Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 08:31 AM

653 posts, read 784,372 times

Advertisements

I am having my first home built in Indian Trail, NC and we are set to close in about 2 more weeks. The sod for the property was laid about 7-10 days ago, which coincided with this heat wave we have been getting. I don't think the sod has been watered consistently since it was laid down, combined with the triple digit temperatures, this has resulted in a very bad looking lawn/backyard.

I thought the agreement between seller and buyer was for a beautiful, green lawn to be included in the purchase of a newly built house? I understand that mother nature is unpredictable, but should I close on a house that has a bad-looking, possibly damaged lawn/backyard? Some people tell me I shoudn't...... It's my first home and I don't want to walk away from it, but what should I do? What can I do?

Any advice is appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 08:42 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,964,041 times
Talk to the builder. That's the only thing you can do. See if they will replace the sod.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:46 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,615,402 times
Have your builder PUT IN WRITING (at closing) what he/she will do to accommodate your need for a full, green lawn.
You can certainly talk to them now, before it all dies - and see if you can have provisions made to have it watered (AFTER THE SUN GOES DOWN) - on a regular basis to get it to green up.

Make sure whatever agreement is reached, is documented at closing so that if you end up having a brown lawn, you can fall back on the 'you agreed to' documentation.

Good luck, and congrats on your first home!

Old 06-22-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
Talk to the builder. That's the only thing you can do. See if they will replace the sod.
Thanks for the quick reply!!

What if they won't replace it? Do you think I can walk away from the property and get my deposit back? A nice backyard was at the top of my wife's and I priorities when purchasing a house. We have to little ones who we envisioned playing out there on a nice green backyard. I'm afraid of what the cost would be to replace, or revive the grass if I close on the property. Maybe I'm being paranoid as a first-time homebuyer, but I want to know all I can before I get into it with the builder.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
Have your builder PUT IN WRITING (at closing) what he/she will do to accommodate your need for a full, green lawn.
You can certainly talk to them now, before it all dies - and see if you can have provisions made to have it watered (AFTER THE SUN GOES DOWN) - on a regular basis to get it to green up.

Make sure whatever agreement is reached, is documented at closing so that if you end up having a brown lawn, you can fall back on the 'you agreed to' documentation.

Good luck, and congrats on your first home!
Thank you Tumf!!

I'm really hesitant about closing if I don't have the backyard I envisioned. This is really the only issue I've had in the whole process, but I don't want the headache of a dead lawn right after buying the house. I should be able to move in carefree.

I will definitely try to get something in writing, but don't know how comfortable I am about closing in the first place with a dead lawn/backyard. I guess I'm wondering if this is grounds for me to walk away and have my deposit refunded in full? I just want to be clear on what my options are.

Thanks again for replying!!

Old 06-22-2015, 08:56 AM

113 posts, read 150,199 times
Living in NC you will need to aerate and seed your lawn each year no matter how much you water. I would request that they re -sod in the fall and possibly counter with a credit to offset your costs associated with having the lawn aerated and seeded in the fall. As long as you do not let crabgrass take over the lawn during the summer - your lawn will turn out just fine in the fall.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:03 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,964,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeros318 View Post
Thank you Tumf!!

I'm really hesitant about closing if I don't have the backyard I envisioned. This is really the only issue I've had in the whole process, but I don't want the headache of a dead lawn right after buying the house. I should be able to move in carefree.

I will definitely try to get something in writing, but don't know how comfortable I am about closing in the first place with a dead lawn/backyard. I guess I'm wondering if this is grounds for me to walk away and have my deposit refunded in full? I just want to be clear on what my options are.

Thanks again for replying!!
You need to read your sales contract to see if you can walk away. I think it happens a lot especially with homes built in June/July. It happened to our next door neighbor when their house was first built. Our builder was not obligated to water our lawn or our neighbor's. We have had people ask to have their sod laid once they were in so they could water when needed.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:05 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,615,402 times
OP: Don't focus all your attention on the lawn... Yes, of course it's important, but don't let your concern about it keep you from seeing other issues that need to be addressed prior to closing...

Find out what type of sod was put down - I'm betting it was cheap KY Fescue... it's not as heat tolerant as other types - and is cheap... hence the reason it's wildly used by builders...

Old 06-22-2015, 09:33 AM

625 posts, read 489,631 times
Talk to your builder and see what they can do for you. We closed on our house in late May of last year. The lawn was pretty sad looking (but not dead since it was Bermuda grass) and one of the trees died. They had seeded the backyard, but most of the seed didn't take. They replaced the dead tree, but didn't do anything about the seed not taking. This time of year is just plain old horrible for sodding or seeding. Anyway, you may get something in writting from them so that they'll sod at a better time of year. Most builders have some sort of annual warranty. Don't get hung up on the sodding, and see if they can get you Bermuda, it's much more durable in this weather!

Old 06-22-2015, 09:34 AM

I hired an independent home inspector for reassurance about the whole build. In his initial visit (pre-drywall) he said everything was fine and was actually very impressed by the work. He is scheduled to come out for a final inspection this Thursday, 6/25.

I believe the sod is some type of Bermuda grass. Parts of the backyard look green, but I'd say it's about 10% of the whole area. The front lawn is completely brown. I just don't think they have been watering it like I saw them do with the other new homes built next to, and across from my property. Everytime I went to see the progree being made, I would see the other homes' lawns being watered down. I haven't seen it once with our house. The neighbor told me yesterday that they had a water truck there about 5 or 6 days ago to water our lawn and backyard, but shouldn't new sod be watered every day to ensure it is healthy and grows fine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte