Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 06:53 PM

5 posts, read 16,963 times

Advertisements

Ok, I have heard that the local police are already funded by tax money and not to give money over the telephone when someone calls from a Police Fundraiser. But I keep getting phone calls wanting money. Are these calls legit. My caller ID always says 'CALLER UNKNOWN' , 'NUMBER UNKOWN' and this makes me think these calls are scams. Anybody else out there know the real truth about these Police fundraiser Telemarketing calls?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 07:47 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,120,376 times
Anytime you see "Caller Unknown" or something similar on your ID you can bet it's somebody begging. Most of these are scams. The best advice is to never donate or give out any personal information over the phone. Phone phishing for credit card and checking account information has become a big problem.

The police department says that they do not solicit over the phone.

I was told by an officer that if someone solicits for funds over the phone and you wish to donate, NEVER give infomation over the phone. Instead, tell them you want to mail it in. Ask them to send you an envelope. If it's a scam you will never get an envelope or you will get an envelope addressed to a solicitation company a long way from you!

The police department recently sent out a warning about a scam called the "Charlotte Law Enforcement Fund". They tracked it to a phone bank in Florida run by a well known scam operation.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:13 PM

876 posts, read 3,792,623 times
Police do not solicit for money. It's a joke. I am sure maybe 1% of the proceits might make it to the police in the form of a "free lunch party" or some garbage like that, but don't donate to it.

Oh, and the stickers you get when you donate WILL NOT get you out of a ticket.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:13 PM

238 posts, read 1,247,480 times
I live in NJ..We constantly get these calls (atleast one or two everyday) and we are on the DO NOT CALL list! Before we had caller ID I would calls from these "solicitors" asking for myself or my husband by name (sounding like a buddy calling). When I replyed to the request for money with "I give locally" these "police reps" would become rude & hang up on me. Now, thankfully, we caller ID and I ignore any " caller unknowns" or "out of area" numbers. I don't believe the Police would represent themselves with rude & gruff solicitors.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:31 PM

8 posts, read 23,828 times
Default Fundraising misinterpretations

As a recent college grad. interested in moving to Charlotte I decided to join this forum. I happened to read this post about fundraising. It is funny how people perceive Fundraisers and the company's who raise money for GREAT causes.

My dad happens to own a professional fundraising, over 30 years, company in CT where he does business in 5 different states. He is registered with each state and authorized by the Atorney General. I will tell you that most of the time people asking for donations or pledge amounts are who they say they are and for those who ask for credit card info are obviously a scam.(Of course thre are going to be people to act as a cop which is wrong and beliv me those people if caught by the fundraising company will get fired)

It is true, police themselves cannot solicit funds because it is considered a misuse of their badge, however, they may outsource and hire a company to do ALL the work for them. Like any job, people try to be best at what they do. As a solicitor they are told to make as many sales as possible and given incntives which is why some people disobey companys rules(just like a lot of people in any business do!) A lot of the people at my fathers business who call are in need of money and actually work their butts off--the only people really benefiting are my father an the other president-executives and etc...

I hate when people give this kind of stuff a bad rep without knowing a thing about how the business is run. I agree, for ex., my dad will raise $300,000 for a police org. in upsate n york and he will keep 70 percent of it, leaving th organization with 90-100k. You might think this is crazy but ask yourself where else is that police organization going find a company to raise 100k, no one, since policeman cannot solicit funs how else can you raise money for the local needy families or youth athletic leagues? WHo is there to blame, the solicitors for doing the job, my father for being an entrepreneur and in oing so HELPING people out, or the policman for doing no work (since they already have their hands full) to get $100,000.

I am sorry I elaborated so much on this but throughout high school and collge I was a solicitor and raised a lot of money because I was true and i told the truth, WE DON'T ASK PEOPLE TO DONATE OFF THE BAT, JUST TO LISTEN and consider giving a donation and trust me we will try our best to answer all questions Now that I have given you the inside scoop of how this business is run just remember who are you really mad at when you get a call from a LEGIT telemarketer--> You are probably mad because you THINK that the 2 minutes that you wasted on the phone with the solicitor you could have been doing something more important right or is is that you dont know anything about the business, but listen to what other people say or is it you find out that once in a while ther is a scam from this kind of stuff. All I am saying is be certain about what it is you know! it is just like professional baseball Do not hate the game because 5-10 players you know of MIGHT have taken substance abuses-- i guess this kin of stuff gives people stuff to gossip about and take all their frustrations out on a person who makes minimum wage or the owners who are succssfull

Thank you all and my answer to all of this is that if you think a call is suspicious ask for the number of the Sheriff or police guy who heads up the drive and EVERY TIME they will give it to you- give the caller a chance to talk, an if thy can talk the pitch they will sell the pitch! D A

Old 01-19-2008, 01:41 PM

Default Be Nice

Police do not solicit for money. It's a joke. I am sure maybe 1% of the proceits might make it to the police in the form of a "free lunch party" or some garbage like that, but don't donate to it.

Oh, and the stickers you get when you donate WILL NOT get you out of a ticket- NICE SARCASM, you must have given a $5 donation just to get one of those tickets!

also, when i called i was calling to inform the community that we were raising money so that when i sent out a SELF ADRESSED ENVELOPE, A DECAL, AND 5-10 PASSES TO AN OLDIES SHOW THAT WAS BEING PROMOTED the person would have alray heard about the organization and will see first hand with all the info that it is legit- thats all it is!

Old 01-19-2008, 10:05 PM

876 posts, read 3,792,623 times
Mr. Albino Danny; spell checker next time there college grad.

I do not know of any police agencies that would take money from a fundraiser. It's considered a gratuity and unethical to take money like that. I'm sure there might be a few out there, but the likelihood is slim to none.

Lastly, if I am on the DO NOT CALL list, I expect the solicitor to do his job and recognize the fact that I am on the list and leave me the "insert word here" alone!

Old 01-19-2008, 11:25 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,218,962 times
It is not the police or fire dept asking for the funds, it is usually a group associated with them. Police and Fire pay their bills from tax money. But special funds are set up outside of those that can request money. They usually send a form for you to complete. Don't give CC info over the phone anyway. Also the Do Not Call list is for solicitations, this is different and if you read the do not call list, certain calls can get through, calls from the local groups are one.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:16 AM

Default I admit I am an idiot

Are you telling me that all college graduates should know how to spell? You are right, I am sorry that I offended you and I am sure you felt a lot better making me aware of all my mistakes. Opinions are opinions, but just so you know the point I tried to make was not to label all companies as a scam just look into it and be CERTAIN. That is it MR. Senior Member! Have a great day English teacher! ALL my words are spelled correctly! Yessssss

D a

Old 01-21-2008, 07:31 PM

142 posts, read 608,293 times
I can tell you that here in Florida my city's local Fraternal Order of Police (FOP) does solicit over the phone. The FOP pays a telemarketing company to do this for them. All of the money raised goes to that specific FOP lodge and the charities that they contribute to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte