Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 08:51 PM

54 posts, read 151,530 times

Advertisements

I spent time in Charlotte a couple of years ago, and the cityscape looked pristine overall. However, I have returned for my job and the cityscape is looking a bit ragged. Overgrown grass and weeds on the street medians and tree lawns. Noticeable litter in various places. What the heck happened (is happening)??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 09:19 PM

150 posts, read 263,814 times
What? Its the complete opposite :-). Not sure exactly what part you visited, but uptown has only improved in the last few years. It's still very clean and the big difference is the real estate has gone up and new additions added, which is a good thing imo... ex. knights stadium, apartments, etc. The surrounding areas are also growing, which is causing empty lots, old buildings, etc... to be bought out/removed and replaced with new additions.

Google Charlotte construction... one of the hottest places in America currently :-)

If this all doesn't pan out in a few years (it maybe somewhat of a bubble...who knows for sure)... then I would expect posts like this, but not now, as all is currently hot here

Last edited by sixburgh90; 04-21-2015 at 09:45 PM..

Old 04-22-2015, 08:06 AM

1,149 posts, read 934,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick808 View Post
I spent time in Charlotte a couple of years ago, and the cityscape looked pristine overall. However, I have returned for my job and the cityscape is looking a bit ragged. Overgrown grass and weeds on the street medians and tree lawns. Noticeable litter in various places. What the heck happened (is happening)??
I agree, Charlotte is growing, however, that brings in more people and unfortunately it's getting run down.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:45 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,703,450 times
I mean, it is also the peak of spring - everything is growing fast and wild this time of year.

As for litter, that's not seasonal, just lazy.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:00 AM

385 posts, read 729,877 times
We're overrun by zombies.

Save yourself.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:01 AM

564 posts, read 1,454,284 times
The city did do a big landscape blitz prior tot he DNC and then did not maintain alot of it.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:31 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,653,629 times
Yeah! Wasn't that Charlotte I saw on Walking Dead?

Old 04-24-2015, 09:37 AM

1,055 posts, read 2,127,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick808 View Post
Charlotte has a long-standing reputation for not maintaining street medians, clogged gutters, etc. The center-city streets are maintained, and of course sections of streets kept up by private contractors like Colony Rd between Fairview & Sharon but the rest has pretty much gone to hell in a hand basket. It doesn't help when landscapers blow all their residual mess into the streets. Is this allowed? Well, it appears to be in Charlotte!

So yes, drive up Providence Rd, Runnymede, Randolph just to name a few, and by July, the weeds will be 4 feet high and trees growing out of gutters every where. Since the "clean-sweep" in August 2012 (DNC) there has been zero to no real median, curb, gutter maintenance to speak of.

But, I will end with this. Since the city is NOT proactive in the "basics" of upkeep and maintenance of medians and curbs, calling 311 will net results. And for those who want to email complaints of street maintenance to THE source, contact Ken Martin, at the CDoT at kmartin@ci.charlotte.nc.us

I recently complained about a certain bus stop that did not have a trash can and the bojangles boxes were piling up on the sidewalk. Within 2 weeks, they put a trash can there. So yes, you can get results if you email the right person. Just too bad the city has no real plan to keep these areas maintained on a weekly or even monthly basis.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:02 PM

65 posts, read 71,833 times
We must be looking in different sections of the city. My drive down Providence, Colony or Queens is spectacular, beautiful flowers everywhere, lush green lawns. Stuff is growing so quickly at the moment though, so there is 'some' overgrown feel here and there. And rubbish......I think I spotted a soda can on the road but can't be sure.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:45 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,127,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieRich View Post
We must be looking in different sections of the city. My drive down Providence, Colony or Queens is spectacular, beautiful flowers everywhere, lush green lawns. Stuff is growing so quickly at the moment though, so there is 'some' overgrown feel here and there. And rubbish......I think I spotted a soda can on the road but can't be sure.
Well here's just one example of literally hundreds I could give. Drive Providence Rd from Alexander Rd south to I-485. Weeds growing out of the cracks of solid concrete medians. Gutters clogged for years. Small trees growing out of drains. Last year these weeds were approaching 4 feet in height. It's quite disturbing. Only the cold weather knocked them down temporarily. The city does absolutely nothing! Sardis Rd where it meets Providence Rd. Every gutter in the median has been clogged with debris for over 3 years now. There are small trees growing out of the gutters now. It's sad.

Believe me, I would not be concerned if this were in just a couple places but it is pretty much everywhere there is a solid concrete median. If you don't notice it, then you aren't looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte