Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2015, 11:17 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times

Advertisements

Planning on visiting on Thursday, 6/11. We plan on getting there at opening and staying as long as we are having fun.

My main question is to ask what you expect the crowds to be like on a weekday, but early in the season. Crazy-packed, or just "pretty busy"?

Also, open to any good advice for making the most of it.

We are coming in from Raliegh the night before, staying with family.
Plan to be there at or before opening
Already have tickets
Will eat breakfast before arriving
Packing a picnic lunch
Having snacks and water bottles
Driving home after.

What else?

(I know this is a kinda dumb post, but sometimes one gets really good ideas from others who have recently done the same. And I'm curious about what people think the crowds will be like...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 12:14 PM

777 posts, read 2,568,582 times
This Thursday the park will probably be fairly quite. Charlotte schools are still in session (Thursday is their last day) and it is forecasted for 93 degrees.

Most everything else you have covered (minus dinner unless you eat that in the park). Ride the main attractions (Fury/Intimidator) first thing. Our wait this weekend for Fury was 10 minutes (Sunday morning within the first hour of the park opening). Walked right up for Intimidator.

Best time for the water park is right at opening and after 5.

If you have kids under 52", get them banded at the entrance near guest services. That way they know exactly what they can go on and not get measured ever time (and possibly turned away if right on the edge of being able to ride).

Free ice water at most concession stands...just ask.

Fill up with gas when you enter/leave the park. It is 20+ cents cheaper in SC than NC.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:58 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,961,604 times
Cabarrus County gets out on Wednesday so it might be a bit more crowded.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:09 PM

630 posts, read 1,717,513 times
Union County gets out Wednesday as well. I still think it will be a bit slower than weekend crowds.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:58 PM

443 posts, read 1,258,445 times
I don't think you will have much of a crowd. Be prepared for the heat though, as it seems you are.

Have a great time.

If you get in early Wednesday it might be worth your time to go to the US National White Water Center in Charlotte that afternoon and evening. Our friends from Raleigh always go to WWC and Carowinds when they come each year. VERY expensive 1 1/2 day trip, but both are activities you will not get in Raleigh. They have an older teen and a 11 year old and the whole family enjoys both, but love the white water rafting and zip lines at the WCC.

T

Old 06-10-2015, 01:15 PM

Thanks to everyone for their feedback. I'm still sitting at work (in Raleigh), so it will be late before we get in, close to midnight.

I grew up in Charlotte, and still have family there. NWWC is a fun destination. I've been going to Carowinds since Thunder Road was "the big new ride" back in the 70's, now it's the old, retiring ride. Ha! (I'm old!!!)

We are really excited and looking forward. I'll try to remember to post up about the crowds.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:26 AM

We had a great trip. Turns out that the advice about water was really helpful. It was HOT and MUGGY there, but we had a blast.

Lines in the AM were non-existent. We walked onto most rides for the first hour, and knocked out 4 or 5 coasters before 11AM. Crowds picked up, but never got over 20-25 minutes for coasters, maybe up to an hour for Rip Roaring Rapids, but that's always a long wait on a hot day.

Couple other tips for others (to pay it back).

The water rides don't open until 11 or 12
Thunder Road was not open in the morning, and we did not go back to see if it opened later. (No biggie)
If you don't want to wait for a water ride, just go to the log-flume thing's observation deck and you'll get sufficiently soaked.
Riding that log flume thing is a much shorter line, and while not the greatest ride ever, it absolutely soaks you! :-) Be sure to take off your shoes and leave them on the exit platform.

Not only did we have a great time, but I also got to stock up on my Bourbon Whiskey at Frugel McDugals ($142 worth), so there will be more amusements to come. I'm not really a big drinker, but I like to sip on decent to good whiskey. That was just four bottles of medium stuff.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:08 AM

363 posts, read 445,136 times
I highly recommend the fast lane passes if your budget allows you to do so.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdm51 View Post
I highly recommend the fast lane passes if your budget allows you to do so.
Why (out of curiosity)? I stated the lines were non-existent, so what else does it buy you? Are there other benefits? We stayed until 4PM, and rode everything we wanted. We got it all in, and had some to spare.

I could see buying a fast pass on a holiday weekend, but what else does it get you when the lines already are not bad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte