Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2016, 11:14 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,069,694 times

Advertisements

Depending on your budget and preference for square footage, I would encourage you to look at Cotswold, Southpark, Beverly Woods, Olde Providence and the other many other neighborhoods surrounding the Southpark Mall area. If you found a winner in any of those neighborhoods, you could cut your commute in half and enjoy all of the amenities that Pineville/Matthews/Mint Hill offer. Schools are great. Neighborhoods are safe. Lots of shopping/eating/entertainment that is family friendly.

Good luck and let us know where you settle or investigate further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 07:03 PM

3 posts, read 11,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
Depending on your budget and preference for square footage, I would encourage you to look at Cotswold, Southpark, Beverly Woods, Olde Providence and the other many other neighborhoods surrounding the Southpark Mall area. If you found a winner in any of those neighborhoods, you could cut your commute in half and enjoy all of the amenities that Pineville/Matthews/Mint Hill offer. Schools are great. Neighborhoods are safe. Lots of shopping/eating/entertainment that is family friendly.

Good luck and let us know where you settle or investigate further.
Those areas, while nice, the houses are out of my price range.
I need to talk to finalize this, but my budget is 200-265k. I'd prefer to not have backyard neighbors and have 1/3 acre or so for my dog/son. Schools will be important in a few years, as are activities for my wife/son during the day but I don't think that will be hard to find.

Realistically a 20-25 min commute is reasonable to me but I think anyone is ok with it being shorter. I head out in a few weeks so I can start scouting. I'd love to talk to some locals, will probably have to strike up conversations at a bar or something.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:00 PM

193 posts, read 495,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky2006 View Post
We are likely moving in 2017 from Racine, WI for my husband's job near the airport where his entire company is relocating. We are traveling there in a few weeks to look around some more.... Right now I like Cornelius/Davidson area for the schools and home prices, but wonder about the commute to the airport region? Also looking at Matthews area. We have two girls, will be third grade and kindergarten by the time we move.
Commute time to the airport can be tricky depending on the time of day. My husband does the commute twice a week, and usually budgets an hour during rush hour. Cornelius may offer more options for busy traffic days. We are anticipating some crazy traffic on I77 over the next few years. What will the travel time of day be for your husband? I'm sorry, I can't give you more info on Matthews, but would be glad to answer more questions on the Cornelius and Davidson.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:13 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by distant View Post
Those areas, while nice, the houses are out of my price range.
I need to talk to finalize this, but my budget is 200-265k. I'd prefer to not have backyard neighbors and have 1/3 acre or so for my dog/son. Schools will be important in a few years, as are activities for my wife/son during the day but I don't think that will be hard to find.

Realistically a 20-25 min commute is reasonable to me but I think anyone is ok with it being shorter. I head out in a few weeks so I can start scouting. I'd love to talk to some locals, will probably have to strike up conversations at a bar or something.
Mint Hill would be more than 25 minutes to South Park, possibly up to 45 or so during rush hour.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:53 AM

170 posts, read 275,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlaagnini View Post
Commute time to the airport can be tricky depending on the time of day. My husband does the commute twice a week, and usually budgets an hour during rush hour. Cornelius may offer more options for busy traffic days. We are anticipating some crazy traffic on I77 over the next few years. What will the travel time of day be for your husband? I'm sorry, I can't give you more info on Matthews, but would be glad to answer more questions on the Cornelius and Davidson.
I commute to the airport from Cornelius at least once per week and it's never taken me more than 30 minutes. Take 77 down to 485 and do the outer loop. It's about 1 mile longer but there's never traffic jams and the speed limit is 70 instead of 50-55.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:49 AM

193 posts, read 495,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefullyMoving View Post
I commute to the airport from Cornelius at least once per week and it's never taken me more than 30 minutes. Take 77 down to 485 and do the outer loop. It's about 1 mile longer but there's never traffic jams and the speed limit is 70 instead of 50-55.
Thanks for the info: he comes south from Mooresville, so that is most of our commute; but have recently began taking 485 and it does save time.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:25 AM

11 posts, read 15,921 times
bucky2006, Davidson was rated safest town in all of NC, great place to raise a family! The commute from Cornelius to Airport will be busy during rush hour traffic time. But the case is the same for Matthews area too, probably even worse! (think 45-50 minutes)

If you are looking for a quicker commute to airport region (20-35 min), you could look at Denver and Huntersville

Old 03-23-2016, 05:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,183 times
OMG...your comment made laugh. My 12 year old daughter is CONVINCED we are ruining her life with our impending move to Charlotte area this summer too!

Kim

Old 03-23-2016, 10:17 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerKim View Post
OMG...your comment made laugh. My 12 year old daughter is CONVINCED we are ruining her life with our impending move to Charlotte area this summer too!

Kim
Treat her to a full day at Carowinds and she will warm up to moving. Have her go online and see the various attractions and maybe bring a friend for her to share the moment.
Also take her to Discovery Place.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:56 AM

4 posts, read 11,107 times
iam looking to move to charlotte in the summer with my two kids.. looking for a 3 bedroom townhouse or apt to start off with. not looking to spend more than 850 on rent. I was wondering what are the safer areas to move to with kids.. and ive been looking for a job down there, but since I don't have a nc address, im being looked over.is there any complex that would rent to me with a few months rent paid upfront.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte