Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do we need toll lanes on I-485?
Heck, no. 23 67.65%
May be... 4 11.76%
Yes, we need it badly. 7 20.59%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 06:51 AM

227 posts, read 392,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Just adding general purpose lanes is only a temporary fix, as has been said apparently it's already congested again. I'm sure the same thing would happen if general purpose lanes were added to I-77.
I'm curious why you think it would only be a temporary fix for I77 if it was 4 lanes up through (and past) Lake Norman? My understanding is that it's not just the lack of lanes, it's more about the transition from 4 lanes to 2. Traffic moves extremely well up until exit 23, and then it comes to a standstill once everybody tries to merge from 4 to 2 lanes. If it was 4 lanes through Lake Norman, I would think that traffic would continue to move well until whatever point it eventually turned to 2 lanes. That would be a huge help for people in Huntersville, Cornelius, etc. And by the time it turned to 2 lanes, there would be relatively few cars on the road so the merging wouldn't be quite as bad.

Eventually more people would move to the area and make it more congested, but as long as it's a straight and steady 4 lanes it should move relatively well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 11:50 AM

527 posts, read 919,564 times
Studies and scientific data will be useful here.
Texas AM study - EXECUTIVE REPORT: TOLL ROADS, TOLL RATES, AND DRIVER BEHAVIOR
http://d2dtl5nnlpfr0r.cloudfront.net...s/0-6737-1.pdf
My take
There are 2 categories of vehicles on road
1. General Public (going where they need to get to)
2. Business vehicles – Trucks , Vans, SUV etc.

Within each category there are 2 types of variations
1. Ones who won’t mind paying for speed/time saved
2. Ones who won’t pay out of principle, hardship or general lack of need of speed or time saved.
Businesses are usually the ones who are interested in paying and getting quicker where they need to get to.

But I doubt on 485 during peak hours it’s the business vehicles that are clogging. Those are general public trying to get to work and back home. We need to fix that situation. If 30% of current commuters end up using 1 lane of 4 lanes i.e. 25% of the road, we will end of with congestion on the toll (express) lane. If 50% of current commuters end up getting on 25% of the road, it will be a nightmare on express lane. This defeats the purpose of toll lane.
However if only 10% of current commuters end up using 25% of road (toll lane), the rest of the 485 lanes will be another bottleneck.

So whoever is planning they need to think carefully. Should not be driven by some private toll collecting company lobby.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:19 PM

847 posts, read 1,351,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA_NC View Post
Studies and scientific data will be useful here.
Texas AM study - EXECUTIVE REPORT: TOLL ROADS, TOLL RATES, AND DRIVER BEHAVIOR
http://d2dtl5nnlpfr0r.cloudfront.net...s/0-6737-1.pdf
My take
There are 2 categories of vehicles on road
1. General Public (going where they need to get to)
2. Business vehicles – Trucks , Vans, SUV etc.

Within each category there are 2 types of variations
1. Ones who won’t mind paying for speed/time saved
2. Ones who won’t pay out of principle, hardship or general lack of need of speed or time saved.
Businesses are usually the ones who are interested in paying and getting quicker where they need to get to.

But I doubt on 485 during peak hours it’s the business vehicles that are clogging. Those are general public trying to get to work and back home. We need to fix that situation. If 30% of current commuters end up using 1 lane of 4 lanes i.e. 25% of the road, we will end of with congestion on the toll (express) lane. If 50% of current commuters end up getting on 25% of the road, it will be a nightmare on express lane. This defeats the purpose of toll lane.
However if only 10% of current commuters end up using 25% of road (toll lane), the rest of the 485 lanes will be another bottleneck.

So whoever is planning they need to think carefully. Should not be driven by some private toll collecting company lobby.

This is one of the most frustrating things about it for me. The people don't want it to happen, yet the politicians are allowing it anyway.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:37 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,439,097 times
We [ay for these roads with our taxes, and now the DOT want to charge us for using them. This is so they can take money out of Charlotte and spend it some place in the state.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:20 AM

444 posts, read 581,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
"Paying for roads" doesn't mean you should be guaranteed to never be in traffic which is apparently the way some people are taking it. As Zeus said and I said earlier, IMO having "Lexus Lanes" is a lot more tolerable than the entire road being tollled which is what a lot of other states do. If that starts to happen (and I think they were still trying to put new toll roads in Gaston and Union County? those would probably never get used but that's a different topic), then I would understand all the complaining.
i didn't ask for your opinion but you like responding to people and "correcting" their posts/views.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:47 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,339,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT'ah View Post
i didn't ask for your opinion
You are aware of how message boards operate, right? The whole point is for people to interject with their opinion.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:51 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,339,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unthought_known View Post
My understanding is that it's not just the lack of lanes, it's more about the transition from 4 lanes to 2. Traffic moves extremely well up until exit 23, and then it comes to a standstill once everybody tries to merge from 4 to 2 lanes. If it was 4 lanes through Lake Norman, I would think that traffic would continue to move well until whatever point it eventually turned to 2 lanes. That would be a huge help for people in Huntersville, Cornelius, etc. And by the time it turned to 2 lanes, there would be relatively few cars on the road so the merging wouldn't be quite as bad.

Eventually more people would move to the area and make it more congested, but as long as it's a straight and steady 4 lanes it should move relatively well.
That should help the afternoon traffic leaving Charlotte but what about in the mornings? Also is there enough room to add more than 1 lane over the actual lake?

Old 03-06-2015, 05:17 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,378,960 times
Looks like tolls on 77 are closer to happening:

Judge denies injunction to stop I-77 toll lanes | The Charlotte Observer The Charlotte Observer

Old 03-06-2015, 09:39 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,910,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Un-freakin-believable!!! How pathetic can this state really become?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte