Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 08:45 PM

6 posts, read 17,368 times

Advertisements

I am a single mom, 30, looking to move to somewhere outside Charlotte. I am a pharmaceutical rep and my price range is 220-250k. I need good schools, my daughter is 8.

I am looking for a place with great neighbors, easy commute to medical offices and hospitals, and open to new friends! I am very scared to make this transition as I am alone and single. However, NY winters have done me in! And my $8k property taxes as well.

Would love a neigborhood that had a community pool/playground if that exists?

Please offer any advice about the friendliness of the communities and how willing people are to accept outsiders? Also, do you find single professionals in the area? Where I am from that has been challenging.

Please provide any assistance you can. Areas to look into? I am coming down 9/5 to look around!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 09:00 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,170,034 times
On the south side of town, consider Weddington Ridge, Candlewyck, Olde Providence, Thornhill, Raintree, Landen Meadows, Southampton, Raeburn, Stone Creek Ranch, Reavencrest...these are all in Mecklenburg County. There obviously would be more options if you head further south into Union County, but I would wait until you know where you will be working.

We have found the Charlotte area to be very accepting -- in fact at times it seems almost everyone is from somewhere else. We are also from NY originally (downstate area) and I have to say we do not miss the winters one bit

Old 08-25-2008, 05:06 AM

797 posts, read 3,296,040 times
This entire city is made up of people from other places so you don't have to worry about that.
Look in area 5,6,7 and union county for that price range.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:19 AM

6 posts, read 17,368 times
Thank you all so much! So you think I could survive by myself with a child? It would be that easy to meet people? I am outgoing!

Old 08-25-2008, 06:47 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,952,454 times
Also on the Northern part of Charlotte you could look at Oakhurst, Heritage Green, Melbourne, Gilead Ridge, Cedarfield (maybe) Village of Rosedale. There are so many options. Do you have a job lined up? If so do you know what part of town it will be on?

Last edited by QC Misfit; 08-25-2008 at 07:10 AM..

Old 08-25-2008, 07:08 AM

407 posts, read 851,932 times
Birkdale Village in Huntersville. Less than 1 mile from
exit 25 on I77.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:57 PM

221 posts, read 724,580 times
Your price range offers many options as far as homes. Where will your office be located, as this will really determine which part of town to live in? There are many nice schools, but make sure you do your research on greatschools.net
Steele Creek has many neighborhoods with community pools/playgrounds. I have several friends with children that age in this part if town, and there are a lot of activities for children. You may also want to visit Belmont/Mount Holly.
Good Luck!

Old 08-29-2008, 06:27 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,465,780 times
It's rare that I can offer a direct neighborhood suggestion for you...but take a look at the neighborhood called "Wellington" in the northeast part of town (known as University City, in the 28269 zip...area "1" I believe on the MLS maps). It is very reminiscent of a more northern neighborhood with large maple trees and houses that reflect that architecture. We *almost* bought in there, but found a better deal just a few miles down the road. Houses go for $200-$350k in there. They have a community pool and playground as well. It's the kind of neighborhood where you'd expect folks to ring your doorbell the first week you're living there to bring you cookies!

University City hosts many medical offices as well as a full blown hospital...and UNCC offers a medical curriculum in the area. I don't have kids (yet) but as I understand it, the area has some of the better schools (not best, but better).

Dare I say it may be a perfect part of town for you...

Many south parts of town are very new, and as a result, it gets just a little more congested than other parts (we rented in Steele Creek for a year before buying in University City, so I've seen the difference myself). Overall though, as long as you get in a good neighborhood (which there are far more than bad ones), I think you'll like any part of town.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:29 AM

4 posts, read 9,362 times
We lived in Landen Meadows - as someone above referenced. There are a ton of families there and a few houses for rent. You could easily buy or rent there and I think you'd find the homes comparible to NY.

We rent for 8 months (6 month lease and 2 month extension) before we bought our home. It was nice to get to know the area and figure out where I wanted to be before we made a "permanent" decision. We came down from Upstate NY - Wilton/Saratoga Springs area. The people here are very freindly, nothing like southern hospitality. Best Wishes!

Old 08-29-2008, 08:42 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,952,454 times
Wellington is a great neighborhood. I used to life guard at the pool during the summers while growing up and watched the neighborhood grow. I still think its one of the better neighborhoods. Great idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte