Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 01:35 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,147,427 times

Advertisements

News that the current agreement to add toll lanes on I-77 was amended in the 11th hour to prevent general purpose lanes for 50 years is making a lot of leaders uncomfortable with the agreement. (Here's the basics if your not aware Governor McCrory says he won't stop I-77 toll lane plan - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC) So far, I've yet to hear anyone say the amendment is a good idea and in the best interest of the state, only that its too late to do anything about it.

In the future, if its discovered that an official received a kickback (or some other form illicit compensation) to add this amendment against the interest of the state, will this provision become void? If I was a reporter (or FBI agent, or a politician looking for a way to blackmail other politicians), I would find out who the key officials that negotiated this deal and pay very close attention for the next couple years. A rich consulting agreement in the future from I-77 Mobility Partners or one of its affiliates is something the public would like to know about it.

What do y'all think? Does this provision benefit NC? If not, should we try to renegotiate or accept that its too late? Do you think the public has the right to know the specifics of how this provision was negotiated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 04:14 PM

186 posts, read 436,375 times
I read McCrory's comments and found them very disingenuous. Leaders in LKN did not push or advocate for toll lanes, they grudgingly and reluctantly accepted them after being repeatedly told by bureaucrats that this was the only option. Only after that, did McCrory propose these bonds for less heavily traveled transportation corridors. And the DOT and state have delayed this multiple times so pretending a delay is not an option is just so ridiculous. And mentioning the Red Line (which is totally defunct) is just beyond the pale. He doesn't even seem to know how many lanes exactly are already available and free so he'd be better off just shutting it.

As to the money trail there has been some reporting that Thom Tillis supporters and donors are owners of property right off of I-77 at a possible future interchange. There was some scuttlebutt a while back that Thom was exerting force on local politicos to keep quiet or lose the bonus money, most of which is now slated for improvements to support the toll lanes themselves instead of doing things like local turn lanes or widening 115 or 21. Some of our reps have been a little more vocal now that Thommy is safely in DC.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:54 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,977,853 times
This isn't "news". Widen I-77.org warned people a year ago about the non-compete.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:26 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,909,043 times
McCrory is really not off-base. Simply look at the Widen I77 website and you'll see plenty of information showing that the wonderful leaders of the affected communities were TOTALLY ON BOARD with the toll lanes and did their damndest to silence the anti-toll advocates. This includes Thom "TollRoad" Tillis.

http://wideni77.org/elected-officials/

Last edited by Stripes17; 05-14-2015 at 06:35 PM..

Old 05-20-2015, 09:56 PM

372 posts, read 723,110 times
To be honest, I really never gave this issue a second thought. Up until now.

What got my attention was when the Mecklenburg County Commission addressed this the other night. And then, Commissioner Puckett began to address the red flags and lack of oversight with how this all came about, everyone not only along the I-77 corridor, but Mecklenburg County, should be furious.

Not only did Puckett address how wrong this proposal is, but EVERY SINGLE MEMBER on the commission, overwhelmingly voted against it and agreed it should be delayed.

- A 50 year non compete agreement? Seriously?

- A private company set's the toll rate (And can change it at anytime) at their discretion?

- Cintra gets to take ownership of the already built HOV Lanes, built with tax payer funds, use it as their own for revenue and annex it for the same????

- The proposed lane structure will be constructed in such a manner, it will not allow departure from the toll lane, by use of a divider except for those areas along I-77 designated by Cintra to allow for departure. In other words, say for example, if you're in the toll lane, and traveling North, and need to get off at exit 28, and the divider doesn't allow it, either plan on jumping off it earlier and then, everyone will again congest I-77 until exit 28 or clog up 21 or 115 to get there. Same applies if you go up further, jump off, and have to turn around and come back.

- The monetary penalty and compensation to Cintra is such that for backing out of the agreement, they stand to still be paid millions of dollars, and not even ever having to provide 1 labor hours worth of work?

There is so much fail in this proposal, as to how it was structured, who agreed to it, who signed it, and how it came to be, one can only hope there will be enough outrage to kick everyone who had a hand in it, to the curb.

VA was smart enough to say no. We need to be next. Do we need some relief? Definitely. But this is definitely not the way to do it.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:59 AM

743 posts, read 825,493 times
I don't care for toll lanes in general but most of these elected officials either were asleep or don't listen well because anybody with common sense can reason that Cintra wants to protect it's investment & would want to discourage free lane capacity, so coming out at the last minute to me is more about being on the right side of the issue politically.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:12 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,208,453 times
This really does screw Mooresville and Huntersville residents for the next 50 years, wow......

Old 05-21-2015, 07:28 AM

227 posts, read 392,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneuvakind View Post
- Cintra gets to take ownership of the already built HOV Lanes, built with tax payer funds, use it as their own for revenue and annex it for the same????
This is the part that surprised me when I first read about it. I can see why they would charge tolls for the lanes that they build. It's expensive to put up new lanes, and they need to make their money back. But I can't see the logic in allowing them to charge tolls for lanes that are already built, and currently free.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:09 AM

743 posts, read 825,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unthought_known View Post
This is the part that surprised me when I first read about it. I can see why they would charge tolls for the lanes that they build. It's expensive to put up new lanes, and they need to make their money back. But I can't see the logic in allowing them to charge tolls for lanes that are already built, and currently free.
The HOV lane is mostly unused with the exception of CATS express buses serving LKN & it is being converted to a express lane& extended to Cornelius. Cintra is building the second express lane along with the new lane in Iredell county. On the somewhat bright side, these lanes will make express service thru the region more reliable & possibly increase ridership

Old 05-22-2015, 12:54 PM

162 posts, read 213,127 times
The only way they make money is if people use their lanes. The only reason people pay to use their lanes is if the free general purpose lanes are clogged, congested, and a mess.

The only thing building these lanes does to I-77 traffic is guarantee that it will continue to be bad. Now theres a financial incentive for it to be bad!

This is more of an additional problem than it is any kind of solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte