Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 12:27 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,494,722 times

Advertisements

Three days before we went to Florida on vacation, I had our Directv disconnected and we got cable.

Directv and Dish both said they could not give us High Def because of our tree line, so, we switched.

I have switched out one of the DVRs twice and now the others aren't working. When we try to switch the channel, the entire thing AND the TV shuts off.

A guy is coming out tomorrow to fix it, but so far, we are thinking this was a bad idea.

Oh, and we were on vacation for 10 of the 13 days!~

High Def does us no good if we can't even get TV!!!!

Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 04:27 PM

89 posts, read 311,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Three days before we went to Florida on vacation, I had our Directv disconnected and we got cable.

Directv and Dish both said they could not give us High Def because of our tree line, so, we switched.

I have switched out one of the DVRs twice and now the others aren't working. When we try to switch the channel, the entire thing AND the TV shuts off.

A guy is coming out tomorrow to fix it, but so far, we are thinking this was a bad idea.

Dawn

Bad idea? You have very little choice. They gotcha. I am buying a new home and trying to figure out what to do as well. If you want internet and Cable TV its a no brainer in my opinion.. cable.. its just cheaper and more reliable (USUALLY!).. than a dish.. rain messes up dish signals as do cloudy days and of course... trees..

So... unless someone else has better advice I'd say hang in there.. my guess is most people have nearly no problems at all with cable.. I had cable back in colorado and had virtually no problems.

I will say this however.. the cost is INSANE. I can't believe I am gonna shell out over $100 a month for phone, cable and internet. If my GF didn't HAVE to have CABLE I would just have internet and get all my news there.. I'd rent movies via online DVD's.. but thats me.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 01-20-2008, 05:38 PM

36 posts, read 228,214 times
Constant, irritating problems with digital cable...We finally ditched the internal cable card, but it still freezes, loses channels and narrows our "broad"band internet on a fairly regular basis.

I finally decided to switch to DirectTV and just keep the internet (dsl doesn't really meet our needs) and they can't get a line of sight to the satelite so no option there.....UGH! TW is absolutely the pits!

Old 01-20-2008, 05:43 PM

$100/month is cheap for phone, internet and cable.

We have to have the higher speed internet for DH to do work from home.

We also have DVRs with our cable and some premium channels.

I am keeping our Vonage as it is cheaper. Most of our calls are outside of NC and SC, so getting the TWC phone would cost more.

I think we pay $30/mo for Vonage, $39/month for cable modem and $85/month for cable TV.

It was actually cheaper to have Directv, although we had no High Def.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barchetta View Post
Bad idea? You have very little choice. They gotcha. I am buying a new home and trying to figure out what to do as well. If you want internet and Cable TV its a no brainer in my opinion.. cable.. its just cheaper and more reliable (USUALLY!).. than a dish.. rain messes up dish signals as do cloudy days and of course... trees..

So... unless someone else has better advice I'd say hang in there.. my guess is most people have nearly no problems at all with cable.. I had cable back in colorado and had virtually no problems.

I will say this however.. the cost is INSANE. I can't believe I am gonna shell out over $100 a month for phone, cable and internet. If my GF didn't HAVE to have CABLE I would just have internet and get all my news there.. I'd rent movies via online DVD's.. but thats me.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 01-20-2008, 06:01 PM

47 posts, read 102,048 times
Welcome to Time Warner.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:13 PM

251 posts, read 1,128,416 times
I've never had a problem with Time Warner---digital cable or internet. Actually, the picture quality is better than Direct and Roadrunner is no comparison to DSL. Be patient, they'll get your problems worked out.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:23 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,496,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post

Dawn
Dawn - as Bill Clinton would say, "I feel your pain". I have TW with one DVR - an 8300HD and a 4250 in my bedroom along with Roadrunner and Vonage for my phone service. TW's digital phone costs more than Vonage so I'm keeping the Vonage. I think once the TW guy gets everything straightened out you'll be able to relax for a while (I hope). I just wish I could only pay for the channels I watch - 20 or so and they could keep the rest-that might be cheaper for a while, until they find another way to gouge you. I hear in the not-to-distant future we will be able to buy our own cable boxes (not just the Tivo stuff and would only have to pay for a cable card rental instead of the outrageous DVR rental fees! If our salaries inflated at the same rates as the cable industry rate increases, I'd be a happy camper!

Old 01-20-2008, 09:21 PM

380 posts, read 1,757,698 times
We had nothing but trouble with the DVR that we got from TWC. So we just had them come get it and we are buying another Tivo.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:09 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,222,418 times
I have had no issues in 2 years, other than one minor issue with the phone that got resolved.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:43 AM

The guy is coming out today, so hopefully things will be resolved.

At least there is no charge.

Dawn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte