Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 06:31 PM

645 posts, read 1,069,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NALEXAND View Post
Are you referring to the Civil War?
Yes, the American Civil War. I referred to The War Between the States in deference to the international community.

That was also how my neighbors referred to the conflict. I had an American history professor who referred to it as The War of Secession.
The Congressional Record of 1906 (or '07, or '08-- I forget which)refers to the conflict as a war between the states and it is often referred to as such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 06:43 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBGood View Post
Yes, the American Civil War. I referred to The War Between the States in deference to the international community.

That was also how my neighbors referred to the conflict. I had an American history professor who referred to it as The War of Secession.
The Congressional Record of 1906 (or '07, or '08-- I forget which)refers to the conflict as a war between the states and it is often referred to as such.
Also, The War for Southern Independence. Or just "The War".

Old 01-11-2016, 06:44 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:

My personal preference of all of the euphemisms for the US Civil War was "The Late Unpleasantness".

Old 01-12-2016, 08:35 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times
What's really interesting is I grew up back east and we were well aware of the war and events surrounding it. Growing up in the North (Massachusetts), and especially when we moved to the south (North Carolina), you often heard people make references to the war in casual conversation from time to time. However, when we moved west it's almost as if the war didn't happen. Other than high school history classes you NEVER hear talk about it.

It's also interesting to hear how people outside the U.S. refer to it.

Last edited by goolsbyjazz; 01-12-2016 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-12-2016, 09:28 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:

Don't forget my favorite, the War of Northern Aggression.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:36 PM

670 posts, read 1,277,823 times
I wasn't aware of all of the names for the Civil War. You guys have taught me something. Its interesting that it's still a hot topic so many years later.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:05 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,909 times
Hmm, how quickly I readjusted to having a longer amount of day light hours. Funny but I'm serious. I lived in Boston for a long time before coming here (wow 10 years ago this year!) and in the winter it would be just about completely dark outside by around 4pm-430pm. I went back up there a couple weeks ago and was bummed out due to the lack of sunlight. While it's cold here in the Winter there's plenty of sunny days to keep you smiling.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:24 PM

25 posts, read 47,746 times
I have been in Tampa for 4 months now and I can't wait to leave! My choice was Tampa or Charlotte...and despite visiting CLT many times and never visiting Tampa, I chose Tampa! I am from the midwest and I cannot get used to the shock of so many houses so close together...the traffic and just massive amounts of people everywhere. I was hoping for a slow-paced, relaxed life but that is not life here.

Good luck to you! Are you searching for employment prior to your relocation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NALEXAND View Post
Hi there, I am reconsidering a relo from Tampa, FL to Charlotte AGAIN. Charlotte has been on my heart for over 10 years and now that I have a job that is remote, I can make it happen. I would love to hear from any Floridians who have relocated and hear what they miss, if anything about FL. Most importantly, I know that there are tons of RELO threads and info on here but I am interested in some current updates from anyone who moved to Charlotte that can share info that they wish they had known before moving to Charlotte. Did anything catch you off guard or could have potentially swayed your decision had you known?

Thanks in advance for your help

Kind Regards!

Old 01-22-2016, 01:52 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,069,694 times
The most racism I've ever been around was in Boston.

Nobody with a straight face can tell me people in Charlotte are more fascinated or obsessed with race than other parts of the country. We actually have a fairly diverse city compared to most across the country (which isn't really their fault...just demographics).

Look at what happened when Detroit and Boston tried to desegregate their schools (based on Charlotte's model of success btw) - there were riots in the streets. The subsequent white flight tore apart neighborhoods and decimated schools. Entire sections of those cities that were once urban centers are now still suffering.

Around the time Gone With Wind was released in 1940, there was a growing, uneducated and naive segment of southern affluent that stoked popular, romantic sentiment of the South. The idea of the Southern aristocratic family that glosses over some of the obvious atrocities of slavery and the brutality of the war itself is a modern phenomenon. I would also argue that this phenomenon is also perpetuated by the rest of the country's fascination with the event as much as the South's obsession over it.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:55 AM

3 posts, read 3,071 times
If you live in an apt complex they can charge you a flat rate of $300-$350 AND $15/month/pet to have your pet there. I know it's it true, it was in my lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte