Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 08:10 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,332,132 times

Advertisements

My wife and I(ages 23,22) might possibly be moving to the Charlotte area within the next 6 months or so. I'm needing some help with some areas/suburbs to look into. We will be renting a home at 1st, and our price limit is around $1300 monthly for rent. We have no children, however do plan on having one within the next couple years. We enjoy going out to eat, outdoor activities and relaxing.

Definitely needs to be a nice area, family friendly would be good as well. Any help appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 09:32 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,823,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
My wife and I(ages 23,22) might possibly be moving to the Charlotte area within the next 6 months or so. I'm needing some help with some areas/suburbs to look into. We will be renting a home at 1st, and our price limit is around $1300 monthly for rent. We have no children, however do plan on having one within the next couple years. We enjoy going out to eat, outdoor activities and relaxing.

Definitely needs to be a nice area, family friendly would be good as well. Any help appreciated!
Greg, do you know what area of the city your job(s) will be located in?

Old 12-28-2014, 06:41 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,983,588 times
Without children now, you don't need to consider school quality - just locate something convenient for your jobs.

$1300 is not quite enough to rent a "house" in most of south Charlotte - you'll be looking at apartments or townhomes. Houses are more feasible in the other regions of the city.

If you can settle for an apartment anyway you should be able to find one that is decent for $1000 and save money towards a purchase later.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
Without children now, you don't need to consider school quality - just locate something convenient for your jobs.

$1300 is not quite enough to rent a "house" in most of south Charlotte - you'll be looking at apartments or townhomes. Houses are more feasible in the other regions of the city.

If you can settle for an apartment anyway you should be able to find one that is decent for $1000 and save money towards a purchase later.

I have already been looking at home rentals and there are many nice homes from $1000-$1500. I'm just not familiar with Charlotte so I don't know if these homes are in decent areas or not.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Greg, do you know what area of the city your job(s) will be located in?
I do not. I work from home. My wife is a mortician so I assume the majority of funeral homes are in the busy part of the city? We prefer not to live in Downtown, we like suburb living and being anywhere from 15-30mins.from downtown. Any help?

Old 12-28-2014, 09:13 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,739,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
I do not. I work from home. My wife is a mortician so I assume the majority of funeral homes are in the busy part of the city? We prefer not to live in Downtown, we like suburb living and being anywhere from 15-30mins.from downtown. Any help?
Check Gastonia. Just avoid the NW quadrant.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:00 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,983,588 times
Southbound_295 has a good point. Unless you *need* easy access to uptown Charlotte, there are many areas you can consider that are reasonably priced. Maybe there is enough "city" for you in Gastonia or Concord or Rock Hill SC ... and an occasional jaunt into Charlotte is enough.

Most people pop onto this forum immediately asking "Where are the good schools - where are the nice clubs and restaurants - and safe - and a short commute" which usually coalesces around the neighborhoods near uptown, or in south Charlotte. And since those areas are highly sought out, they are more expensive.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
Southbound_295 has a good point. Unless you *need* easy access to uptown Charlotte, there are many areas you can consider that are reasonably priced. Maybe there is enough "city" for you in Gastonia or Concord or Rock Hill SC ... and an occasional jaunt into Charlotte is enough.

Most people pop onto this forum immediately asking "Where are the good schools - where are the nice clubs and restaurants - and safe - and a short commute" which usually coalesces around the neighborhoods near uptown, or in south Charlotte. And since those areas are highly sought out, they are more expensive.
Thanks a lot! We are fine with smaller towns/cities. As long as there are a few restaurants and somewhere to get groceries we'll be just fine. If we want to go to the city city we'll gladly drive!

Old 12-28-2014, 11:59 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,363,387 times
Probably wouldn't hurt to post some of the street names of the houses you've found and there is likely someone here that is familiar with the area and can tell you if they'd recommend living there or not.

As a blanket statement, Huntersville and Matthews/Mint Hill are some commonly recommended suburbs that are family friendly areas but typically more reasonably priced. But with no real need to be terribly close to the city, places like Mooresville and Concord could work as well.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:13 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,823,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Probably wouldn't hurt to post some of the street names of the houses you've found and there is likely someone here that is familiar with the area and can tell you if they'd recommend living there or not.

As a blanket statement, Huntersville and Matthews/Mint Hill are some commonly recommended suburbs that are family friendly areas but typically more reasonably priced. But with no real need to be terribly close to the city, places like Mooresville and Concord could work as well.
Agreed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte