Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 08:50 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,492,423 times

Advertisements

I watched Tiny House Nation and they showed a woman from Charlotte who built one of those to live in her friend's backyard.

It had me wondering (and I have a teen son who tells me he plans to live in one in our backyard some day, but that is probably just talk)........

What are the laws/ordinances, etc....for the areas around Charlotte? What are the rules in Charlotte proper?

Anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 09:08 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,383,394 times
There are 2 separate issues. One is a tiny house by itself, one is a tiny house in the backyard of a "regular" house.

The latter is permitted, subject to it not being larger than 35% of the square footage of the main house, with a max of 800 square feet. There are setback requirements as well.

I don't know about the former. The biggest obstacle may be fining a lot that isn't subject to a subdivision minimum house size. You should probably call the Planning Department at (704) 336-2205 and ask if their are any restrictions on minimum house size.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
There are 2 separate issues. One is a tiny house by itself, one is a tiny house in the backyard of a "regular" house.

The latter is permitted, subject to it not being larger than 35% of the square footage of the main house, with a max of 800 square feet. There are setback requirements as well.

I don't know about the former. The biggest obstacle may be fining a lot that isn't subject to a subdivision minimum house size. You should probably call the Planning Department at (704) 336-2205 and ask if their are any restrictions on minimum house size.
Interesting. Thanks.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:04 AM

416 posts, read 928,280 times
A lot of times wheels are put on them to get around zoning laws.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:23 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,070,151 times
Tiny houses with wheels = hipster trailers.

Old 11-02-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
Tiny houses with wheels = hipster trailers.
Yeah, the difference is the materials used and the resale value being much higher.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:48 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,465,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Yeah, the difference is the materials used and the resale value being much higher.
Yes, that's the hipster part of it. haha

Old 11-03-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
What shows resale value higher? Are you saying tiny houses mature in value or don't lose value as quickly as manufactured trailers?

Many manufactured trailers are actually very energy efficient and made with high quality materials. In fact, many city planning experts think the ability to use mass produced trailers in the future could be helpful for communities dealing with future energy crises and/or overpopulation strains.

I support anyone's right to do whatever they want, but think many of the houses are impractical and more of an art project than a home solution. Most tiny house enthusiasts are more interested in decorating a small space than building an efficient home. They love the idea of living in a small space, but don't consider or prioritize the realistic limitations and necessities of doing so. It would be better for the environment and their wallet to just buy a trailer if they really want to live in a small space, but they won't do that because trailers don't appeal to their eye. The large majority of tiny house builders do not live in them full time, but treat them more like adult playhouses for their backyards.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:35 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,465,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
What shows resale value higher? Are you saying tiny houses mature in value or don't lose value as quickly as manufactured trailers?

Many manufactured trailers are actually very energy efficient and made with high quality materials. In fact, many city planning experts think the ability to use mass produced trailers in the future could be helpful for communities dealing with future energy crises and/or overpopulation strains.

I support anyone's right to do whatever they want, but think many of the houses are impractical and more of an art project than a home solution. Most tiny house enthusiasts are more interested in decorating a small space than building an efficient home. They love the idea of living in a small space, but don't consider or prioritize the realistic limitations and necessities of doing so. It would be better for the environment and their wallet to just buy a trailer if they really want to live in a small space, but they won't do that because trailers don't appeal to their eye. The large majority of tiny house builders do not live in them full time, but treat them more like adult playhouses for their backyards.
I will say I'm intrigued by "tiny houses" just from being a lover of all things efficient. As you mentioned though in your post, many are doing it because it's cool or the new "in" thing to do versus wanting to really maximize every inch and leave a smaller footprint on the world. Not saying that's the case with the OP's family at all, just to be clear.

I personally could never live in a tiny house full time but certainly would consider one as an option if I ever bought some vacation land on a lake or mountain at some point.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:55 PM

I love the idea of having a really tiny mountain cabin with an awesome view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte