Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 09:26 AM

3 posts, read 7,323 times

Advertisements

I have read several of the posts on people's opinion of Charlotte. My husband and I are in our 20's with no children yet and our looking to relocate next year. We have lived in San Antonio,TX and Charleston,SC so the heat is not an issue. We are from Ohio and Chicago though. A couple of questions:

Is this a diverse place to live? We are African-American, but we like living in a place that has all races? Not segregated like Chicago or about 90% hispanic like San Antonio!
Is this a close knit community?
What are the Non-Denominatiol churches like?
What are the nice neighborhoods to live in not to close to the city?

Any advice will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 10:34 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBucks! View Post
I have read several of the posts on people's opinion of Charlotte. My husband and I are in our 20's with no children yet and our looking to relocate next year. We have lived in San Antonio,TX and Charleston,SC so the heat is not an issue. We are from Ohio and Chicago though. A couple of questions:

Is this a diverse place to live? We are African-American, but we like living in a place that has all races? Not segregated like Chicago or about 90% hispanic like San Antonio!

Charlotte is a melting pot of all cultures and many neighborhoods multiple races can live on one street so you will be fine there. Charlotte has the most churches than any other city so finding a church should not be problem.
Ideally you want to live on same side of town you work on. Question pose often here that I will ask of you do you plan on renting first or buying a house and how much do you ideally want to spend on each.
Thanks

Old 01-12-2008, 12:01 PM

252 posts, read 879,832 times
There are many many diverse neighborhoods in Charlotte. I moved here from NY 4 years ago, preparing myself for the worst in diversity. SURPRISE!!!! Nothing like I thought. My neighborhood in Harrisburg probably has a person of every color and country and there are only about 100 families to date. Of course there are pockets of prejudices as in any place on earth, but as a whole Charlotte is great in diversity in housing and work. I am originally from Ohio (Cincinnati) and the difference here is like Night & Day.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:05 PM

672 posts, read 1,831,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBucks! View Post

I believe last year that Charlotte was voted, "One of the best places to raise a family if you are African-American." Yes, Charlotte is very diverse.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:23 PM

429 posts, read 730,477 times
I would have to say Charlotte has many races probably some that you've never even heard of. I mean that literally, since two years ago the Birth Reg. office for the state of NC started saying the race is "self identifiable". So people can be whatever they choose. The large corporations have recruited people from all over the country to Charlotte. It's wonderful. To answer your question about the closeness of our area, one would only have to witness our community after it receives the shocking news of the death of one of our police officers. When a tragedy like this occurs, it's like the death of a family member and the young, the old, the richest of the rich, the poorest of the poor, the ones who live on the "bad" side of town, the ones on the Lake or in Myers Park, those who can't speak our language, even the ones who shouldn't be in this country, none of those boundries seem to exist during a time like that. Everyone stands together, cries together and does whatever is needed to support the officers family and the other policemen and really support each other and our city.
After Hurricane Katrina, many families from La., and Ms. were relocated here. There were so many people who donated food, clothing, money, places to stay, that the social workers had to ask people to hold off on bringing any more items. There were physicians who offered free healthcare, but were never called because the just didn't need their services. The support was amazing. I did not live here during Hugo, but my husband did and he said it was them same thing.
So to answer your question, yes, this is one of the kindest, most compassionate, giving cities in the South. And, it's not just the affluent. It's EVERYONE! I think you will love it here.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:37 PM

3 posts, read 7,323 times
Thanks for all the helpful responses.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:12 PM

51 posts, read 163,443 times
Charlotte is not hot.

How would you feel if I said I didn't want to live in a place that was 90% African American? Weird question if you ask me..........

Old 01-13-2008, 10:21 AM

22 posts, read 113,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newinclt View Post
Charlotte is not hot.

How would you feel if I said I didn't want to live in a place that was 90% African American? Weird question if you ask me..........

I believe she was giving an example, She doesn't want to live in a place that is dominately any race.
Charlotte is a fantastic place to live

Old 01-13-2008, 10:58 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,752,731 times
There should be some stuff in the thread below of interest to you...

BET.com Ranks Charlotte as 'Best City' for Black Families

Old 01-13-2008, 11:10 AM

672 posts, read 1,831,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom4two View Post
I believe she was giving an example, She doesn't want to live in a place that is dominately any race.
Charlotte is a fantastic place to live
Agreed, she wasn't saying she wanted to live in a place that was 90% black, but she didn't want to live in a place that was 90% one race either. She was looking for a diverse area and she sure found that in Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: