Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 11:43 AM

549 posts, read 679,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
UCPS needs competent leadership, bottom line. I won't go as far as to say they are all incompetent but this isn't the sleepy backwoods county it once was. The same policies and principles used to manage $50MM won't work when managing $500MM+.

I'm disappointed with most. The boards' duty is to provide direction and oversight for UCPS and the budget process provides the opportunity to do so.

Do any of them know:
  • How much has been spent on technology and the laptop initiative?
  • Whether the laptop initiative improved academic performance?
  • How much each school is getting for classroom supplies?
  • How much is being spent (and not spent) on texts?
  • Which schools are getting those texts?
  • How many digital texts have been purchased to date?
  • What courses or special programs are being taught at which schools?
  • How many students are taking online courses because classes are not offered at their school?
It's time to ask the tough questions and focus on operations rather than capital needs.

Last edited by BubbaHelms; 05-20-2015 at 11:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 01:27 PM

124 posts, read 161,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancher4life View Post
The first double down was from the BOE when they stacked the budget and justified doing so claiming they had to ask for everything to get it in court. That's s threat to sue.

The first shot fired was the appeal they filed. They left the county no choice but to defend the taxpayers.

And the $200,000 is peanuts to the nearly $3 million they have cost the county in legal fees.
First off, they didn't file an appeal, they can only appeal to the Supreme Court, they asked for a rehearing for legal clarification, big difference. The rehearing was denied.

Second, the BOE is not to blame for the $3 million in legal fees in my opinion. Let's all remember this started over a $8 million difference in the budget that year that UCPS was asking for, the BOCC refused to give it to them. The BOE sued over that $8 million, the jury decided to award them much more for the shortchanging in past budgets (past BOCC's and BOE's). Now let's also remember that the BOCC was crying they had no money to give them the $8 million but somehow due to a miracle of sorts they found $9 million for roofs and another $3 million for MCR's as well (but we have no money). Had they simply given them the funds there would not have been $3 million in lawyers fees. Funny, how the BOE was the darlings of most residents because they fought for our schools but as soon as redistricting hit they were somehow the villians and the BOCC skated free of their part in all this mess.

The BOCC now wants to hire a lobbyist for $100,000 and has retained more lawyers for $200,000 very prematurely, they could have hired them at a later date if need be. That's pretty close to half a $1 million bucks, yet they say the BOE spends like a "drunken sailor". Toss the legal fees that the BOCC has caused to be incurred, well, hello there, pot meet kettle, kettle meet pot!

The working group formed with BOCC, BOE and citizens have been working on the budget together. They have made it abundantly clear that $380 million or so is for their 8 year CCEP. They were told and learned during the court case that they need to ask for all funds upfront whether they intend to spend it all in one year or not, which they are NOT, they have made that clear in all the meetings (if you have watched them). This is a 8 year plan which will be funded by $19 million or so per year for capital funds, pay go and the rest in a bond referendum. The city finance manager knows this, the BOCC chair and the rest of them know this, this is merely histronics on their part to rile up the citizens once more. The BOE has NOT threatened to sue, this CCEP is not a threat to sue.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:21 PM

631 posts, read 891,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCTaxPayer View Post
... Funny, how the BOE was the darlings of most residents because they fought for our schools but as soon as redistricting hit they were somehow the villians and the BOCC skated free of their part in all this mess.

...The city finance manager knows this, the BOCC chair and the rest of them know this, this is merely histronics on their part to rile up the citizens once more.
Yes, I recall so many people supporting the BOE during that trial. Some very specific people too. My how that changed fast.

Sounds like the BOCC is also drinking Kool Aide. CAPS flavored I presume?

Old 05-20-2015, 07:36 PM

549 posts, read 679,468 times
I think much of the controversy could have been avoided. Why did UCPS ask for money for future years? The budget should only reflect what could realistically be spent in the coming budget year. The captial proposal for future years should have been attached for reference not included in the budget request. I think this budget request was a misstep that will not sell well in the court of public opinion.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:44 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
Too bad we cannot start fresh by removing all the current members that have an ax to grind on our money...

Old 05-21-2015, 08:46 AM

527 posts, read 743,929 times
Quote:
Now let's also remember that the BOCC was crying they had no money to give them the $8 million but somehow due to a miracle of sorts they found $9 million for roofs and another $3 million for MCR's as well (but we have no money).
Having no money and not wanting to waste money are two different things. UCPS mismanages funds and the BOE does nothing to correct it. How many times have we heard a BOE member say "well they're the experts"... when in fact they aren't the experts. They are educators. If they were experts and beyond question we wouldn't need a BOE. The BOCC shouldn't give them a single red cent above baseline operating costs and emergency repairs until UCPS can quantitatively show responsibility and improvement.

Quote:
Funny, how the BOE was the darlings of most residents because they fought for our schools but as soon as redistricting hit they were somehow the villians and the BOCC skated free of their part in all this mess.
They were the "darlings" because most people didn't know the facts or the players. They were exposed over the past 20 months. They became the "villians" because they don't act in the best interest of the people that elect them.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
Having no money and not wanting to waste money are two different things. UCPS mismanages funds and the BOE does nothing to correct it. How many times have we heard a BOE member say "well they're the experts"... when in fact they aren't the experts. They are educators. If they were experts and beyond question we wouldn't need a BOE. The BOCC shouldn't give them a single red cent above baseline operating costs and emergency repairs until UCPS can quantitatively show responsibility and improvement.

They were the "darlings" because most people didn't know the facts or the players. They were exposed over the past 20 months. They became the "villians" because they don't act in the best interest of the people that elect them.

Hmm, the BOCC controls the purse strings, they either yea or nea money for UCPS based on their needs/wants. Up until this school year and the next one the BOCC had say over how those funds were spent, allocated money for a specific request and the UCPS had to spend the money on that UNLESS the BOCC gave them the ok to spend it otherwise. So to me, that is saying if money was mismanaged then it comes from the one controlling the purse strings.

Just because they didn't agree and DO what certain people on one side of the county wanted does not mean they didn't act in the best interest of the people. There are more people than just one side of the county. Growth is exploding again on the west side, anyone who drives in that area can see the building, building building! I'm not saying moving a ton of kids was the best move but something had to be done. I can also understand the thinking was to do such a move so it wouldn't have to be done again for hopefully 5 years. We didn't and still don't have the funds to construct new clusters hence the 8 year CCEP plan to renovate/expand/build.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree, you have your opinions just as I have mine, there's an old saying for that but I will digress, lol.

Last edited by UCTaxPayer; 05-21-2015 at 11:19 AM..

Old 05-21-2015, 12:34 PM

161 posts, read 194,542 times
So much wrong with this post, I had to do some homework to respond.

Quote:
First off, they didn't file an appeal, they can only appeal to the Supreme Court, they asked for a rehearing for legal clarification, big difference. The rehearing was denied.

Not technically called an "appeal" the motion for rehearing does the same thing, by asking the court to reconsider their decision. Because the BOCC won the case 3-0, the BOE would have to ask the the NC Supreme Court to hear the case. Most attorneys won't ask the court of appeals for a rehearing on a decision 3-0 decision. That is a complete waste of taxpayer money. The 3-0 verdict within 3 days further proved how out of touch with reality this board is.

Second, the BOE is not to blame for the $3 million in legal fees in my opinion. Let's all remember this started over a $8 million difference in the budget that year that UCPS was asking for, the BOCC refused to give it to them. The BOE sued over that $8 million, the jury decided to award them much more for the shortchanging in past budgets (past BOCC's and BOE's). Now let's also remember that the BOCC was crying they had no money to give them the $8 million but somehow due to a miracle of sorts they found $9 million for roofs and another $3 million for MCR's as well (but we have no money). Had they simply given them the funds there would not have been $3 million in lawyers fees. Funny, how the BOE was the darlings of most residents because they fought for our schools but as soon as redistricting hit they were somehow the villians and the BOCC skated free of their part in all this mess.

No doubt the BOE made very poor judgement when they decided to sacrifice their political collateral. Nothing short of pure stupidity and arrogance on their part. If you follow the budget you will learn that the money they "found" was a result of the change in the vehicle tax laws. Payment became due at the time of registration providing the county with a surplus. But lets take a moment to talk about "finding money" Amazing Dr. Ellis couldn't find the money to fix the roofs at my children's school, but found her own surplus of $7,000,000.000 to buy laptops that same year. Oh and guess what else she found money for recently, 6 figure raises for her and her cabinet staff, and another $4,000,000.00 this year for more laptops. All while she can't afford to pay her teachers. Funny how that works.

The BOCC now wants to hire a lobbyist for $100,000 and has retained more lawyers for $200,000 very prematurely, they could have hired them at a later date if need be. That's pretty close to half a $1 million bucks, yet they say the BOE spends like a "drunken sailor". Toss the legal fees that the BOCC has caused to be incurred, well, hello there, pot meet kettle, kettle meet pot!

The schools have a multitude of lobbyists in Raleigh. If you watched the BOCC meeting you would also understand the request that was made to hire a lobbyist. The presentation by the county was to hire a lobbyist in order to deal with the Norwood deal and the Catawba Water Basin. Believe it or not, we have more issues in Union County than UCPS the require funding. Most counties pay lobbyists. Now here is the kicker, last year UCPS budgeted for $300,000.00 in legal fees. They asked the county for $500,000.00

The working group formed with BOCC, BOE and citizens have been working on the budget together. They have made it abundantly clear that $380 million or so is for their 8 year CCEP. They were told and learned during the court case that they need to ask for all funds upfront whether they intend to spend it all in one year or not, which they are NOT, they have made that clear in all the meetings (if you have watched them). This is a 8 year plan which will be funded by $19 million or so per year for capital funds, pay go and the rest in a bond referendum. The city finance manager knows this, the BOCC chair and the rest of them know this, this is merely histronics on their part to rile up the citizens once more. The BOE has NOT threatened to sue, this CCEP is not a threat to sue.
Per the legislative statute the working group was formed to develop and budget for a plan to address capital expenses. Again, if you watch the meetings UCPS and the BOE refused to budge on the contents of the CCEP. If they wanted this money over the course of 8 years they should have budgeted it that way. Requesting the funds all in the first year and rhetoric about have to do so you get payment in court was nothing short of shot fired across the deck. I think they thought they would hold the threat of a lawsuit of over the heads of the BOCC and the BOCC called their bluff. The BOE and UCPS looks foolish and it's about time someone exposed the little man behind the curtain.

This morning I open my Facebook to see Kevin Stewart shooting off his mouth about the county, BOCC, and the fire department issues. Is that really the smartest move right before they sit down to budget negations or is this a calculated attempt to **** off the BOCC? I'm beginning believe their aggressive actions are nothing more than a desire to go back to court. They are going to bankrupt and destroy this county if allowed to continue on this "march to the sea". Mr. "Safety" Stewart should spend more time worrying about exploding school busses and leave fire safety to the professionals.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:06 PM

161 posts, read 194,542 times
Looks like more trouble for UCPS. They just can't get their act straight. This is a classic example of FAILED leadership and the ongoing conspiracy of the boe to cover up her mistakes. This time it has permanently disfigured a child.

Lawsuit filed after student severely burned by antifreeze on... | www.wsoctv.com

Old 05-22-2015, 07:08 AM

The BOE has instructed it's lawyers to drop it's lawsuit against the BOCC. They also stated in open session that they are not gearing up to sue over the 2015/16 budget. They also stated in open session that they have no plans to redistrict in the foreseeable future as well.

UCPS board drops case against county commissioners - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte