Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 03:09 PM

1,242 posts, read 4,034,610 times

Advertisements

What is the reason for your move/ did you grow up in PA? do you have a house to sell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2006, 06:24 PM

414 posts, read 1,380,853 times
That is a really nice community. I almost purchased a home in there. It was between that and another area. But Congrads the neighboor hood is really quiet and I spent about a total of 6 hours in it. Good luck.

Old 10-30-2006, 06:32 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,470,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Family View Post
Congrats! We also loved the Waxhaw area and are planning on relocating there. What part of the Philly Burbs are you from? We live in West Chester.

I have family in Westchester. I'm trying to get them to move, but they love it there.

Old 10-31-2006, 09:08 AM

146 posts, read 451,533 times
West Chester is beautiful and a great place to live. We love the area, but it is extremely expensive to live on the "mainline" and we are ready for a change.
After many years at a big 4 audit firm, I left the world of constant travel and 80 hr weeks to stay home with the kids for a while. I just burned out and walked away from a very lucrative career, some think I am nuts but life is short!

Our kids are 5 and 7 so I feel like I might have missed out on a lot of good stuff while they were young, doing my best to make up for it now . My hubby is an art director in the financial industry and also does web development on the side. He is the sole breadwinner now adays and a lower cost of living would be helpful. We have a large home that is older (yes, I fell for a lot of charm!) well, with charm comes lots of upkeep! Its overwhelming... and the taxes!

Charlotte just feels right to us, we loved the city and burbs and my husband is a big mountain biker, so he can ride there almost year round which he would love. The move is really about lifestyle, we want to simplify a bit. In our twenties it was all about getting ahead and buying the biggest house and cars etc, now that we are older we are much more interested in spending more time together and having me home gives us a new approach to family life.

Ok, sorry for writing so much! Probably way more info that you wanted to know

Old 10-31-2006, 10:07 AM

2,290 posts, read 2,470,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Family View Post
West Chester is beautiful and a great place to live. We love the area, but it is extremely expensive to live on the "mainline" and we are ready for a change.
After many years at a big 4 audit firm, I left the world of constant travel and 80 hr weeks to stay home with the kids for a while. I just burned out and walked away from a very lucrative career, some think I am nuts but life is short!

Our kids are 5 and 7 so I feel like I might have missed out on a lot of good stuff while they were young, doing my best to make up for it now . My hubby is an art director in the financial industry and also does web development on the side. He is the sole breadwinner now adays and a lower cost of living would be helpful. We have a large home that is older (yes, I fell for a lot of charm!) well, with charm comes lots of upkeep! Its overwhelming... and the taxes!

Charlotte just feels right to us, we loved the city and burbs and my husband is a big mountain biker, so he can ride there almost year round which he would love. The move is really about lifestyle, we want to simplify a bit. In our twenties it was all about getting ahead and buying the biggest house and cars etc, now that we are older we are much more interested in spending more time together and having me home gives us a new approach to family life.

Ok, sorry for writing so much! Probably way more info that you wanted to know

Oh they never told me the taxes were high. I know they bought a beautiful townhome several years ago for about 225,000 it's worth a lot more now.
I do know they work themselves silly.

Old 10-31-2006, 10:31 AM

1,242 posts, read 4,034,610 times
Default Totally true!

You story is exactly what we are trying to avoid. We have only been married for two years and I was running two businesses, attending grad school and just going crazy to keep up around here with everyone else! I totally got sick from all of the stress..and could not make it out of bed for almost a year with flu like symptoms. I am finally doing better and I had to give up almost everything! Having the big house and the nice cars are just not worht it. We also want the luxury of just having one icnome and raising children when we do have them. My husband works for a big consulting firm and travels every week but he does like his job and will conitue with it.

I thjink you made a wise chocie to stay home. The kids will remember this time more then when they were babies! I loved that my nom was hoem with me and picked me up fromt eh bus stop or was just there when I got hoem from school. it makes such a difference in their lives..trust me I work int he psychology field and there are many statsistics proving that stay at home moms have a great influence on how their children feel and think about themselves.

Our taxes are so low--900! Isn't that crazy. My friends has almost the same house up here for $325,000 and her taxes are $6800! I think you will like the area of Waxhaw b.c it really reminds you of the west chester main line area excpet people are friendly! You really still feel like you are home! I think you would really like the Lennar community and you are with great schools there too! My brother owns an old estate home as well in Malvern..outside of the VF park.

I can definitely tell you what areas to avoid down there too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte