Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2014, 08:16 AM

76 posts, read 284,269 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know this neighborhood or live here? Some nice homes for sale online.

Also, separately, what does "uptown" mean in Charlotte? I usually refer to the city (the area where all the tall buildings are ) as "downtown".

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 09:24 AM

286 posts, read 689,700 times
Uptown is downtown.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:15 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,811,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDay9876 View Post
Does anyone know this neighborhood or live here? Some nice homes for sale online.

Also, separately, what does "uptown" mean in Charlotte? I usually refer to the city (the area where all the tall buildings are ) as "downtown".

Thanks.
Providence Crossing is considered a very nice neighborhood. It is, however, just outside of the I485 loop with Providence Rd and traffic can be heavy, just FYI.

Charlotte's downtown area is higher in elevation than the surrounding area so it is known as "uptown".

Old 09-30-2014, 01:57 PM

Ah thank you for the uptown/downtown clarification!

yes, that area by 485 and providence road looks massively busy. Are there retailers there too? Target, Starbucks, McDonalds, etc?

Old 09-30-2014, 02:16 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,324,782 times
Quote:
yes, that area by 485 and providence road looks massively busy. Are there retailers there too? Target, Starbucks, McDonalds, etc?
Yes, there is a Lowe's, Home Depot, Staples, Starbucks, BB&T, CVS, Ann Taylor, and a 7 Eleven from what I can think of from memory.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:20 PM

631 posts, read 893,212 times
Quote:
Ah thank you for the uptown/downtown clarification!

There's a large proposed development going in on the east side of Providence at the Ardrey Kell intersection (a bit north of Providence Crossing). It's mixed use with retail, apartments and medical offices. Looks good on paper.

Just north of 485 is the Promenade which has Home Depot, Staples, Stein Mart, restaurants, starbucks, etc. Head west on Ardrey Kell about 3 miles to Rea Road and you're at a huge retail center called Blakeney with the Target, starbucks, mcdonalds, and lots more. Stonecrest is just 3 miles north of that on Rea by 485 with the same model. So, if you are concerned about being near lots of shopping and conveniences, fear not.

Providence itself isn't bad down by 485, but if you were to take it Uptown during rush hour once you are north of 485 it gets very backed up.

Good luck

Old 09-30-2014, 03:14 PM

23 posts, read 57,601 times
I live there. Great neighborhood. Not cookie cutter. Only drawback is no pool or major amenities. The Waverly complex referenced above will be a huge plus.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:01 PM

Jam - are there lots of kids? Do they play outside in the afternoons? The yards look very nice - where we live now, the yards are all grass and small saplings (it's a new build development) so there are no big trees. There are a lot of swingsets and sandboxes, but no trees, and my kids are (suburban) nature lovers

Old 09-30-2014, 09:43 PM

451 posts, read 712,952 times
Probably a pretty good spot given the Worthington/Powell background. By south, south charlotte standards, south of 485, it's older which means it wasn't clear cut when built and actually has some trees. Many kids but not necessarily every house like the newer subdivisions in Waxhaw that have no trees. Pool will either be PCC, think Worthington Hills, or Weddington Swim and Raquet, think Swim & Raquet in UA.

You will be set with shopping. Everything you mentioned less than 5 minutes and Whole Foods within a year or so.

It's not massively busy but traffic will be worse than Columbus at rush hour, that will be true for all of south charlote inside and outside of 485. Outside of rush hour it really isn't that bad. This afternoon/evening, however, was hell.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:47 AM

Thank you for the comparisons to Powell and Worthington! That really helps. I was a lifeguard at Worthington Hills for many years, and we belong to Brookside now, so I know both places well. Right now it sounds like we are in one of those Waxhaw new neighborhoods - the houses are great and brand new and there are kids in literally every house, but I really miss the trees!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte