Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: who's switching to the big G?
Yes! I am dying for another option for Internet service. 42 66.67%
Probably, but it depends on the cost and time line for service to arrive. 19 30.16%
Maybe, but I'm not buying into all this hype. 1 1.59%
Nope. I'm happy with my current Internet service provider. 1 1.59%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 12:36 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,642,973 times

Advertisements

I pay $61 for TWC internet with Wi-Fi. I will probably still switch to Google fiber because they made it sound like you have to order within a window or you are out of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 11:37 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,757,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I pay $61 for TWC internet with Wi-Fi. I will probably still switch to Google fiber because they made it sound like you have to order within a window or you are out of luck.
At least in the other cities, that's kind of true, but you only have to do the $300 connection fee for the 5/1 service for them to run the fiber to your house during the initial Constuction. Then you can call and up to the full deal any time. So, again assuming no changes, you'll have 5/1 Internet for $300 for "at least" 7 years. They will also allow you to do the $300 in 12 monthly payments.

Seems like a no brainier to me even if you were thinking of staying with your current provider as it gets the fiber to your house which could help with resale as well and you'll have an extremely low cost backup connection just in case and can switch to Google at any time either for real or you'll have the threat for price negotiation with your provider.

Old 10-02-2015, 06:55 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,642,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
At least in the other cities, that's kind of true, but you only have to do the $300 connection fee for the 5/1 service for them to run the fiber to your house during the initial Constuction. Then you can call and up to the full deal any time. So, again assuming no changes, you'll have 5/1 Internet for $300 for "at least" 7 years. They will also allow you to do the $300 in 12 monthly payments.

Seems like a no brainier to me even if you were thinking of staying with your current provider as it gets the fiber to your house which could help with resale as well and you'll have an extremely low cost backup connection just in case and can switch to Google at any time either for real or you'll have the threat for price negotiation with your provider.
yep, this is exactly why I'm doing it. I don't plan on selling anytime soon but even if we rented it out I think having fiber would be a plus.

TWC was supposed to increase speed in my area on Sept. 16th. Now they say it won't be until November 5th.

I told TWC that Google fiber will probably be here by the time they upgrade in my area.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:00 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,608,703 times
Charlotte is mentioned in this related article.

Want cheaper AT&T gigabit service? Move to a Google Fiber city

Old 10-02-2015, 07:40 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,544,684 times
The key is "when". I know they're laying the infrastructure throughout the US. The only good immediate outcome so far is that TWC miraculously found extra bandwidth to give everyone for free (i.e. my service went from 30 MB download to 200 MB download with equipment change). Obviously when fiber is a reality it'll make these speeds seem like dial up.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:03 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,945,346 times
Like other posters I want to see what pricing is like and if the service lives up to its promised speeds.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:13 AM

777 posts, read 2,567,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
TWC has greatly improved lately. $50 for 120 Mbps download speeds, no outages since like February. All connected devices working flawlessly. If Google can't beat that price then I'll stay put.
Google fiber is 1000mps speed. 10x faster for $20 more. They aren't competing with TWC's "fast" service, which is much much slower.

And are you REALLY getting 120mbs speeds? Go to an independant speed test, not the TWC one.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:45 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,494,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InSouthPark View Post
Google fiber is 1000mps speed. 10x faster for $20 more. They aren't competing with TWC's "fast" service, which is much much slower.

And are you REALLY getting 120mbs speeds? Go to an independant speed test, not the TWC one.
Yes I am from Speedtest.net, never used the TWC one before. Don't really see the need for 1000Mbps if it costs more than what I pay now. As a residential user, 120Mbps down is more than adequate for my uses. Everything downloads and uploads very quickly on all of my devices. TV shows download in a couple minutes, movies in like 5 minutes. That's with a couple laptops, Apple TV, video game systems, phones, and tablets all using the connection. If Time Warner were still giving the paltry 15 Mbps then I'd agree, but after their latest upgrades (probably in anticipation of Google's arrival), I'm pretty satisfied.

If Google is more than $50/mo, I'll just stay put. $20 more is $240/yr more to save a minutes or so on downloads. Not worth it IMO. I don't think TWC would've upped their speeds if not for Google though so I thank them for that already. Gotta love competition.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
The key is "when". I know they're laying the infrastructure throughout the US. The only good immediate outcome so far is that TWC miraculously found extra bandwidth to give everyone for free (i.e. my service went from 30 MB download to 200 MB download with equipment change). Obviously when fiber is a reality it'll make these speeds seem like dial up.
It wasn't a miracle. They used the frequency space freed up when they eliminated all their analog channels earlier this year. This has been in works across their entire system for the last couple of years.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InSouthPark View Post

This is only your connection speed to the ISP. It absolutely doesn't mean that you will get a faster download say from Netflix. In most cases, effectively, it will be absolutely the same between a connection that is 1000M vs 200M.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte