Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 05:29 PM

46 posts, read 105,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Not all are. Charlotte's WTVI-HD is broadcasting on RF 11. Some people in the metro can get WSPA-HD which is on RF 7. Both of these are VHF. The two antennas I listed will pickup these stations.
Thanks, good to know. When I bought my antenna about 8 years ago all I wanted to see were on UHF
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 05:29 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,608,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danburg View Post
Thanks, good to know. When I bought my antenna about 8 years ago all I wanted to see were on UHF
The entire broadcast spectrum alotment changed when they went to digital. Most likely an antenna purchased at that time, isn't optimized for what we have today. However, if it works for you, that is all that matters.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:06 PM

5,160 posts, read 7,349,998 times
Quote:
The entire broadcast spectrum alotment changed when they went to digital. Most likely an antenna purchased at that time, isn't optimized for what we have today. However, if it works for you, that is all that matters.
In the analog era, WBTV broadcast on RF channel 3. WSOC was on RF9, and WCNC RF36. WJZY was RF46 and WCCB was RF18. When the digital conversion occurred, these channels all changed frequencies. WBTV and WSOC moved from VHF to UHF, although they kept their old analog branding for marketing purposes. Today, WBTV is actually RF23, and WSOC is RF34. WCNC is RF22, WJZY is RF47, and WCCB is RF27. All major Charlotte channels are now UHF, except for PBS duplicate WTVI which is RF11. WCCB and WCNC no longer use their analog channels 18 and 36 in their branding, although WBTV and WSOC still use 3 and 9 which are very well established.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:55 PM

714 posts, read 2,306,093 times
We have a digital antenna and have been cable/satellite-free for about 6 months. Saw the ribbon about DirecTV cutting off WBTV access and felt bad for folks still paying ~$100/month for hundreds of channels they don't watch, only to have the couple they do being held hostage.

My husband has found a way to stream content from his computer for the sports coverage he wants. Me, I could absolutely not care less about sports. I just like saving the money and avoiding all the horrible drama surrounding cable/satellite negotiations.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:43 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,608,703 times
Quote:
You can put up an antenna. In fact you will be surprised at how many stations you can receive for free and in HD with a relatively inexpensive antenna. It's something like 40 channels now.

Raycom and WBTV are doing their routine dog & pony show on carriage disputes. IMO, they will call each other names for a few days. But before the fall season starts they will kiss & makeup, and re-establish their relationship. Next Jan/Feb, your rates will go up again to compensate.

They are laughing all the way to the bank.
Fall Season & NFL starts next week. Just as I said, they kissed, made up, and now you can watch Raycom stations on DTV again. Way too much money was at state for them to play this game when it really matters.

Stay tuned for Part 2 titled, "Your Bill Goes Up Again", coming soon. (1q15)

Meanwhile if you do have an antenna, do a rescan. Charlotte has gotten several new OTA channels, Movies! (46.2), EscapeTV (64.3), getTV (64.2), Heartland (14.4) Ironically Raycom will be adding gritTV (3.3), in the next few weeks.

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 09-10-2014 at 02:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte