Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 05:34 AM

5 posts, read 4,218 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am reaching out here becuase I'm looking to find a church in the North Charlotte/suburbs areas. I have a pretty specific list of things I would like to see - most of what I am looking for doesn't really match up with the beliefs of traditional fellowships and I completely understand that. I am not looking for a religious debate. I am hoping after describing what I am looking for someone out there can point me in the direction of a church that fits my needs.

My biggest challenge so far is that I am looking for a church that does NOT teach the Bible as the absolute infallible word of God. I would love to study the Bible and do not mind the idea of learning from its stories, but I can't get on board with a church that teaches the Bible is 100% true and right.

Now, maybe a church like this doesn't exist around here, I may just have to deal with that. But if anyone knows of one that has this more liberal view, your help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 05:40 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,213,226 times
Google liberal churches in Charlotte.. should find a few

Old 08-07-2015, 05:47 AM

Yeah I've tried searching online, the problem with that is 1.) Wading through the results of the hundreds of churches in Charlotte (quite a few call themselves "progressive" but when you read further you find out they aren't really...) and also I would love to get opinions from real people - not just what the church would like the public to hear

Old 08-07-2015, 06:12 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncyp View Post
(quite a few call themselves "progressive" but when you read further you find out they aren't really...) and also I would love to get opinions from real people - not just what the church would like the public to hear
You might like the United Church of Christ, which uses the motto: "God is still speaking". The Holy Covenant Church in Charlotte also supports its LGBT members as an "open and affirming" church.

You might also look into Unitarian Churches which broadly respect other religious traditions.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:28 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,383,394 times
Definitely Unitarian:

Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Lake Norman | An open and inclusive liberal faith community.
Welcome to Piedmont Unitarian Universalist Church

Old 08-07-2015, 06:43 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
Sounds like you want a therapy group.

By definition church is a place for Christians to worship, Christians believe in Christ, Son of God.

Nothing wrong with wanting "more" than God, but I don't think a church is where you should be looking.

A great church in the Huntersville area is St Marks Episcopal Church, but God and Christ are central to its message.

Their "mission" is Building community, living the way of Christ.
http://www.stmarksnc.com/

Old 08-07-2015, 06:46 AM

I have seriously considered Unitarian but I was concerned it might be too, I don't know, broad in its beliefs? I would like to be able to learn and grow in Christianity & wondered if the Unitarian church provided opportunities for that.

Thank you for your thoughts so far!

Old 08-07-2015, 06:48 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,383,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post

By definition church is a place for Christians to worship, Christians believe in Christ, Son of God.

Nothing wrong with wanting "more" than God, but I don't think a church is where you should be looking.

A great church in the Huntersville area is St Marks Episcopal Church, but God and Christ are central to its message.

http://www.stmarksnc.com/
Guess you missed this part of the OP's post:

"I am not looking for a religious debate."

So you shouldn't either.

Try to judge so much...its not the Episcopal way.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post

[URL="http://www.stmarksnc.com/"]http://www.stmarksnc.com/[/URL]

I didn't say I was looking for a church without God or Jesus, I said I didn't want one that focuses on the Bible being the unquestionable word of God.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:06 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncyp View Post
I didn't say I was looking for a church without God or Jesus, I said I didn't want one that focuses on the Bible being the unquestionable word of God.
I think you can continue looking for a mainstream church. There are many mainstream Christians who believe that the Bible is a historical document, and does not have to be interpreted literally. Many Christians do not believe the world was literally created in only seven days.

For example, the UCC motto that "God is still speaking" means to me, that we should be open to revelations happening today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte