Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 08:32 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
It's not the legally-owned and legally-carried firearm that concerns me; it's the firearm carried by the fine upstanding citizens who do not want to work and would rather use a gun as a tool to take the property that does not belong to them. Sometimes, these gangster wanna-bees also take an innocent life, or just for the heck of it randomly shoot up a neighborhood striking innocent children. Some people chose NOT to be a victim and take responsibility for their personal safety and not because they are "gun nuts" or "obsessed" or "worship" firearms.
I sat on the fence on the gun issue for a very long time. I clearly saw both sides. My mother's family owned guns & my father's family did not. Then I heard about some place that wanted to mandate that everyone had a gun. That's when I realized that there are gun nuts who are to be feared just as much as the criminals. There's a fine line.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:19 AM

140 posts, read 170,001 times
I will always prefer defending myself, any day, over being vulnerable to someone, having them get away, and then waiting (with potential injuries) for the ambulance to arrive. Not obsessed with nor do I worship guns. I don't own one yet but I am looking up classes to take this spring.

I would prefer open carry versus gun laws a la Chicago.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:25 AM

363 posts, read 445,136 times
As a Republican, people like you are the reason that people think we are insane.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:23 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I sat on the fence on the gun issue for a very long time. I clearly saw both sides. My mother's family owned guns & my father's family did not. Then I heard about some place that wanted to mandate that everyone had a gun. That's when I realized that there are gun nuts who are to be feared just as much as the criminals. There's a fine line.
I am from gun-loving southeastern NC, we had plenty of them...shotguns, assault rifles, handgun, crossbows...you name it. Relatives shot relatives (domestic arguments, etc), hunting accidental death shootings, accidental deaths from improper handling and usage. Not once have I known anybody defend themselves from the big bad folks. Not to say it doesn't happen, but the chances of you accidentally killing someone you know or from mishandling the weapon is x1000 percentages much higher than ever needing it for defense.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:58 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdm51 View Post
As a Republican, people like you are the reason that people think we are insane.
this is 100% true

Old 02-11-2015, 10:59 AM

142 posts, read 255,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaquancs View Post
and as far as these "Gun Welcome signs" go that's is a waste of money. People already know that Charlotte is Open Carry. Also i have no problem with guns but i do have to say that America's obsession with them is a but unsettling.
As a soon to be transplant to Charlotte, I had no idea it was Open Carry. Didn't notice anyone carrying when I visited the few times.

Is it really that prevalent?

When I lived in AZ, I believe it was Open Carry and one rarely saw people carrying (doesn't mean they didn't have a CCW though)

Old 02-11-2015, 11:09 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I am from gun-loving southeastern NC, we had plenty of them...shotguns, assault rifles, handgun, crossbows...you name it. Relatives shot relatives (domestic arguments, etc), hunting accidental death shootings, accidental deaths from improper handling and usage. Not once have I known anybody defend themselves from the big bad folks. Not to say it doesn't happen, but the chances of you accidentally killing someone you know or from mishandling the weapon is x1000 percentages much higher than ever needing it for defense.
I agree.

The 2nd amendment was written at a time when males belonged to local militias. They needed guns for that. People also needed guns to shoot marauding wildlife & to shoot animals for food. During the Depression my mother's family didn't starve because my grandfather hunted for food. I don't have a problem with sane people having guns for utilitarian purposes. I have a real problem when gun nuts think that they have a right to force people to own guns.

Does it surprise me that some little town in PA posted that sign? No. I'd be surprised if there were not several towns in Pennsylvania with those signs but then what do you want with Fox.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:07 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,585,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I'm sure you're so proud of the incident yesterday at UNC. Let's waste money to put up big signs so those families can see them and remind everyone how easily events like that can occur again since everyone is packing heat. If you're the one "up to speed" there's something clearly wrong with society.
so lets see, crazy guy full of hate kills three people with a gun, and the gun is the issue. Nevermind the fact that the same thing happens in other countries with knives hammers, and all sorts of weapons because guns are illegal, or highly regulated. you don't have to own a gun that's fine, but don't tramp on my rights to own them.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:12 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,585,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I grew up in southwestern PA. Almost everyone I know owned guns, and hunted. I still know these people to this day. I know of nobody that has been killed by accidental hunting death,(it does happen not saying that, but is extremely rare.) I know of no relatives shooting each other over arguments. I know of nobody that was shot over improper handling. I'm calling BS on your statement.

Guns are to be respected. That's how I was raised that's how I raise my son. I'm scared of guns that aren't my own, not because of the gun, but because of moron's that don't know how to respect them. If those said things happened to your family and friends, then you were surrounded by morons plain in simple. Those things don't happen to reasonable people with common sense.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:47 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,084,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I agree.

The 2nd amendment was written at a time when males belonged to local militias. They needed guns for that. People also needed guns to shoot marauding wildlife & to shoot animals for food. During the Depression my mother's family didn't starve because my grandfather hunted for food. I don't have a problem with sane people having guns for utilitarian purposes. I have a real problem when gun nuts think that they have a right to force people to own guns.

Does it surprise me that some little town in PA posted that sign? No. I'd be surprised if there were not several towns in Pennsylvania with those signs but then what do you want with Fox.
The SCOTUS sees the 2nd Amendment differently than you.

As far as Fox News, can you tell me what was inaccurate about that news story?

Where do you suggest people get their news from? NBC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte