Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 07:06 AM

653 posts, read 783,997 times

Advertisements

I'm considering renting a car for a trip to NY in November. I simply don't want to put the mileage on my car. I've never rented a car for a round-trip this long, and was wondering if I'm overlooking any issues or problems with doing so. Normally, I get "unlimited" miles when I rent a car, but the round-trip to NY is ~1,200 miles. I'm just wondering if anyone else has done this before. Not necessarily to NY, but anywhere. If so, what was your experience like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 07:29 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,384,606 times
I do it every year to go visit my wife's family in Pennsylvania at Thanksgiving. Works great. Enterprise is usually the most convenient because they have non-airport locations, but some others do too. Just check the hours of operation for the location you use, so you don't try to return the car at 7:00 PM, when they close at 6:00 PM, for example.

Sometimes its cheaper to rent for an entire week, as opposed to 4 or 5 days, so play around with the dates. I usually use priceline.com

Old 08-12-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
I do it every year to go visit my wife's family in Pennsylvania at Thanksgiving. Works great. Enterprise is usually the most convenient because they have non-airport locations, but some others do too. Just check the hours of operation for the location you use, so you don't try to return the car at 7:00 PM, when they close at 6:00 PM, for example.

Sometimes its cheaper to rent for an entire week, as opposed to 4 or 5 days, so play around with the dates. I usually use priceline.com
Thanks for the feedback!! I am planning to visit my family for Thanksgiving this year and am strongly considering the rental. I am also going thru Priceline. Thanks for the tips you mentioned above. Will definitely keep it in mind.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:41 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,348,792 times
I do it often for the same reason of not wanting to put the miles on my own car. Taxes are usually lower at non-airport locations.

I have to use Avis for work so not sure how different the others are but I believe in most cases as long as you pick up and drop off from the same place you get unlimited miles.

Only concern of course is if anything happens to the car. I know most people say not to get the insurance. Many credit cards actually include some rental car insurance if you use it to pay for the rental, so you would probably want to check on that.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I do it often for the same reason of not wanting to put the miles on my own car. Taxes are usually lower at non-airport locations.

I have to use Avis for work so not sure how different the others are but I believe in most cases as long as you pick up and drop off from the same place you get unlimited miles.

Only concern of course is if anything happens to the car. I know most people say not to get the insurance. Many credit cards actually include some rental car insurance if you use it to pay for the rental, so you would probably want to check on that.
Thanks for the feedback!! I checked with my personal insurance company (Allstate) and they confirmed that I would be covered on rentals under my full coverage policy.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:12 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,656,110 times
I used to do it all the time. Once my car is older I will do it again. Why put miles on an older car when you can rent one? Especially if heading north on the winter

Old 08-12-2015, 11:18 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,466,446 times
I look at it a little differently. If I need a larger vehicle, or different vehicle type than what I own for the trip, then I will rent. But, if my normal vehicle fits the needs than I'd rather pocket the $300+ that a rental would cost for the week, plus the time to get it to the rental office/paperwork/etc and use my own. A vehicle is a depreciating asset regardless of whether I put those 1200 miles on it this week or next week.

Certainly if your car might not mechanically be up to the challenge than that's a different story for sure.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:13 PM

166 posts, read 186,346 times
Like wolf said, you won't be putting a full $300 (cost of the rental) in wear and tear and depreciation I'm sure, unless your car is already on the brink. So it would be more expensive to rent a car.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:37 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,825,998 times
Last time I rented a car from enterprise, the unlimited mileage was only for SC, GA and Virginia. I happened to be going to Atlanta so it wasn't a big deal. But the salesperson did say if I went out of those states, I would have to pay for mileage and other fees. So clarify with them if the unlimited mileage apply to a road trip to NY.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:53 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,656,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Last time I rented a car from enterprise, the unlimited mileage was only for SC, GA and Virginia. I happened to be going to Atlanta so it wasn't a big deal. But the salesperson did say if I went out of those states, I would have to pay for mileage and other fees. So clarify with them if the unlimited mileage apply to a road trip to NY.
This is why I use Budget. Unlimited miles in any state and I can usually find a 20% off coupon on retailmenot.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte