Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2015, 10:26 AM

4 posts, read 4,658 times

Advertisements

There's a very good chance we are relocating this summer from New England as my husband has a job with Lowe's. I am researching schools and have some questions.

My kids are both very smart - my son is profoundly gifted in math and is also on the autism spectrum. He is able to be in mainstream classes and does not require many services but will need teachers sensitive to his needs who will also challenge him academically. He will be entering 8th grade.

My daughter is also gifted in math but struggles with spelling and ADHD and anxiety. She too is in regular Ed but needs a nurturing, challenging environment. She will be entering 5th grade.

Also interested in hearing if bullying is an issue at many schools.

We are looking in the 350-550k range and I would like to be fairly close to the schools as I am so over the 15+ minutes it takes me to get to school now. My husband currently commutes 40+ minutes so anything under that would be ideal!

Also, have there been some traffic improvements? I've read about it taking over an hour to pick some kids up from school! True??

Thanks so much for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 11:32 AM

162 posts, read 213,319 times
Lowes is right on the border of Mecklenburg and Iredell Counties.

The two nearest high schools are both some of the best in the area. Lake Norman High in Mooresville (Iredell) and Hough High in Cornelius (Mecklenburg). If you're living anywhere near Lowes, your kids will be on track to go to one of these schools.

I believe Lake Norman high has a slightly better reputation and Iredell is known to have lower taxes. I don't have any kids in either school though, this is just coming from what I know about the area.

You'll want to live somewhere near the school if that commute is the highest priority. Neither is super far from Lowes, but traffic on 77 can be horrendous at all times of day, especially rush hour. Same goes for many of the secondary roads as well. This area is popular and the roads weren't built to handle it. Improvements are going to be slow coming, don't count on them in your decision.

The Mooresville/Davidson/Cornelius is, for the most part, a great and highly desirable area. 350-550k will put you in a nice average to above average house in these areas, depending on what you're looking for.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:27 PM

193 posts, read 496,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmenSista View Post
There's a very good chance we are relocating this summer from New England as my husband has a job with Lowe's. I am researching schools and have some questions.

My kids are both very smart - my son is profoundly gifted in math and is also on the autism spectrum. He is able to be in mainstream classes and does not require many services but will need teachers sensitive to his needs who will also challenge him academically. He will be entering 8th grade.

My daughter is also gifted in math but struggles with spelling and ADHD and anxiety. She too is in regular Ed but needs a nurturing, challenging environment. She will be entering 5th grade.

Also interested in hearing if bullying is an issue at many schools.

We are looking in the 350-550k range and I would like to be fairly close to the schools as I am so over the 15+ minutes it takes me to get to school now. My husband currently commutes 40+ minutes so anything under that would be ideal!

Also, have there been some traffic improvements? I've read about it taking over an hour to pick some kids up from school! True??

Thanks so much for any help.
Hi, and Welcome to the area...almost! We are a huge Lowe's community here and many of the families live in Mooresville. This is the south side of Iredell County. Mooresville is served by two school systems- Mooresville Graded and Iredell County School System. Both have an excellent reputation, but will depend on the exact schools. My children have gone to school from K - 9th grade now. I have a 6th grader with an IEP plan due to anxiety and dyslexia (he is also has mild developmental disorder, but very capable)We have only experienced support, and love the teams that we have had helping him since 3rd grade. He is able to excel where he can naturally and have support in other areas. There are some great programs here as well that work with children on the spectrum if you ever need a referral. My son attends Brawley Middle School, and attended Woodland Heights Elementary. Both Schools offer tours, and the one that I went on last week, we were able to meet with the special assistance team which was so reassuring to the family moving here. My daughter attends Lake Norman High School, and again we are so happy there. They offer so many levels of classes that you are really able to challenge them academically in some areas with AP classes and standard classes in other areas. Parents and kids here seem to be very aware of the national bullying problems and as far as I have noticed, it is simply not tolerated at any of the schools we have attended. We have a high level of parent involvement at the schools that I mentioned and I really think it helps...(more eyes looking out for everyone) Many Neighborhoods off Brawley School Road would certainly meet your price range and travel times to work and school. If you let me know some more about your specifications for housing, I will gladly make some suggestions. Do you want to be in a neighborhood? lot size, bedrooms, lake access? It's a great time to visit the area while schools are still in session, and the weather is perfect right now other than the rain today

Old 04-25-2015, 03:41 PM

4 posts, read 4,658 times
Thanks for the replies! I'm grateful for the reassurance about the schools and those with IEPs. Keep the comments coming - so helpful!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte