Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2014, 08:38 PM

1 posts, read 6,247 times

Advertisements

I have the basic jist of how the property tax in NC works but i am wondering does this need to be paid yearly? Also does it apply to toys such as a boat, ATV, and RV. Can anyone tell me how they calculate the tax? I believe, (as i understand it, that it is based on the value of your vehicle. Is this correct? any idea what it would be on a 2006 ford car worth approximately 6500? ALso if i does apply to "toys" is that also based on the value?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 09:02 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,611,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysone82 View Post
I have the basic jist of how the property tax in NC works but i am wondering does this need to be paid yearly? Also does it apply to toys such as a boat, ATV, and RV. Can anyone tell me how they calculate the tax? I believe, (as i understand it, that it is based on the value of your vehicle. Is this correct? any idea what it would be on a 2006 ford car worth approximately 6500? ALso if i does apply to "toys" is that also based on the value?
RVs, boats, ATVs, and any trailer that has a license tag is subject to personal property tax. It's paid yearly. It's the same rate as that charged to residential property. It's based on current value. If you are talking about Charlotte/Mecklenburg, it a mystery how the tax assessors office comes up with these values. For anything new, they normally use the purchase price.

In addition, when you bring that 2006 Ford into the state and register it, you will be required to pay a 3% highway use tax to NC. You pay this once and it's based, I believe, simply on what you paid for it with a $1500 cap on the tax. (though for an old Ford you won't hit the cap) You should check with the NCDOT for specifics.

Old 12-24-2014, 06:22 AM

282 posts, read 382,161 times
Thanks for the info. But I couldn't find any limit on the 3% title highway use tax for regular cars.
NCDOT: Highway Use & Property Taxes

Just for comparison, MD charges their full state sales tax of 6%. So 3% is only half as bad as Maryland. But MD doesn't charge property tax every year on cars.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
RVs, boats, ATVs, and any trailer that has a license tag is subject to personal property tax. It's paid yearly. It's the same rate as that charged to residential property. It's based on current value.
Can anyone give us a specific example including the county and any town/city rate for their example?
I have been looking at the various govt web sites and it is hard to tell if it is 0.5% or 1.2% on motor vehicles (and it varies by county and city/town). I don't know if this is right, but looking at Iredell county, Moorseville city; and a vehicle value of $10,000:

0.485% Iredell County
0.580% Moorseville city
0.185% MV School
-------
1.250% x $10,000 = $125 yearly personal property/motor vehicle tax
Plus any registration fees

Old 12-30-2014, 04:03 PM

2 posts, read 7,186 times
We just registered our vehicles in NC last week. There is a $150 highway use tax per vehicle, registration fee, title fee and you pay your property tax up front at time of registration. The property tax in union county was approximately $100 per $10,000, my truck valued at $20,000 paid $220. Car worth $12000 paid $120. Our travel trailer only paid the property tax, not highway use tax. Hope that helps. Only good thing they let you pay by credit card. Our total was over $900 for all three.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:16 AM

Thanks Lcirelli77.
IMO, the motor vehicle property tax is fairly small, roughly 1% per year.
People moving to the area should be aware that being in a specific city/town/district can double this and the home property taxes from 0.5% to 1.25% or so. But if you want a certain school district, that might be more important to some people then the property taxes.

I have no kids, and several cars, RV, etc. and saving $2,000 per year on my motor vehicles and home is worth living 1 mile out of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte