Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 09:02 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,218,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
What'd you think? I've been there 4 times for breakfast and think it is pretty good. Their biscuits are fantastic.
I went Saturday about 11 AM. I ordered the breakfast bowl, which I regret. It was good but once it hit the table I realized I'd ordered the wrong thing. My fault. The grits were excellent, but I don't really like Tex-Mex and eggs for breakfast. Again, my fault for not paying better attention to the menu. My buddy had the crab scramble. It was loaded with real crab and we both liked it, as was expected for $17. His asparagus was great, and I don't really like asparagus. The biscuits were good but not outstanding. They weren't as fresh as they could have been. Even though there was an army of people working, and the management was on top of us, our server wasn't as attentive as we would have liked.

The takeway is that my buddy and I would both go back. I want to try some other things, and so does my buddy when he is more comfortable with conveying his dietary needs with the staff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 08:28 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
Just in time for dining on patios, CL listed the top 5 patios in the area

VBGB in Uptown off Hamilton Street by Nc Music Factory , has largest patio with life size chess board, corn hole and ping pong and its dog friendly.

Thomas Street Tavern off Tavern Avenue near Central Avenue, has outdoor picnic tables and ping pong.

Connolly's in Uptown off 5th Street smaller patio right in center of Uptown with BOA and Heartz towers gleaming above.

Whiskey Warehouse off 'The Plaza' noted for its roof top deck bar.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:55 AM

115 posts, read 229,036 times
Mama Lena's in Waxhaw - authentic Italian specialties if you are into the real deal - (brasciole, tripe, broccoli rabe with sausage and beans, mussels marinara, etc., etc. Yum

New Zealand Café - Matthews - great sushi and reasonable

Intermezzo - 10th street - real NY "bar pie" pizza

Portofino's (not the one in the Arboretum) - the original location. Great Italian, wonderful house-made creamy Italian basil salad dressing - nice, friendly atmosphere

SAS cupcakes - Blakeney (I have had both great cupcakes and so-so cupcakes at different times)

Java Bakery and Brewery - Waxhaw - wonderful house-made napoleons and eclairs, good lunch specials and good coffee and tea

Amelie's French Bakery - mentioned above

Old 05-07-2014, 08:31 AM

16 posts, read 26,006 times
Portofino's ... any location. They are NYC Italians. Great food.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:41 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,607,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I went Saturday about 11 AM. I ordered the breakfast bowl, which I regret. It was good but once it hit the table I realized I'd ordered the wrong thing. My fault. The grits were excellent, but I don't really like Tex-Mex and eggs for breakfast. Again, my fault for not paying better attention to the menu. My buddy had the crab scramble. It was loaded with real crab and we both liked it, as was expected for $17. His asparagus was great, and I don't really like asparagus. The biscuits were good but not outstanding. They weren't as fresh as they could have been. Even though there was an army of people working, and the management was on top of us, our server wasn't as attentive as we would have liked.

The takeway is that my buddy and I would both go back. I want to try some other things, and so does my buddy when he is more comfortable with conveying his dietary needs with the staff.
That crab scramble is fantastic, but I almost get heartburn ordering it when I think about the price.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:17 AM

985 posts, read 1,901,339 times
we liked Ru Sans lunch sushi
Jade Asian Fusion is great
and we are Portofino's fans as many others are, and either location has great food, the atmosphere of the one on Eastway Drive is better than the Arboretum

Last edited by uswith6; 05-18-2014 at 04:39 AM..

Old 05-21-2014, 10:19 AM

4 posts, read 11,216 times
Well hey there fellow NYer! It might be a drive for you, my husband and i live on Lake Norman and we go to a steakhouse in Moorseville all the time called Epic Chophouse. (I would make reservations if you decide to try it, they stay busy about every night) It is exceptional. The food, service, and atmosphere is absolutely phenomenal. (and desert to die for) If you want a great eating experience make a night of it.

Info:
Epic Chophouse
104 South Main Street
Mooresville NC, 28115
(704)230-1720

Old 05-28-2014, 03:20 AM

397 posts, read 664,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amp View Post
speaking of ice cream. I can't stand all of the places that are the marble slab, cold stone creamery type. I am looking for soft serve ice cream...not frozen yogurt(obviously not today at 24 degrees...) and ideally somewhere that serves cherry dip top. Im not sure if anyone is familiar with Mr. Softie,(or those small ice cream stands you find in small towns) they had them in upstate Ny and NYC.
Carvel has good soft serve. A little gem in Waxhaw called "The Creamery" has homemade ice cream (ahhmazing) as well as Italian ices. Always lots of New Yorkers in there!!

Old 05-30-2014, 07:55 AM

1,863 posts, read 4,297,994 times
I ate at Cinebarre last night while watching a movie. If anyone goes, please do NOT order the pizza there, it was downright horrible! The tomato sauce had absolutely no taste whatsoever. I wasn't expecting gourmet pizza, but a frozen $3 pizza from the supermarket would have been an better choice than what I was served.

A friend laughed at me and asked what did I expect from a movie theater, but I have been to other dine-in establishments in other cities with great tasting food. Pass on the pizza and the mozzarella sticks. You've been warned!

Has anyone eaten at Emeril's restaurant? The Yelp reviews are only so-so.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:44 PM

397 posts, read 664,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawmom75 View Post
Carvel has good soft serve. A little gem in Waxhaw called "The Creamery" has homemade ice cream (ahhmazing) as well as Italian ices. Always lots of New Yorkers in there!!
Oh, and DAIRY QUEEN!! Mmmmmm. They have the dipped cones :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte