Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2008, 11:35 PM

16 posts, read 33,930 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any suggestions for things I can do while I look for a job?

I devote six hours a day to networking and applying for jobs, but now realize I need to do something during my "off" time...so that I don't lose my mind (or get depressed).

I attempted to volunteer but was told I couldn't unless I could commit to volunteering for at least six months. Weird? Very! Especially since I have a background in PR and fundraising. Most nonprofits value those skills.

I'll be checking with other nonprofits in the area, but anyone have any other suggestions?

I'm just so bored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 04:15 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,801,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faith9898 View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions for things I can do while I look for a job?

I devote six hours a day to networking and applying for jobs, but now realize I need to do something during my "off" time...so that I don't lose my mind (or get depressed).

I attempted to volunteer but was told I couldn't unless I could commit to volunteering for at least six months. Weird? Very! Especially since I have a background in PR and fundraising. Most nonprofits value those skills.

I'll be checking with other nonprofits in the area, but anyone have any other suggestions?

I'm just so bored.
Where in the world did you try to volunteer and they told you about committing for 6 months? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard and I suggest you look below!! There are a lot of places that would love to have volunteers in Charlotte that would love for you to devote any time that you have to give. I did a quick Google Search and came up with the below:

Volunteer Opportunities in Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill, NC-SC

The Carolinas Medical Center Volunteer Services Department in Charlotte, N.C., has more than 100 service areas where you can volunteer. Below is a partial listing of our volunteer opportunities:

Adult volunteer opportunities include:

Greet patients, family and visitors. Assist in transporting and discharging patients
Provide information about services and resources to patients
Provide assistance in nursing units, Emergency Department and Childlife
Help with clerical duties, running errands, and answering telephones
Serve customers, sell merchandise, check prices and price new merchandise in the Gift Shop
Deliver flowers and magazines to patients
Staff waiting rooms
Become a bilinguel Volunteer

United Way of Central Carolinas (http://www.uwcentralcarolinas.org/volunteer/index.cfm?fuseaction=vol_item&id=1 - broken link)

Volunteer Opportunities This is a retirement community, where I'm sure the elderly people would love to have someone visit, play cards with, or just hang out with them!!

Special Olympics North Carolina: Volunteer Opportunities at the Special Olympics NC. North Carolina Donations and Charity Volunteers (http://www.sonc.net/contact/staff.asp - broken link)

Should I go on? If any of those don't work, you may want to get involved with a local church that works with outreach programs in Charlotte or volunteer at the church itself, if outreach isn't your thing.

I wish you luck in your job search!!!

Old 01-05-2008, 08:12 AM

525 posts, read 1,804,743 times
get a parttime job? Waitressing, bookkeeping, temping? Employed ppl usually find work easier.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:03 AM

16 posts, read 33,930 times
Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm definitely going to look into the other nonprofit organizations. I thought the six-month requirement was just odd.

As for registering with temp agencies...I've done that...things are just slow right now. Just need something to do in the meantime.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:16 AM

135 posts, read 503,777 times
Check out Habitat for Humanity ! They have work during the week as well as the weekends ! All you need are a couple tools and a few other items. Goodluck! Im in search of a job as well!!! I am now resorting to going to the businesses and dropping off my resume.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:19 AM

382 posts, read 1,888,230 times
i would look for a part-time job that is flexible. you never know where you'll network with professional contacts.

or learn something new, like a hobby. you could always take a class at CPCC. this is a good time to broaden your experience for that next job you're looking for.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:48 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Check Craig's list for part-time jobs, temp jobs, etc. I have found 2 good helpers by advertising there.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:07 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Default Terrific thread . . .

Here is an awesome thread that was constructed on volunteer opps in our area.

Arts and Civic Volunteer Opportunities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: