Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2016, 07:49 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,383,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlSpackler View Post
Don't fall for the BS the realtor bloodsuckers spout. (NAR runs the largest Ponzi scheme in the nation). N side is congested w/ NY NJ types and bloodsucking realtors that want nothing but to capitalize on the transplants from armpit cities in NY, NJ, and OH in particular.
Come on down.., get in line for your 2 hr. Commute to CLT. Tell us all how great NYC is and how dopey southerners are. We don't need any more of this around here. Amazes me how people think they can click their way into a good real life decision.
Yeah, kind of like this guy did, apparently:

The Point vs. Harbour at the Point Mooresville / other Q's.

Oh, wait...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 01:20 PM

36 posts, read 69,045 times
We (hubby and myself and our three sons) are moving from Colorado (Parker) to the Lake Norman area this summer. Can't wait to get away from the snow!

Old 01-14-2016, 10:38 AM

2 posts, read 3,997 times
Default Considering a move to Charlotte

Hi everyone. My name is Rich - I'm currently in northern NJ and think moving to Charlotte, NC would give me a better lifestyle and save me money. In reading various posts and blogs, I'm not sure that's true. A couple of things are important to me. I would need to get to uptown Charlotte for work everyday at 8am. I don't want to sit in traffic, so I need some advice on where to start researching. I'm also looking for some privacy. My budget is moderate (about $250,000). I'm getting so many conflicting opinions that I really need help. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:44 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,383,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richnj50 View Post
Hi everyone. My name is Rich - I'm currently in northern NJ and think moving to Charlotte, NC would give me a better lifestyle and save me money. In reading various posts and blogs, I'm not sure that's true. A couple of things are important to me. I would need to get to uptown Charlotte for work everyday at 8am. I don't want to sit in traffic, so I need some advice on where to start researching. I'm also looking for some privacy. My budget is moderate (about $250,000). I'm getting so many conflicting opinions that I really need help. Thanks in advance.
You might want to do a search and read some of the many similar threads that exit. After that, starting a new thread with some specific questions will probably get more answers than this thread will provide.

The best way to commute into Uptown is via light rail. Right now, there is only one line extending south, but an extension to the north is under construction and will open in late 2107, I believe. Thee are numerous park and ride lots along the line that are free.

When you say you are looking for some privacy, what does that mean?

Old 01-14-2016, 08:24 PM

193 posts, read 496,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlaura View Post
We (hubby and myself and our three sons) are moving from Colorado (Parker) to the Lake Norman area this summer. Can't wait to get away from the snow!
How exciting, although I am sure you will miss the beauty of Colorado! The Lake Norman Area is a great place to raise a family. Do you know where they boys will be in school yet, have you decided on specific city around the lake? With 522 miles of shoreline, there is much to explore. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:16 AM

8 posts, read 8,571 times
I just did the move from NJ in July 15 and I extremely glad that I did.
(1) A few things to consider if you have kids in school South Charlotte seems to have better school
(2) $250 K might be tight as the housing market here is very active.

My commute from south charlotte to uptown using E Independce boulevard or Sardis road to uptown take no more that 30-45min in rush hour, good thing is you are always moving unless there is an accident.

There is also an express bus service if you want, car par uptown range from $5- $12 for the day

Hope this help.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:04 AM

3 posts, read 5,279 times
Hi I just moved here in October I love it here except the schools in Charlotte can be horrible!! I mean the worst I have lived that nightmare and CMS school district doesn't care, what I went through with them I don't ever wish on anyone, charter schools all have waiting list, to get into a magnet school you must do the lottery good luck on that, the will not grant reassignment a pretty much they don't care I had to home school which is so sad becuase my daughter loves school but was terrified going to school as she is more of an intervert and loves learning. I'm stuck in my lease thank god I rental if you are going to stay in Charlotte go to Pineville area, the have good schools South Park etc, union county has good schools, Monroe, Mathews as well, I am buying in so Carolina York county has great schools, clover fort mill is great but can be high, whatever you do please please make sure to stay away from steel creek area horrible schools. Gangs, violence drugs, I suggest South Carolina it's just a different crowd there

Old 01-18-2016, 07:13 PM

51 posts, read 81,550 times
Where do you live? I'm looking for a best school subdivision. Tis

Old 01-22-2016, 03:26 PM

7 posts, read 10,097 times
Default From Southern Ca to Charlotte

We are planning to move this summer with our 9 years old son. We are open to any suggestions about areas with good public schools around.

Any suggestions?

Old 01-24-2016, 01:58 PM

18 posts, read 35,388 times
Default Privacy/Home Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by richnj50 View Post
Rich,

If you don't like traffic, move out west. I highly recommend Denver and Boulder.

We have been here two months, and if you want privacy(I assume that means condos & townhomes are out) but want to spend less than $250, you can do it, just don't look for new builds. If you are willing to buy a home that's not brand new or a fixer upper you can have the land and privacy that you want. There are even some cool spots that in forests in the city.

I hope to get a job at UNCC, so we will be looking in NE Mecklenburg County, Concord and Harrisburg. We went out looking last weekend and saw some things we liked. We'll see what's out there when we start our hunt this summer.

Check out this house--If we were ready to buy, it would be in my top 5: 8123 Winterwood Place, Charlotte, NC For Sale | Trulia.com

What you can't see from these photos is that it's in a cul de sac with only 3 or 4 other houses, which is RARE down here.

The best way to make a decision is (if you're a believer--pray) then to come here and spend a week and make sure you get out in rush hour traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte