Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 01:08 AM

124 posts, read 162,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawmom75 View Post
Carvel has good soft serve. A little gem in Waxhaw called "The Creamery" has homemade ice cream (ahhmazing) as well as Italian ices. Always lots of New Yorkers in there!!
I finally stopped by The Creamery for the first time last weekend and had the dark chocolate ice cream, you are right, it was awesome! My 5 year old nephew got the "banilla" as he calls it and he loved it.

Btw, I like going to the Provisions store (almost next door to The Creamery) to get chocolate milk for my Mama and my nephews, they all love it, whenever I get to get some it's wonderful, lol. They also have some of the best homemade pimento cheese, I always get the spicy (which I don't think it's that spicy, I like hot make you sweat type of spicy), they have a mild version as well that my parents love. It's a tad pricey but it's awesome. I also love getting their olive oils and spices. They have a rib rub and a brisket rub that is fantastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 08:25 AM

8 posts, read 12,399 times
Long Island, NY Transplant to Waxhaw [in 2 wks]

Mainly Ballantyne Area:

Cupcakes: Gigi's Cupcakes VERY TASTY [Though I think their specialty ones are better then the generic choc/van, just so you know]

Brooklyn Water Bagels...Closest to a true NY bagel I can find...[NOT FLUFFY] perfect "crispy" exterior with soft interior and TASTY

Firebirds for a really good steak [MAKE SURE YOU MAKE RESERVATIONS!!!] Would not necessarily say they match Peter Luger's or Keens but still REALLY good and their sides are quite flavorful

Cast Iron Waffle's...A must try if you like GOOD waffle's [Traditional Belgian Liege Waffles]

Cantina 1511 - Best Nacho's EVER!!! Get the small portion its huge!!!

Wan Fu - EXCELLENT Chinese

Which Wich - Really fun Sandwich place with a ridiculous amount of choices to choose from

And here are some others that I really like as well Trio [yummy salads and desserts], Bad Daddy's Burger Bar [Fun atmosphere and rather tasty burgers], The Original Pancake House [yeah a chain restaurant but you GOTTA have an APPLE PANCAKE at least one a year...GO HUNGRY though], Terrace Cafe [Fried Alligator cooked perfectly, not chewy...And a really good Brick Chicken], Flying Biscuit Cafe [quite tasty breakfasts & whimsically decorated], 131 Main [pricey but good]

So far that is most of what I have tried while on our house hunting trips...Can't wait till we move in 2wks to try lot's more places!!!

Old 06-19-2014, 08:18 PM

14 posts, read 21,268 times
La unica huntersville

Old 06-23-2014, 10:44 AM

87 posts, read 205,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djshinodalp View Post
I've been to Dim Sum a coupel times - must have been just my bad experiences then, because I keep hearing great reviews from a lot of people and just can't recon to my experience.

Maybe I really should know better about what to pick/choose when I dine there.
It's not just you. I've been a couple of time myself. Good food, but not great. I've had better dim sum in Florida.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:29 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,373,324 times
Good Food on Montford.

Roosters behind the Southpark Mall.

Dandelion Market and 5 Church uptown.

The Liberty in Southend - get the Southern Crunch burger.

Can't wait to try Farenheit, but haven't made it there, yet - same goes for Lumiere.

Luce uptown at the base of the Hearst tower.

Pinky's or Diamond for great diner food.

Peculiar Rabbit in Plaza Midwood.

JJs Red Hots on East Blvd or in Ballantyne if you're in the mood for a hotdog.

Pacos Tacos.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:19 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,549,353 times
I see most of the usual suspects have been mentioned. I'll add Barringtons in southpark to that list as well. Oh, and Soul Gastrolounge.

I'll add some lesser known places, some in shady neighborhoods. Great food tho.

Island Paradise for Jamaican Food
Saigon Palace Vietnamese food
Mr. Le's sandwich shop for Bahn mi
La Unica for Mexican
Lucy's Bakery, Colombian food.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:29 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,726,984 times
Gary's BBQ up in China Grove -- 45 minutes. It is a high class place, though. Shirts are required!

Old 07-02-2014, 10:21 PM

53 posts, read 87,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Reviving this thread to recommend this place

Jake's Good Eats -
Love this place. Their oyster po boy is better than any that I've ever had in New Orleans. Sooo good! And their staff is just the sweetest bunch of southern ladies.

I noticed lots of mentions of Middle Eastern food in this thread(including my long lost Cluckers). I'll drive from Matthews to Ballantyne any day for the best Lebanese food I've ever had @ Zeitouni (in the EarthFare shopping center): Zeitouni Grill :: Authentic Mediterranean Cuisine :: Charlotte

Their shish tawooq sandwich, fattoush & babba ghanouj are phenomenal.

Other favorites:
-Beef & Bottle (red leather booths, candlelight, Dean Martin on the speakers, framed b&w photos of old Hollywood celebs & surf & turf)
-Fig Tree (great wine list, excellent local seafood on a beautiful old mission style home. The spinach salad w bacon maple dressing and goat cheese is ridiculously perfect)
-Luigi's @ 485 & Tryon (authentic NYC style pies)
-Katz NY Deli @ the Arboretum (excellent Reubens & house-made full sour or half sour pickles PLUS cheesecake shipped in from Carnegie deli in NYC)
-Waldhorn German Cuisine (elevated German. Excellent draft beer)
-Intermezzo (wood fired pizzas w fresh ingredients. Nice patio view of the skyline)
-Angela's Italian (like everyone else has said. It's authentic & delicious. Their vodka sauce is great).
-Lulu's (not big on their dinner menu. Lunch/brunch is great. The LuLu burger is the best southern style burger in the world. Jalapeño relish, fried green tomato, warm pimento cheese on challah. The pimento grits are great too).
-Ben Thanh Vietnamese on Central (best Vietnamese in town. The imperial roll/spring rolls are the best)

Last edited by littlegirltree; 07-02-2014 at 10:57 PM..

Old 07-07-2014, 03:05 PM

20 posts, read 37,092 times
View from Fahrenheit

Old 07-07-2014, 04:50 PM

830 posts, read 1,530,311 times
Favorite Mexican is Taqueria Mexico on South. Better than La Unica, IMO….

Vietnamnese is a tie between Vietnam Grille on South, and Viet-Thai Bistro near the corner of Johnston and Pineville-Matthews

Ethiopian we will Queen of Sheba on Eastway over Red Sea and Meskerem (both on Kings Drive near midtown

For Peruvian, it has to be Viva Chicken on Elizabeth ave near Presby….terrific, and better the Pio-Pio IMO

For BBQ, partial to Saucemans on West Blvd near Tyvola, but also like Midwood BBQ

Current favorite for Chinese is Great Wall South - old Chef from Dynasty out in Matthews went there and brought with him some of the spicy Szechuan dishes that are hard to find in CLT. There is a 2nd menu

Best upscale Italian we have had is Luce Uptown….great good and service, and great for a pre-show meal. Best family style Italian is Zio in Myers Park/Eastover

Favorite overall restaurant in the area? That would go to Passion8 Bistro down in Ft Mill, not far from Carowinds. Strange, out of the way location, but consistently terrific food from local, fresh ingredients. Thought they were moving to Elizabeth Ave this spring, but thus far, doesn't look like the move has happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte