Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 08:17 PM

125 posts, read 243,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySeal77 View Post
My Top 5 Favorite Things
1. The Drivers (worse I have ever seen) except driving 95 which the locals think is all of the Northeast.
2. Poor people who hang around Charlotte begging and simply loitering in all public places.
3. The gas prices as we have the highest rates in the South.
4. The wildly inconsistent customer service and food preparation from local restaurants.
5. Churches who ask to ACH your account for weekly dues as part of enrollment into their shrine.

6. The wonderful school systems ... oh sorry that isn't the case either
7. The fact that the real mountains are over 2 hours a way and a hassle to get to.
8. The artificial made lakes (w/ nuclear power plants) that are over commercialized and full of drunks on noisy machines.
9. The transplants who only care about themselves and cheap McMansions.
10. The beach isn't close either try 3 hours of back road hassle.
11. Have fun in uptown after the workers leave...its no mans land...and dangerous.

Listen, I am very sorry for ruining it for you. I know this seems wildly negative. Beyond the pretty skyline Charlotte is still an area going through growing pains and has its fair share of unsettling issues. I wish you happiness in your decisions and hope if you do move here your experience with the city is in no way close to the way I perceive things to be. I just find that I can get a better quality of living elsewhere regardless of the pretty skyline and clean streets. On the outside Charlotte looks clean but on the inside it runs on 3 cylinders.
You sound like someone who needs a hug. Or maybe visit another city... the things you listed are very prevalent in all major cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 06:01 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakekansas123 View Post
You sound like someone who needs a hug. Or maybe visit another city... the things you listed are very prevalent in all major cities.
Driving is bad "except" on 95...lol.

I would suggest they hop on 95 and keep driving until they find happiness.

95 is damn near 2 hours away from Charlotte.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:39 AM

363 posts, read 445,176 times
Quote:
My Top 5 Favorite Things
1. The Drivers (worse I have ever seen) except driving 95 which the locals think is all of the Northeast.
2. Poor people who hang around Charlotte begging and simply loitering in all public places.
3. The gas prices as we have the highest rates in the South.
4. The wildly inconsistent customer service and food preparation from local restaurants.
5. Churches who ask to ACH your account for weekly dues as part of enrollment into their shrine.

6. The wonderful school systems ... oh sorry that isn't the case either
7. The fact that the real mountains are over 2 hours a way and a hassle to get to.
8. The artificial made lakes (w/ nuclear power plants) that are over commercialized and full of drunks on noisy machines.
9. The transplants who only care about themselves and cheap McMansions.
10. The beach isn't close either try 3 hours of back road hassle.
11. Have fun in uptown after the workers leave...its no mans land...and dangerous.

Listen, I am very sorry for ruining it for you. I know this seems wildly negative. Beyond the pretty skyline Charlotte is still an area going through growing pains and has its fair share of unsettling issues. I wish you happiness in your decisions and hope if you do move here your experience with the city is in no way close to the way I perceive things to be. I just find that I can get a better quality of living elsewhere regardless of the pretty skyline and clean streets. On the outside Charlotte looks clean but on the inside it runs on 3 cylinders.
You sound like a fun guy to hang out with. I imagine you are the life of the party.

1. I've lived all over the country.. the drivers here suck as much as everywhere else.
2. Those damn poor people, I wish they would just go away! (sarcasm)
3. True I guess.. but still cheaper than most of the country.
4. Its probably you.
5. Then go to a different church?
6. The schools are about the national average. I'd like to see that higher.
7. Just pure whining.
8. Just pure whining.
9. Just pure whining.
10. 3 hours of interstate travel.
11. Not true at all. I live uptown, completely safe and there is quite a bit going on.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:49 AM

43 posts, read 118,458 times
Not everyone is going to like Charlotte. If you are that miserable it's pretty simple...>LEAVE! Charlotte must not be too bad, people continue to move here in mass amounts and consistently ranked at the top lists for best places to live, do business, and etc.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:40 AM

102 posts, read 111,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdm51 View Post
11. Not true at all. I live uptown, completely safe and there is quite a bit going on.
Quite a bit is an understatement, I went this past Saturday night and had trouble finding a parking spot, and I got there early! Once the Blue Line extension opens up I won't be going anywhere inside the 277 belt on four wheels if I can help it. Me and my friend loitered around the CTC station a while and every train was packed full. Yes, there are some areas of uptown that can be dead at night (neighborhoods and office buildings? Surprise surprise!) but go to the epicentre, Ritz Carlton, any major restaurant, bar or club, Fahrenheit (if you go before like 10:30 you can just walk out to the balcony no questions asked, once it gets later and dinner service ends they check ID's and turn you away if you're not buying) they you will not be disappointed. Of course the guy who made these complaints probably would be complaining that it was TOO busy, some people can't be pleased.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:54 AM

444 posts, read 582,288 times
Default I Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick A View Post
Quite a bit is an understatement, I went this past Saturday night and had trouble finding a parking spot, and I got there early! Once the Blue Line extension opens up I won't be going anywhere inside the 277 belt on four wheels if I can help it. Me and my friend loitered around the CTC station a while and every train was packed full. Yes, there are some areas of uptown that can be dead at night (neighborhoods and office buildings? Surprise surprise!) but go to the epicentre, Ritz Carlton, any major restaurant, bar or club, Fahrenheit (if you go before like 10:30 you can just walk out to the balcony no questions asked, once it gets later and dinner service ends they check ID's and turn you away if you're not buying) they you will not be disappointed. Of course the guy who made these complaints probably would be complaining that it was TOO busy, some people can't be pleased.
Correct: I usually make things up that hit the NATIONAL NEWS...15 Reasons Why Charlotte Is The Weirdest

Charlotte is most certainly purgatory!

Old 10-28-2014, 12:27 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,492,423 times
Then go find your Nirvana!

Seriously! Why are you still living in Charlotte? I don't get it. You have post after post about how horrid it is to live here. Why do you live here?

Quote:
Correct: I usually make things up that hit the NATIONAL NEWS...15 Reasons Why Charlotte Is The Weirdest

Charlotte is most certainly purgatory!

Old 10-28-2014, 12:34 PM

140 posts, read 170,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick A View Post
Correct, also would like to add the Music Factory has something going on most days of the week, 5th Street bars, Tryon Rd has a few places, etc.

I live in the suburbs so I have no choice but to drive, but once the train comes through my area, I would take it every Thurs - Saturday.

Also, the sand bar at Lake Norman was named one of the top lake spots to party on in the US.
America's Best Lakes for Summer Vacation - Party Lakes in the US
I'm probably in a few of those pictures, and yes, it's usually pretty fun, if you're into the party atmosphere.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:58 PM

401 posts, read 657,195 times
1. Uptown Charlotte
2. Upper class businesses
3. Great employment opritunities
4. Border to South Carolina
5. Carolina Panthers

If you want 5 more-

6. Channel 9 news
7. Tourism attractions
8. NASCAR
9. Cheap houses
10. Large suburbs

Even though I live in Concord, i still go to Charlotte about once a week.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:04 PM

489 posts, read 911,577 times
1. My 2 favorite sports teams are here
2. Spring and the Fall
3. Proximity to mountains, beaches, many other cities
4. Cost of living
5. It's a good size for me. I'd like it a little bigger (which it will be soon enough), but it has it's urban areas without feeling overwhelmed. The urban growth happening is exciting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte