Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 04:56 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booboy View Post
I started a thread about the pay down thier nobody knows.I ask management if i transfer how much would i make.They told me half and i would have to pay into my ins.I think the pay was $14 tops.They have two to three drivers to a truck,maybe causing lower wages.At the same time keeping more people employed.
So do you have the option of staying in Chicago or could you work for the company in the Charlotte area or is it restricted to Eden,NC? If you are going to be paying into your own ins benefit then your really take a greater than 50% pay cut.

Also it looks like Eden, NC is way out there on the NC/VA border. I've never been to Eden but I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's going to be radically different than Chicago, and you'll be really bored there.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:03 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
A teacher can give knowledge to those who want to learn.Then you have the types who dont want to learn.I did enough to pass .I was smart.I did little class work,no homework,but ace every test.Still pass.That why i say a teacher job is only good as the students that willing to learn.
You cannot receive what you will not accept.

"Take the rock from my hand, grasshopper."

Old 01-01-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
So do you have the option of staying in Chicago or could you work for the company in the Charlotte area or is it restricted to Eden,NC? If you are going to be paying into your own ins benefit then your really take a greater than 50% pay cut.

Also it looks like Eden, NC is way out there on the NC/VA border. I've never been to Eden but I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's going to be radically different than Chicago, and you'll be really bored there.
Eden - lovely burg but very rural

Old 01-01-2008, 05:04 PM

49 posts, read 166,579 times
Thats why your a garbage man. You did what was enough to get by as a youngster and now that your older you get just enough to live on. As for the teachers, I agree with you. They work 180 days for 5 -6 hours a days, with one or two preps, full health and pension. Its a farce,they deserve no more than what they get now. Howdo I know, I was one and got out as quickly as I could. I wanted to make more $$$ and said goodbye to teaching. Be happy being a garbage man. Steady work, decent pay, no hard thinking...what could be better. Find a good wife that has a job and you will be living high on the hog.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:19 PM

578 posts, read 2,599,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc melchiori View Post
Thats why your a garbage man. You did what was enough to get by as a youngster and now that your older you get just enough to live on. As for the teachers, I agree with you. They work 180 days for 5 -6 hours a days, with one or two preps, full health and pension. Its a farce,they deserve no more than what they get now. Howdo I know, I was one and got out as quickly as I could. I wanted to make more $$$ and said goodbye to teaching. Be happy being a garbage man. Steady work, decent pay, no hard thinking...what could be better. Find a good wife that has a job and you will be living high on the hog.

This is a joke, right?

Is anyone else seeing a trend here with the "anti-teacher" posters here?

Old 01-01-2008, 05:19 PM

782 posts, read 3,789,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post

At the time seven years ago i had two choices eden or iowa city.I pick eden because of lower cost of living and the weather.Chicago plant close down ,because overhead and payroll was too much.Different out their when i visit.Their was lots of hills and nothing to do.The only thing out there was nascar which isn't me.Thats when i was working with machinery.I dont do it anymore,i drive garbage trucks now for allied waste/bfi.If i transfer to charlotte being a garbageman it would be a 50% cut.I will stay here in illinois and deal with the winters here.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc melchiori View Post
I got a wife that is on her way to being a register nurse with a bachelor degree.Their have to be one college education person in the house hold.Her 70k a year and my unskilled 75k makes for good money.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
I got a wife that is on her way to being a register nurse with a bachelor degree.Their have to be one college education person in the house hold.Her 70k a year and my unskilled 75k makes for good money.
Yes, indeed, that is very good money! And since that is what matters to you, I would say you are well on your way to reaching your goals.

You really should stay in CHI . . . You wouldn't like it here. Besides low wages and, by your estimation, a high cost of living and substandard housing, we have a big literacy campaign going . . . and for some reason (call it intuition!!!) I just don't think you would fit in w/ all that.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:43 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
I take my hat off to all who posted on this thread that exercised the utmost restraint and civility to the OP. This is the best I could do...

Over and out...

Old 01-01-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yes, indeed, that is very good money! And since that is what matters to you, I would say you are well on your way to reaching your goals.

You really should stay in CHI . . . You wouldn't like it here. Besides low wages and, by your estimation, a high cost of living and substandard housing, we have a big literacy campaign going . . . and for some reason (call it intuition!!!) I just don't think you would fit in w/ all that.
I like it in charlotte.Far as substandard housing goes we have the same builders who is building the same housing with cheap materials here illinois.Example,using engineer plastics instead of metal piping for gas lines.I guess its good enough for code but doing whatever they can to save a buck.I was just curious about why wages are lower.The cost is about the same beside taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte