Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 12:51 PM

782 posts, read 3,789,656 times

Advertisements

Why is living wages so low in Charlotte?Suppose to the second banking hub.Suppose to be one of the cities on the rise.Some say c.o.l. is low,not really.The price you pay for food,gas,utilities,and shelter are not cheaper than let say the Midwest region.These are the basic for living.The same companies that employed people on the Midwest for a decent livable wage,pay half that in the southern region.Property taxes are cheaper yeah,thats it.Add the state income tax and personal property tax things add up.Not trying to give Charlotte a black eye.Not trying to offend anyone.People say schools suck or crime is bad why not pay more money into taxes to help make things better.How about getting the companies to pay better wages.Seems like they are making alot of profit off of labor down south when the cost are really the same except property tax.The quality of life is better some say.Maybe taken lower wages is ok for that reason.As Charlotte grows with transplants from other region the infrastructure must grow with it.I would only imagine taxes probably will need to be raise to build more schools,police station,etc,etc.I love the university area when i visit and wanted to build a house there.I met a man who told me to move outside of charlotte.Taxes might be on the rise since transplant moving their and are use to paying higher taxes giving the city opportunity to get more money ,just his opinoin.Taxes i beleave was 1.3 per 100 in university area.Can anyone else see the taxes on the rise? Can anyone see living wages on the rise?

Old 01-01-2008, 01:11 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booboy View Post
...why not pay more money into taxes to help make things better.
I sent my blank check in but forgot to sign it- so the state signed it for me...

Okay, can you at least provide a little more background on what *you do* and what region of the country or city you are comparing the wages to? For it to be low you must have some sort of frame of reference. You'll get more enlightened answers that my first sentence (which was just ribbing you btw).

Old 01-01-2008, 01:32 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,580 times
I'm not an economics expert but I do know this: Any living wage ordinance requires employers to pay wages that are above federal or state minimum wage levels.

Wages are a state issue. NC's min. wage recently increased to $6.15. The federal min. wage is $5.85.

Here is an article from 2006 - Easley calls for living wage (broken link)

Quote:
Although there is no fixed definition of living wage, liberal-leaning policy groups have fixed the number at $12.32 an hour for North Carolina residents.

Trying to create a living wage would almost surely be a tough battle in the General Assembly. It took legislators more than a decade to raise the lowest legal wage rate by $1.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
I sent my blank check in but forgot to sign it- so the state signed it for me...

Okay, can you at least provide a little more background on what *you do* and what region of the country or city you are comparing the wages to? For it to be low you must have some sort of frame of reference. You'll get more enlightened answers that my first sentence (which was just ribbing you btw).
I am a refuse collector.I work in the chiagoland area.The pay in nc is half.Even the factory job i had seven years ago paid $21.50 an hour.The company move to eden,nc because of cheap land.The pay was $17 dollars which was great.I going to ask why skilled trades have lower wages such as electrician which pay $32 to $35 here.Concrete journeymen which pays $32 an hour.Even my job being a garbageman pay $25 to $27 dollar an hour with ins/pension at no cost to us.I believe i read electrician average wages is $17.I thought i heard nc with the lack of union could be the reason why skilled trades have lower wages.Since nc is on the rise shouldn't wages and taxes be? Home builders in nc using cheaper materials,cheaper labor,cheaper land and still charging the same price as if i got a house in chicagoland.Skilled trades needs to stand up or themselves.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:35 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
I am a refuse collector.I work in the chiagoland area.The pay in nc is half.Even the factory job i had seven years ago paid $21.50 an hour.The company move to eden,nc because of cheap land.The pay was $17 dollars which was great.I going to ask why skilled trades have lower wages such as electrician which pay $32 to $35 here.Concrete journeymen which pays $32 an hour.Even my job being a garbageman pay $25 to $27 dollar an hour with ins/pension at no cost to us.I believe i read electrician average wages is $17.I thought i heard nc with the lack of union could be the reason why skilled trades have lower wages.Since nc is on the rise shouldn't wages and taxes be? Home builders in nc using cheaper materials,cheaper labor,cheaper land and still charging the same price as if i got a house in chicagoland.Skilled trades needs to stand up or themselves.

This is not a pro-labor union state - a fact most of us are grateful for.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:46 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
All of which goes to show . . . when unions get involved . . . education has nothing to do w/ pay scale.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
All of which goes to show . . . when unions get involved . . . education has nothing to do w/ pay scale.
So are you trying to say if you attend college you should get paid more than the blue collar workers.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:26 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
So are you trying to say if you attend college you should get paid more than the blue collar workers.
There are skilled laborers that I feel should be compensated on the same level, or higher, than some white collar workers. Unskilled laborers, basically, no. I do not think that having more education necessarily equates into job skills that should pay more, but often it does.

For example, I do not think that teachers should receive the lousy low pay they receive. There seems to be something really screwy w/ a system that will pay a concrete journeyman more money than a teacher.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:29 PM

578 posts, read 2,599,377 times
Quote:
Are you saying people who have gone to college for four or more years should be paid the same as a high school graduate?

Hasn't it always been the case that higher education leads to higher wages?

Old 01-01-2008, 03:39 PM

578 posts, read 2,599,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
This is not a pro-labor union state - a fact most of us are grateful for.
Just curious, why is that? I haven't lived here long enough to know, and I've never worked in an industry where unions are common. I've got opinions both pro and against unions in different industries, but why is this area of the country not pro-union?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte