax isn't limited to teacher pay. Part of it will be used for other purposes. This is why I don't like dedicated taxes. They never do what they are promised to do.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:33 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,208,988 times
Do people ever consider that teacher's actually work 10 months out of the year when comparing salaries? So a teacher making 40k for 10 months of work, actually makes the equivalent of 48k when you consider the time off?

Old 07-22-2014, 07:23 AM

1 posts, read 623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Do people ever consider that teacher's actually work 10 months out of the year when comparing salaries? So a teacher making 40k for 10 months of work, actually makes the equivalent of 48k when you consider the time off?
No, you're the first. Call the media!

Old 07-22-2014, 08:39 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,832,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
That's why there would be a vote. So we can all decide whether a tax increase for teachers is stupid or not.

Where else will the pay increase come from? Property taxes is the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

And keep in mind just because, say for example, one finds panthers stadium upgrades wasteful and a way to cut money, that money can't be spent on teachers. It has to go towards the hospitality industry.

Or another hot topic of wasteful spending; CMPD taking over security at the airport. CMPD makes more than airport security did costing much more. GOP leaders balked and used that as a primary argument why he city should be stripped of the airport. Say we took out CMPD and replaced it with airport security again. Use the spare money on teachers; again, we can't, because airport money has to be used on the airport. Also that means more CMPD back on city pay roll so in theory makes the situation even worse for teacher pay raise.

Cutting county services is pretty much the only thing to cut really.

Etc etc etc.

(this wasn't directed at you, I'm just speaking in general)

We don't have to cut services. We just need to have the waste cleaned up. It may not cover the entire amount, but it would go a long way towards inspiring public trust and it would minimize any needed tax increase. Getting the county out of the golf course business might be a good place to start. If I understand correctly, they own several of the golf courses in the area and a driving range in Pineville. There is a source of what could be a major cash infusion. Granted Meck Co doesn't actually run the courses, but they could be sold off and the cost of ownership would disappear and keep tax revenue coming in. Just sell them with the restriction that they must remain golf courses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte